Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi-Def Mobile Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streak Free Windows???

Quote Originally Posted by GothamAuto View Post
    1/1 Denatured Alcohol and distilled water.

Do you use this on tinted glass?

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the process was covered fairly well in this thread.

-I use a dedicated MF towel for glass only. (neon green ones) They ONLY get used on glass and washed by themselves with a little less detergent than normal. 1/2 cup of vinegar, white distilled, for the rinse. They also get a 2nd rinse. Warm water. Dryer dried on low setting.
    -I use multiple towels on the inside of the vehicle to make sure they are streak free. I normally use about 5. I always do the glass last on an interior, always. Put a towel down over the dash and spray the glass, wipe up and down, then side to side. Foling the MF in a square and keep flipping it to a fresh side. I then go over with a clean dry towel afterwards as mentioned in the thread already.
    -Back glass gets the same treatment, only I find myself going over it twice with glass cleaner. It seems that many people don`t clean the back glass in their cars and the build up gets heavy.
    -Door glass, I do the inside door glass last, after I wash the car. I roll all the windows down just enought to clean the top edge of each window. ( I use a different MF towel to clean inside the window channel) I then roll them up and clean the inside the same was as the windshield.
    -The outside glass gets the same treatment. If the exterior glass is bad, I use a different glass cleaner mix. Same glass cleaner, only with a tad of distilled white vinegar on it.

-Try to stay out of dirrect sunlight when clenaing windows. It has been my experience that they tend to streak a little more when the glass is hot.
    Call me crazy, but when it is HOT outside, I will run the AC in the car on defroster to get the windshield cold/cool, and then clean it. When it`s cold out and the cleaner doesn`t evap as good as it should, I run the heater on defrost.

-If you ise a concentrated glass cleaner that you have to dilute, use FILTERED (soft, RO, DI, etc..) water. It will produse better results. (from my experience) Tap water is usually hard water.

It`s all about the right tools.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Huey, the alcohol wont hurt tinted glass. amonia, on the other hand, will destroy the tint/adhesive. The glass cleaner i used to buy from Rightlook says to mix a capful of denatured alcohol with the cleaner and water to help with streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post
    Also, are you using cloths that are dedicated to glass? If you are just grabbing any cloth or are washing all your cloths together, you will have a residue in the cloth that can transfer to the window.
    See, this is something I have no control over either, my boss washes all my MF towels, and I`m thinking that sometimes he uses way too much detergent when he washes them. I`ve already had a problem with him melting some of the MF towels because he had the dryer setting on high. And the problem with that is it always backfires on me and makes me look bad. I`ve already had to go back to a customers house and give her windows more treatment, and even after I gave it a second hit, there was still streaks on the windows! This stuff is killing me.... Just killing me...

Now what about greasy ciggarette smoke on windows? Is there some kind of product for this? Stoners maybe???
    Get your shine on!

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can`t control the condition/care of the cloths, you may want to invest in a glass cloth (or 3) of your own. Bring it with you to work and bring it home at night. They aren`t that expensive and if it saves you aggravation, it may well be worth the cost.
    PB`s Velvet smooth is $4 ea. or 3 for $18 (incl. a bottle of S+W)
    AutoGeek has a WW glass cloth for $10
    Mothers has a WW for $8

You may also get Huck towels locally which are cotton and no nap, usually blue. They also last a long time. I have yet to wear one out. They are also sometimes called surgical towels. Maybe you could get a couple from a vet or hospital in your area.

As to the smoke. Try cleaning with a cotton towel and a degreaser. The cotton towel (like a rough bath towel) will have more "bite" than a typical MF towel so you can scrub the glass better. After you have the bulk off, you can go over it again with a glass cleaner, vinegar or alcohol and your (dedicated) glass cloth. In really bad cases, you might try a bug sponge to scrub it clean. Be careful of drips, though. You don`t want to be sloshing water all over the interior of the car. Get into the habit of being neat and tidy as you clean. It will save time in the long run as you won`t be cleaning up after yourself or giving a car back to a customer without realizing you missed an area that you re-dirtied but didn`t re-clean.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

On tinted glass, I just use distilled water and a MF towel. Window film cleans up MUCH easier than glass itself.
    If the tinted film is really dirty, I might use the 1/1 alcohol/water, in small amounts, it`s not going to damage the adhesive.
    The best thing to keep in mind when cleaning glass is that less is more. Streaks are usually not caused by dirty windows, they are usually caused by the person using too much product.
    Gotham Auto Works Detailing Center
    9 South Street Danbury, CT
    (203) 885-1070
    www.GothamAuto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gotham I agree. I had stated too much leads to streaks. This might be because of humidity here in Florida, but I couldn`t say because I haven`t detailed anywhere else. I know what works for me and I know too much product always creates more work

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, believe me, it`s not just because you are in the Florida humidity, but that does contribute to it more.

I had a customer come in once who swore that she just could not get her windows streak free. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was soaking them with glass cleaner and wiping it off and still getting streaks. Since that didn`t work, her next step was picking up the pre-soaked glass cleaner towels that come in the little plastic can, and she was soaking the windows with glass cleaner from the bottle AND THEN using the the pre-soaked towels. She had the whole car detailed, but basically paid me $300 to get her glass clean.
    Gotham Auto Works Detailing Center
    9 South Street Danbury, CT
    (203) 885-1070
    www.GothamAuto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Well if I am going to buy a glass cleaner I need it to take ciggarette infested stains out of windows, and not have any ammonia in it so I can clean tinted windows too. Now does this stoner or whatever do that?
    I used stoner`s for along time but them i got a free bottle of Pro Super Glass Gleam after spending way to much money on that damn truck. Its not blue like other glass cleaners its pink which kinda threw me off but u use one spray on the window wipe it down and then use anothe MF to buff it and i swear u will have the best looking windows ever and it comes in a gallon jug concentrated. And its Tint safe

Post Thanks / Like

Newspaper and Stoners work best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

What i have found that works for me is using a small amount of glass cleaner and drying with a slightly damp synthetic chamois. I think i may also use a few of everyones tricks also.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information