Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Top coating PB EX-P

Just wondering about top coating Poorboys EX-P I will be getting some currently have Griot`s best of show, Meg`s NXT, Swissvax Saphir what would be best. Havent used EX-P yet Sweet Gum trees ate thruogh Griots sealer and Best of show wax as top. Thank you.

Have I mentioned I HATE SWEET GUM TREES!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top coating PB EX-P

Based on what you have, I would be inclined to top EX-P with another application of EX-P and possibly a third application, allowing sufficient time between applications. While I like the NXT (particularly on darker non-metallic colors) it does have some cleaners which could possibly remove some of the EX-P. Other topping options might be deterined by the look you are trying to acheive.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

The car is a 72 Ferrari 365 GTC-4 (restored) double Platinum winner BLACK the finish is literally sanded as flat as you can get it. It is horrible to work with. Anything but new microfibers scratch it now after I final polished it today. I just want to protect it the best I can. There are sweet gums everywhere outside the garage and he doesn`t get leaving it out under them is a major clean-up everytime. We are going to another Concours event mid-Sept.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

There are just so many options, but for black non-metallic paints and my choice was a PB`s sealant vs polish/sealant I would opt for EX over EX-P. But that doesn`t make it the only right answer. So you are seeking protection and appearance and thus the sealant with a topper? But back to your original topic, make sure you allow for sufficient cure time before topping EX-P, but I suspect that isn`t new news.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

JOhn

I`ve used EX-P on both of my jet black cars and love the finish its even better if you can wait one day and apply another coat. I`m not one for layering products of the same kind but the EX-P gains clarity on the second coat even better. Then you can top that off with a good wax for a super wet finish
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never tried EX-P on any of my black cars. I`ve always used EX, & used EX-P on lighter cars. How different is EX-P on black?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcate View Post
    I`ve never tried EX-P on any of my black cars. I`ve always used EX, & used EX-P on lighter cars. How different is EX-P on black?
    EX...imo has a muted finish

Where as EX-P is a brighter finish

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i love ex on my black truck , but then again iam biased

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for strainght sealant on flat black. If you top a sealant with a nuba forget about adding more protection (sealant) without polishing. I like the optically clear reflection of PB stranght sealant. I have heard all the talk about warm looking paint by topping with a nuba but to my eye, the crisp, clear, optically correct reflection of corrected, swirl free flat black paint is unbeatable.

Just my personal 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    The car is a 72 Ferrari 365 GTC-4 (restored) double Platinum winner BLACK the finish is literally sanded as flat as you can get it. It is horrible to work with. Anything but new microfibers scratch it now after I final polished it today. I just want to protect it the best I can. There are sweet gums everywhere outside the garage and he doesn`t get leaving it out under them is a major clean-up everytime. We are going to another Concours event mid-Sept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    +1 for strainght sealant on flat black. If you top a sealant with a nuba forget about adding more protection (sealant) without polishing. I like the optically clear reflection of PB stranght sealant. I have heard all the talk about warm looking paint by topping with a nuba but to my eye, the crisp, clear, optically correct reflection of corrected, swirl free flat black paint is unbeatable.

Just my personal 2 cents.
    So I didn`t convert you.....

My normal routine is ex-p, ex-p, natts blue, natts red.

Never tried the griots, and not a big fan of swiss stuff. I have swiss smagard (bos) and it didn`t thrill me. So I can`t tell you about anything else.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    So I didn`t convert you.....

My normal routine is ex-p, ex-p, natts blue, natts red.

Never tried the griots, and not a big fan of swiss stuff. I have swiss smagard (bos) and it didn`t thrill me. So I can`t tell you about anything else.
    Make U a deal, you quit smoking and I will plaster some nuba over my sealer! Deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I`ll at least start with two coats of PB I assume it`s a 12hr. wait like most?(Dont have bottle in hand yet) Forgot about cleaners in NXT got them free in a goodie bag at a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    Thanks for the input. I`ll at least start with two coats of PB I assume it`s a 12hr. wait like most?(Dont have bottle in hand yet) Forgot about cleaners in NXT got them free in a goodie bag at a show.
    PB Pro-Polish as a cleaner it also has tons of other uses or clay can be used a a prep cleaner for paint

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Make U a deal, you quit smoking and I will plaster some nuba over my sealer! Deal?
    WOW !!!

Hopefully at next detail weekend, I`ll hold you to that deal.

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I posted pictures in my album. Still learning, could not get pictures from the 12mega pixel camera to upload maybe too big. These were on my phone. Ordered some Black Hole with Pb Ex-P any thoughts. Now just waiting on product. Album is "C-4"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information