Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

microfiber ot terry any recomendations??

hey guys ive been detailing cars for 2 years i use the 2bucket method, and i have all mf towls now i just bought A 2009 PEARL WHITE mazda speed3 now i have taken it to the local car wash bay not thru the auto wash i use two wash mits one for top half of car n one for bottom, then dry with mf towl i now have light like lines not swirls is it becuase im using mf towles to dry n wax the car please help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber ot terry any recomendations??

Ive used mf drying towels for a long time now and have found them to be the safest way to do anything. I would really doubt its from the towel itself unless you accidently picked up something and dragged it down the side of the car. These things do happen and you dont even realize it until its too late. If I was to guess, I bet thats what happened. With you using the 2 bucket, 2 mitt method I highly doubt it happened during washing. Microfiber is the way to go, just make sure they are compleatly free of debris and dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uadetailing View Post
    hey guys ive been detailing cars for 2 years i use the 2bucket method, and i have all mf towls now i just bought A 2009 PEARL WHITE mazda speed3 now i have taken it to the local car wash bay not thru the auto wash i use two wash mits one for top half of car n one for bottom, then dry with mf towl i now have light like lines not swirls is it becuase im using mf towles to dry n wax the car please help
    My guess is that it is more about process than it is materials. MF are very safe, provided you are not using very inexpensive ones from costco or sams that have fishing line in the seam/edge! I personally use the DMT or the Euroshag towels. I have a few WW drying towels that I use to get the bulk of the water off, then use a leaf blower to get the seams and molding then finish up with a DMT or ultra plush. I keep my drying towels dedicated to drying only.

As far as washing, glad you have 2 mits onne for top other for the bottom. Remember to rinse these often. How, often depends on how dirty. Also, what shampoo are you using? I have used a few and the good ones from my perspective are PB Super Slick and Suds, Mothers California Gold, Ultima Shampoo, P21S Body shampoo and if the car is not too dirty Lusso Shampoo. Over the years I have tried these they perform. Hard to say what is best becasue other than the Lusso they are all equal. The Lusso is for maintnencce washing, not for seriously dirty cars, but it will not degrade the LSP since it is so mild and I like that on my car provided its not trashed.

You dont need to spend a fortune on shampoo, just dont use dish soap as you go to wash.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many possible sources of marring and it only takes one slip....

What kind of wash mitts are you using?
    How much downward pressure do you apply when washing?
    Are you using your soap at the proper dilution?
    Are you washing and rinsing your wash mitts regularly?
    Do you check the mitt to see if it is clean as you go?
    Are you sure you are getting it clean before drying?
    How do you dry? Too much pressure?
    What do you mean by "dry n wax"?
    How do you wax? Foam or mf applicable?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

2010 Mazdaspeed3 here!

We carry the Cobra brand Microfiber towels. They`re also what I use on my own Mazdaspeed.

Use the Cobra Guzzler for drying: Cobra Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 20 x 40 inches

For quick detailing and wax removal, I use the Cobra Super Plush Deluxe 600: Cobra Super Plush Deluxe 600 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 24 inches

I also use the Waffle Weave Glass towel for streak free window cleaning, and the black all purpose/wheel towel for when I`m finishing up the wheels. I know there are lots of choices out there, but I`ve found cobra to be of the highest quality.

Here`s a complete list of all things Microfiber here at the store.
    Microfiber Detailing Towels, Buffing Towels, Drying Towels & Other Towels for Car Detailing

Also, take a look at this quick article on tips for how to safely clean your car for a swirl free shine
    How To Wash Your Car - How to properly wash your car to avoid swirl and scratches.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    There are so many possible sources of marring and it only takes one slip....

What kind of wash mitts are you using?
    How much downward pressure do you apply when washing?
    Are you using your soap at the proper dilution?
    Are you washing and rinsing your wash mitts regularly?
    Do you check the mitt to see if it is clean as you go?
    Are you sure you are getting it clean before drying?
    How do you dry? Too much pressure?
    What do you mean by "dry n wax"?
    How do you wax? Foam or mf applicable?
    I AGREE you will need to review your whole process because somewhere you made a mistake.
    I like to spend a little extra time making sure I have my wash mitt clean before doing the next panel it is easy to miss a vital step.

Post Thanks / Like

^ True, the bottom half of the car may have heavy embedded contaminants. Have you ever used a clay bar before? That could be the simple solution.

These cars do run rich and as you may have noticed, you`ll get lots of soot on the rear bumper. That could easily be a transfer of grime causing your paint to show swirls.

Starting from scratch would probably be a good idea. I would invest in a Porter Cable to remove those swirls.

Hope you can chime in with your process and your current detailing arsenals so we can better gauge a solution.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

i just bought A 2009 PEARL WHITE mazda speed3 now i have taken it to the local car wash bay not thru the auto wash i use two wash mits one for top half of car n one for bottom, then dry with mf towl i now have light like lines not swirls is it becuase im using mf towles to dry n wax the car please help

OK I`m going to say this... I think your washing and drying has gotten better over the two years you have been here.

I think your problem is you bought a used car and expect the detailer at the lot to share your same passion for not having a swirled car.

I bet that when you washed it, out came the fillers and you now have scratches and swirls that where once covered.

Once you have the time and the nice weather you can polish out your car and know the job was done right.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber OT terry any recomendations??

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    OK I`m going to say this... I think your washing and drying has gotten better over the two years you have been here.

I think your problem is you bought a used car and expect the detailer at the lot to share your same passion for not having a swirled car.

I bet that when you washed it, out came the fillers and you now have scratches and swirls that where once covered.

Once you have the time and the nice weather you can polish out your car and know the job was done right.
    Good thought Patrick you very well could be right.

Post Thanks / Like

hey john sorry didint chime i nsooner i forgot to mention i have a pc 7425 along with pb ssr1 which ima use cuz there very mild like scartches there not swirls i belive my mf arent clean. the cobra sounds good but is it safe for me to use that gel tblade on my car reason i ask if it is. i wanan go with that becuase i live in an apt and can do my laundry all the time i have to go to the laundry mat

Post Thanks / Like

hey john sorry didint chime i nsooner i forgot to mention i have a pc 7425 along with pb ssr1 which ima use cuz there very mild like scartches there not swirls i belive my mf arent clean. the cobra sounds good but is it safe for me to use that gel tblade on my car reason i ask if it is. i wanan go with that becuase i live in an apt and can do my laundry all the time i have to go to the laundry mat

I too live in an apartment, but still use my Cobra Guzzlers to dry my vehicle. The drying blades are convenient, but I find myself always using the microfiber drying towels. You`re less likely to cause anymore swirls or marring.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

I to have actually been running into the same problem on dark color vehicles, I have been noticing light scratches in my client(s) paint that I have never seen before. I have been using the MF Towels from SAMS the blue one`s and have never really had a problem with them. I make sure that they are clean everytime I use them. However, I use a soft brissel brush (the green one) and only one bucket but I clean the brush before each wash. That could be whats scratching the vehicles?!?

Post Thanks / Like

oh ya so you can cause marring with the blade?? ok wel lill inviest in some btr mf towels. i have some armorall mf some from this site, ya i caused marring on my mazda paint i think becuase i leave my mf towels out in the open not ina ziplock bag or anything. well i washed em then put them in ziplock bags right away.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that i`m the grammar police or anything but reading some of these posts make my head hurt.

Maybe you should try to use Google chrome as it has a spell check built in.

Anyways I really done like the blades because they are prone to dragging dirt.

I know I always seem to miss a spot when washing no matter if I double wash or not.

I don`t keep my MF in bags.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to cut down on towel usage probably one or two than use the jelly blade for the windows and the windows ONLY. I do this when I wash at my FD or Ambulance Corp because I do not own a Jelly blade but they do haha so I just do my windows and sun roof and honestly It cuts down on about two or three WW towels. Lotta surface area in windows on cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information