Post Thanks / Like

Cloth seat cleaning

Have been doing some researching, but haven`t really come up with the answer I think I have been seeking.

I want to clean the cloth seats in my 05 Subaru. I have a Shark steam cleaner, a shop vac, and a LGM (non-heated). What is the best way to clean the seats so they get clean but aren`t saturated and take forever to dry?

I have heard people talk about using a steamer, but not HOW they use the steamer. Shop vac method is self-explanatory, but not sure how well it really gets all of the water out (especially now that it is get colder outside, so the seats won`t dry as quickly). My LGM never seemed to have much suction and it is getting pretty old.

The other item I was looking at (always looking for an excuse to buy more tools ) was the Tornador.

Also, my cloth seats are heated. Any concerns there since the seats will get wet and damage to the heating elements/electronics?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere. Work, etc. has been pretty stressful lately and I have been feeling particularly dense

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cloth seat cleaning

The shark steamer isn`t gonna cut it. The machines you hear people speak of are high powered vapor steamers that can cost thousands. The LGM will likely get the stains out, but it will leave the seats looking worse be ause the fabric used these days have horrible probs with water stains and unless you soak the seat evenly and extract evenly, it will never look right. Try a dry foam method like Tuff Stuff or Blue Coral and a mf towel first and see how that goes. I have a method for cleaning cloth seats but everyone on DC would think I was crazy as hell lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    The shark steamer isn`t gonna cut it. The machines you hear people speak of are high powered vapor steamers that can cost thousands. The LGM will likely get the stains out, but it will leave the seats looking worse be ause the fabric used these days have horrible probs with water stains and unless you soak the seat evenly and extract evenly, it will never look right. Try a dry foam method like Tuff Stuff or Blue Coral and a mf towel first and see how that goes. I have a method for cleaning cloth seats but everyone on DC would think I was crazy as hell lol
    I`ve been using the Blue Coral with a soft bristle brush and that`s removed almost everything that I`ve come across.

I shop vac the seats to start, apply the cleaner, let dwell, brush then shop vac again.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Hi-Def Mobile Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea that blue magic foam stuff works good. The only negative to it is that it has an extremely strong odor to work with. I have the tornador, and it works great, but I usually just use it for "spot jobs".

Post Thanks / Like

BB,
    I think I have tried the Blue Coral and don`t recall being a big fan of it. I think I still have the can and will give it another try. Probably need to find a good brush. The only brush (other than what is attached to it) is a stiff nylon brush I use for floor mats.

The seats aren`t stained or anything, just 6 years old and could use a good deep cleaning. The seats are a rather stiff cloth, not velour-ish at all, so I want to make sure I don`t mess them up.

Thanks,
    Neil

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten the best results on fabric seats by doing a thorough vacuum with a 5HP. or better shop vac and then misting the fabric with a quality APC such as Poorboy`s APC mixed 10 to 1 then scrubbing vigorously with a clean microfiber towel.

I find that trying an extraction method using home owner grade tools only brings the dirt that is ground into the seat`s foam up to the surface and makes more of a mess than I started with.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself use ammonia and water. I simply wipe with the solution and then wipe off with a dry towel. !st towel dunk and wring out. Cleans great and dry fast BUT smells bad while useing . No oder after drying.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Tuff Stuff and a soft brush method. If used with a MF, I`ve found this even works with the new headliner materials too. I still won`t mess with the old headliner materials.

I have a spray bottle with just water in it to just mist the seat before spraying with the Tuff Stuff. Let it sit for a minute and then brush and vac out.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornador® air/liquid cleaning tool

[: Venturi effect is the reduction in fluid pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe] [1]

If you have access to a compressed air supply (@90 PSI) this tool will efficiently clean interior surfaces including carpets and mats. A spinning Venturi tube that dispenses the air and liquid or you can use just air if you turn the liquid off; it creates a vortex that causes the dirt to be drawn up the white funnel. It vacuums dirt and residue and you just place it in water and then turn the leaver and use a short blast of air through it to dry and it self- cleans. Makes interior cleaning more efficient and easier but the expense of the tool and the air supply just may make it a little too expensive for hobby detailers.

Tornador air/liquid cleaning tool- this product is totally unique; its air driven oscillating tip and nozzle creates a venturi (tornado) cleaning action that tackles some of the most challenging jobs. Save time and product costs. Clean dirty car interiors faster and better, for cleaning hard vinyl, plastic, storage pockets, door jambs, nooks, crannies, consoles, dashboards, and other hard to reach areas of automotive interiors.

It uses a unique pressurized air process to spray a mixture of water and soap onto a dirty surface. After wiping area with a towel or brushing area simply turn a lever to air purge and help dry the cleaned surfaces. Requires a minimum air pressure of 5.0 CFM @ 60 to 90 PSI, for optimum performance (max 110 PSI) (approx 130 USD)

To clean any surface, dilute a cleaner (P21S® High Performance Total Auto Wash) as necessary; turn the liquid valve straight up and use an overlapping motion as you pass the gun over the surface. If necessary, allow the cleaning liquid to dwell for 10-15 seconds. Use a microfiber towel to absorb excess liquid. Then turn the liquid valve off and use the compressed air to dry the cleaned area.

Air Blow Out Tool - great tool to use to blow out auto interiors to remove debris from underneath seats, pockets, rear shelf’s above seats, etc. We also like this tool to assist with drying and dressing wet engines after power washing and detailing them. This tool offers a much wider air dispense opening.

Cone Brush - easily attaches to the Cleaning Tool, to loosen dirt in hard to reach areas. Soft bristles will not scratch. Rotation vibrates bristles for constant cleaning. Creates safe distance for delicate areas to be cleaned, the Cone Brush will help deflect loose debris.

Note: trim the bristles on this brush about half way down to get better results for detailing and cleaning car interiors.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information