Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I`m lost...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I`m lost...

I`ve been trying for the last two hours to get the micromarring I`ve induced out.

I`ve tried ZPC and SSR1, every pad I`ve got, and nothing is working. I either end up making it worse using an orange pad, or it cleans up a little with a polishing pad but never goes away regardless of pressure or speed. This is with a PC by the way.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I`ve got a hood that looks like it`s two different colors at the moment... doh.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ok, I`m lost...

Quote Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
    I`ve been trying for the last two hours to get the micromarring I`ve induced out.

I`ve tried ZPC and SSR1, every pad I`ve got, and nothing is working. I either end up making it worse using an orange pad, or it cleans up a little with a polishing pad but never goes away regardless of pressure or speed. This is with a PC by the way.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I`ve got a hood that looks like it`s two different colors at the moment... doh.
    I would stay away from the orange pad and would be using PP, not abrasives with a white or black pad ... speed of 5-6 and working it until the shine and clarity appear
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - stick with the polishing pad and SSR1. Go very, very slow and make multiple passes. And keep in mind that 100% perfection is not always possible. Get it as good as it will get and then move on.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Yep - stick with the polishing pad and SSR1. Go very, very slow and make multiple passes. And keep in mind that 100% perfection is not always possible. Get it as good as it will get and then move on.
    Bingo

Its not uncommon for someone with a new PC to think they can do 100% full paint correction. Where its possible to an extent its more than likely you will still have some minor marring left. Good glaze can fill those in and your good for the LSP
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not even remotely trying to get near perfection... I`m just trying to undo the mess that I`ve created (on top of the one the dealer was kind enough to give me).

I`m talking severe marring. I can`t figure it out, and to keep going at this point seems foolish, so I`m just going to go visit someone that knows what they`re doing.

I`ve never had this kind of problem with any other car, and I`ve worked on black before (just not this one). Great waste of 3 hours.... bleck.

Post Thanks / Like

How long are you "working" the product? What are you considering a "pass"?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    How long are you "working" the product? What are you considering a "pass"?
    I`m working it until it becomes transparent, although I`m still having all kinds of trouble with heavy dusting despite priming the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pictures to show?

And can you go over the process you started or did from the start so we can see maybe there was a mishap along the way.

It could very well be the pads you`re using or improper technique. Watch some of the videos online as it may help and may be a great starting and reference point.

Post some pics and we can better assess the condition and try and help you out a bit more.

Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Also...........

Are you doing this in a closed enviornment (garage) or outside? There is TONS of pollen flying around right now. I know it sorta screwed me doing my car.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Also...........

Are you doing this in a closed enviornment (garage) or outside? There is TONS of pollen flying around right now. I know it sorta screwed me doing my car.
    Outside. I`d be surprised if pollen could do what I`m seeing, but I guess anything`s possible.

This isn`t my car, but it looks somewhat like this, minus the swirls. Just a slightly hazed, micro marring (top right). I can`t get a remotely `clean` finish like the bottom shot.

Post Thanks / Like

See the thing is you`re going to get a ton of different opinions.

Personally, I`d try the following assuming wash/clay has been done.

M80 with W8006

or

Ultimate Compound W8006

Work the area in 12 x 12 or even smaller 6 x 6 and make sure your arm speed is consistent with the pressure and do two passes if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

Uhh, I hate to say it, but I told you not to get that car. Just think, you still have 3 full years to go

If you would like I will help you find a detailer near you that is competent. Let me know what City and State you are in if your intrested

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by (901) View Post
    Uhh, I hate to say it, but I told you not to get that car. Just think, you still have 3 full years to go
    If you would like I will help you find a detailer near you that is competent
    LOL. Yeah, I know. I`m less annoyed with the state of the paint and more annoyed with my own inability to fix it.

I think once I get it taken care of I`ll be able to keep it reasonably ok with careful washing and a detail (by someone good) every year.

I`m taking it to Rick @unique-car-car at some point when he gets an opening.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside. I`d be surprised if pollen could do what I`m seeing, but I guess anything`s possible.
    Look up a microscopically enlarged piece of pollen and you might change your mind on what you think it could be capable of doing. Especially under a pad in motion.

I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m taking it to Rick @unique-car-car at some point when he gets an opening.
    If you`re bringing it to Rick, may I make an indelicate suggestion.......?

Quit screwing with it. Simple. (just my opinion)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information