Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Over All Expertise Count?

I read on a few other car / detail forums, and the one thing that I see with quite a few posters, is they are WAY proud of the paint correction. In a lot of cases the work is very impressive

However what about the over all cleaning and conditioning of the car?

In the years that I have detailed I have developed a time and process for every square inch of the car. I pride myself on making sure that every aspect of the car is addressed and brought back to as close as new that`s possible.

OK I`m stepping off the soap box it just drives me crazy when someone can only post thread after thread of one aspect of the detail and not even mention what else was done!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Over All Expertise Count?

i cleaned my windows one time... does that count?
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

You`re totally correct beemerboy - way before this current evolution of hybrid paint correctionists, the truest technician did reconditioning. IMHO if you aren`t fluent in 100% of the ins & outs of this trade you aren`t squat in my book. Yeah, everyone has to cater to the market they dwell within, but only specializing in paint correction work is minimal to the full gamut of the game. Some just don`t have a clue how to recondition a f`d up vehicle.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    You`re totally correct beemerboy - way before this current evolution of hybrid paint correctionists, the truest technician did reconditioning. IMHO if you aren`t fluent in 100% of the ins & outs of this trade you aren`t squat in my book. Yeah, everyone has to cater to the market they dwell within, but only specializing in paint correction work is minimal to the full gamut of the game. Some just don`t have a clue how to recondition a f`d up vehicle.
    Thanks David

Yes there seems to me a number of paint correcionists these days...

And really correcting clear coat is no big deal to me, just about anyone with a PC can do a half a$$ job of it with practice.

I see one guy on a BMW site that posts thread with over 100 pics of every angle he used on the paint, but not ONE of the inside or mention. When he was asked about it, he said that he hates to do interiors so he lets one of his guys do it for him..IMO...HACK!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    ...I see one guy on a BMW site that posts thread with over 100 pics of every angle he used on the paint, but not ONE of the inside or mention. ...
    Beemerboy, this guy seems to have gotten under your skin. If I`m not mistaken this is at least the second thread you`ve dedicated to him here. I`ve got a suggestion. Don`t read his posts. Life is way too short.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Beemerboy, this guy seems to have gotten under your skin. If I`m not mistaken this is at least the second thread you`ve dedicated to him here. I`ve got a suggestion. Don`t read his posts. Life is way too short.
    Mr.C

This thread wasn`t about him its a general statement that I see of detail posts on many other forums I post and read on.

I used him again only because he is the biggest violator of the ones that I see posting. I don`t post on his threads, but because I do enjoy, helping posters on that BMW site, and I`m well respected their, I can`t help but see the 6 or better threads he is running daily

Its like the train wreck syndrome

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Click N Brags sure have come a long way in the last 2 years. Everyone is doing paint corrections on exotics. Even most of the info threads many of the high profile detailers start only focus on making paint as perfect as possible and all the techniques surrounding it. Makes you think whether or not even these people that come off as experts know their way around a vehicle. I love seeing Click N Brags showing the real deal on the interior & engine pics. Dirty gas pedals, ultra shiny trim, light spot cleaned interior and a bunch of pretty lines in the carpet.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d rather see older cars get redone. It takes way less talent and work to clean up a new car than one that`s 10-15 years old. Show me your skills thru a basket case save.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Cro0oz1n;319147]I`d rather see older cars get redone. It takes way less talent and work to clean up a new car than one that`s 10-15 years old. Show me your skills thru a basket case save.[/QUOTE

Bingo!

A two year old car with swirls from whatever means nothing to me I`ve seen tons of them]

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

When I go to a show with my car and raise the hood you can see the under side of the fender wells and all the suspension parts.

Other cars just clean the exterior of the body I have to clean all the suspension.

I think detailing can go far beyond just making it clean.

Since all the suspension on my car is made from aluminum I sanded then polished all of it until it looks like chrome.

I did the same to the intake manifold we are talking not days but months of work to do this and now I have to keep it all polished.

You can take detailing to a whole different level if you want to but for a daily driver it would be very difficult to maintain.

If I was not retired my engine bay on my daily driver would not look like it does now.

I would not have the time to keep it that way and I sure as hell would not pay someone else to keep it looking new.

Here is a couple photos how would you like to maintain this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    When I go to a show with my car and raise the hood you can see the under side of the fender wells and all the suspension parts.

Other cars just clean the exterior of the body I have to clean all the suspension.

I think detailing can go far beyond just making it clean.

Since all the suspension on my car is made from aluminum I sanded then polished all of it until it looks like chrome.

I did the same to the intake manifold we are talking not days but months of work to do this and now I have to keep it all polished.

You can take detailing to a whole different level if you want to but for a daily driver it would be very difficult to maintain.

If I was not retired my engine bay on my daily driver would not look like it does now.

I would not have the time to keep it that way and I sure as hell would not pay someone else to keep it looking new.

Here is a couple photos how would you like to maintain this
    BB...Nice engine bay! Its no wonders you liked the aluminum polishing I posted.

That`s what I call concourse level detailing, its for show cars, and most if not all are not driven they are for competing only.

I went to the Concourse de Elegance, Monterey, most of the show cars are trailed in with covers on the tires so as not to get dirt or grass stains on the them....now that`s anal...

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I see one guy on a BMW site that posts thread with over 100 pics of every angle he used on the paint, but not ONE of the inside or mention. When he was asked about it, he said that he hates to do interiors so he lets one of his guys do it for him..IMO...HACK!
    I don`t like to do intercompany & subsidiary consolidations and consolidated financial statements. I let someone else do them. Does that make me a hack finance professional?

Just playing devil`s advocate and all. No one is likely to be a certified master at every facet of car detailing, and there`s nothing wrong with passing off the stuff you either don`t like to do or are not the best at to other people that are there to help you do the work.

What I see a lot of times on detailing forums is an aura of superiority wherein certain people have a tendency to "talk down" to those who aren`t professionals or aren`t working $100K plus cars.

Let`s be honest - detailing isn`t exactly rocket science and it doesn`t take a superhuman to do it. It`s cleaning a vehicle, and even though some people like to make out like it`s some sort of noble cause, it`s not.

/Descends soapbox.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I don`t like to do intercompany & subsidiary consolidations and consolidated financial statements. I let someone else do them. Does that make me a hack finance professional?

Just playing devil`s advocate and all. No one is likely to be a certified master at every facet of car detailing, and there`s nothing wrong with passing off the stuff you either don`t like to do or are not the best at to other people that are there to help you do the work.

What I see a lot of times on detailing forums is an aura of superiority wherein certain people have a tendency to "talk down" to those who aren`t professionals or aren`t working $100K plus cars.

Let`s be honest - detailing isn`t exactly rocket science and it doesn`t take a superhuman to do it. It`s cleaning a vehicle, and even though some people like to make out like it`s some sort of noble cause, it`s not.

/Descends soapbox.
    "Does that make me a hack finance professional?"

Yes

PS take this as a joke

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

BB...Nice engine bay! Its no wonders you liked the aluminum polishing I posted.

That`s what I call concourse level detailing, its for show cars, and most if not all are not driven they are for competing only.

I went to the Concourse de Elegance, Monterey, most of the show cars are trailed in with covers on the tires so as not to get dirt or grass stains on the them....now that`s anal...
    Dave my view on the trailer queens is that cars are meant to be driven and if I can`t drive it then I don`t want it.

Trailer queens should not be allowed to compete with cars that are driven but nearly every show you have some who park at a Wal Mart unload and drive a few blocks to a show and claim they drive the car.
    They are not fooling anyone you can tell a trailer queen when you see one.
    I drive mine like it was stolen but I spend a lot of time cleaning it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Dave my view on the trailer queens is that cars are meant to be driven and if I can`t drive it then I don`t want it.

Trailer queens should not be allowed to compete with cars that are driven but nearly every show you have some who park at a Wal Mart unload and drive a few blocks to a show and claim they drive the car.
    They are not fooling anyone you can tell a trailer queen when you see one.
    I drive mine like it was stolen but I spend a lot of time cleaning it.
    Mainly what I saw was classic`s one of a kind and cars that would not be easy or cheap to replace parts should something happen to them

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information