Post Thanks / Like

Two Things I Need to Do More Often

Two things that I find I`m kicking myself for not doing more frequently is claying and using tire cleaner.

Usually I`m pressed for time for one reason or another when I`m detailing. For instance, on an early-Spring cleanup here in the Northeast, where you just want to get some fresh protection on the car, I figure I`ll just skip the clay and throw on some sort of LSP...then when this brown gunk is coming off on my applicator/buffing towel I think "gee, I really should have clayed this stuff off first". See, I like to clay after washing...with the wash soap...but usually I`m so intent on getting the washing done and then drying before I get any spotting/streaking and before it gets dark and cold (in the spring)...that I wind up not claying. NOTE TO SELF: Clay more!

I generally clean my tires/wheels with car wash soap. I scrub the tires and usually they seem pretty clean and then I dress them. I generally don`t like to use wheel cleaners unless I really have to, because I don`t want to strip the LSP off my wheels (when I rotate I take the wheels off and give them a good clean, polish, and seal), and I generally don`t like to use tire cleaners because they tend to be caustic and overspray may spot, or strip the LSP from the wheels or adjacent painted areas of the car. Another issue with the caustic cleaners is my fear they are actually pulling the anti-ozonants out of the tire.

But sometimes the tires get brown and gunky and they beg for some sort of cleaner. When I do use a tire cleaner, my dressing results generally seem to be much better...and then I say "why don`t I do this more often?" NOTE TO SELF: Use tire cleaner more often.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your doing good at least trying to keep it clean. The rains, pollen, tree buds, mud, etc, here in Ohio are making things a mess. My DD is a total embarrassment.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Things I Need to Do More Often

Once a tire is clean, the Poorboy`s World Tire Dressing keeps them clean and dresses them with every application. Weekly wash maintenance is all that needed when using PW tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the usual reason is just to reduce time.

I know some use ONR (including myself) but ONR really can`t clean wells, tires, and wheels that well. I find cleaning the tire area very time consuming part of the washing process so once i a while I just hose it down, quick wipe with soap, and then get to washing. I have not have much luck with truly spray and rinse type cleaners. It always benefits from some agitation.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

For my personal vehicles I take time to spot clay throughout the year. This is usually relegated to the hood and leading edges. This seems to help save time as I don`t normally do a complete (all-over) clay session more than twice a year.

Pre-spraying the tires and wheel wells w/and APC dilution before washing the wheels and tires with a "heavy" car soap dilution is part of my regular wash process. A couple of tire brushes and a couple of wheel brushes also help to provide a thorough cleaning. And yeah, it does mean that you will spend as much time on these areas of your vehicle as some claim to spend washing their entire vehicle.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    See, I like to clay after washing...with the wash soap....
    I`m another one who does this - although not sure if in the same fashion.

1 - Wash panel as normal (using multi-bucket & multi-media)
    2 - Clay washed area with wash solution as lubricant
    3 - rinse and move on to next panel

All the while keeping the vehicle wet with fresh water. This can be a pretty daunting task during the spring & summer here even without trying to add the clay step in the normal wash routine.

I`ve gotten strange looks from the neighbors by setting out a second hose (ran from another spigot) to "rain" on the vehicle as I wash during the summer. I think it helps - if nothing more than helping to keep me cool by getting a little "rain" myself.

Thread Information