Thread: MOLD!!! Help!

Post Thanks / Like

MOLD!!! Help!

I did a search and found some topics on removing mold or mildew odors but many were about 4-5 years ago. I was wondering if there has been any new product(s) introduced that will kill mold spores, gray mold and the mold smell?

I am helping clean up a Honda Del Sol and the when you open the trunk the smell about knocks you down. Plus on the masonite like board covered with carpet in the trunk I actually found gray spongy mold growth like some kind of science project.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 9 months out of the year so dampness permeates everything. Any suggestions for at least getting rid of the mold? I read about bleach but hesitated to use it, even a dilution as the carpet is black, maybe from mold. One old post said to use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. I think that will work for bacteria but mold can be more hardy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MOLD!!! Help!

Im sure there are other ways, but steam is the most effective as far as I know. When I had a vapor steamer I done a couple bad mold jobs like what your describing and it never returned. Ive never used or heard of using bleach and I would be very hesitant to try it, especially around a carpeted area unless you planned on redying the carpet afterward. Im sure there will be more replies with differant ideas and methods though. I prefer to stay away from mold jobs now that I dont have a vapor machine.
    EDIT - I also ran an ozone generator overnight in them to kill the smell and any mold or mildew that might have been left. These are VERY effective but like the steamers, they are very expensive and is why I havent replaced them. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Im sure there are other ways, but steam is the most effective as far as I know. When I had a vapor steamer I done a couple bad mold jobs like what your describing and it never returned. Ive never used or heard of using bleach and I would be very hesitant to try it, especially around a carpeted area unless you planned on redying the carpet afterward. Im sure there will be more replies with differant ideas and methods though. I prefer to stay away from mold jobs now that I dont have a vapor machine.
    EDIT - I also ran an ozone generator overnight in them to kill the smell and any mold or mildew that might have been left. These are VERY effective but like the steamers, they are very expensive and is why I havent replaced them. Good luck
    I am ignorant. What kind of steamer? One that sprays hot water and sucks it all up or as much as it can? Do you steam using just water or do you add any chemicals to it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    I am ignorant. What kind of steamer? One that sprays hot water and sucks it all up or as much as it can? Do you steam using just water or do you add any chemicals to it?
    Thanks

Your not ignorant. This is what DC is for
    The machine your thinking of is actually a heated extractor. Its very common to have them refered to as steam cleaners and it raises alot of confusion for people (like in this case). While a heated extractor does make alot of steam and will clean the living hell out of carpet and seats, thats about as far as their abilities go. A true vapor steamer requires no chemicals or solutions, and relies solely on its steam to do the work. No water comes out, only extreamly hot steam. There are usually several differant attatchments that come with them, making them a very versatile in their cleaning abilities. They are known in the janitorial and daycare business for their disinfecting abilities. If you want to see what one can really do on mold, check this out.
    YouTube - Vapor STEAM Cleaner IN ACTON! Cleaning a Moldy Outdoor Table

I had a Vapor Chief steamer and the thing was absolutly wicked. I will never forgive or forget the thief who stole it.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a deodorizer / Air Freshener that should take care of your problem.
    It contains biocides that will kill the mold and help prevent you from getting it again. You can add some to your carpet shampoo and scrub the carpets and then vacuum it with a shop vac. It is easy !!
    You can either order it directly through Poorboy`s World or through Autogeek.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the above are methods to clean mold/mildew. Steam, soap and water, orange oil (di-limonene) based cleaners are also excellent at "killing" mold/mildew.

My concern would be damage to the "masonite" board. That material doesn`t take excessive amounts of mositure too well and still maintain its integrity.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    All of the above are methods to clean mold/mildew. Steam, soap and water, orange oil (di-limonene) based cleaners are also excellent at "killing" mold/mildew.

My concern would be damage to the "masonite" board. That material doesn`t take excessive amounts of mositure too well and still maintain its integrity.
    The masonite board will have to be replaced. It is covered in gray and black mold and as you stated it did not take the moisture in the trunk well. It is swollen and crumbling in places. I wanted to kill as much mold as I could so I can work with it to make a pattern for a replacement.

As always the information here is tremendous and helpful and very appreciated by me as I can do a good job cleaning if something is dusty or mildly dirty. In cases where the vehicles have been neglected and abused for years I am at a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    We have a deodorizer / Air Freshener that should take care of your problem.
    It contains biocides that will kill the mold and help prevent you from getting it again. You can add some to your carpet shampoo and scrub the carpets and then vacuum it with a shop vac. It is easy !!
    You can either order it directly through Poorboy`s World or through Autogeek.
    What is the product called? I looked at the order form and must have missed anything that looked like deodorizer and air freshener. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    What is the product called? I looked at the order form and must have missed anything that looked like deodorizer and air freshener. Thanks.
    You can get it here ... Poorboy`s World Air Freshener, cherry air freshener, car deodorizer, car fragrance

or

you can pm or email us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    The product will actually kill live mold and mold spores? I could not even get Lysol spray to do that. Must be good stuff.

Thread Information