Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BaDm0theR
    Also, based on the Palm beach comunity (which consists of predominantly elderly, retired and overwhelmingly successful individuals), i felt that it had to be clear and easy to read.

Feedback is feedback though, ill look into some other design idea`s in the near future.

:beer
    Yes you are dealing with a lot of elderly and retired people who don`t see well and the design is a bit small....otherwise it looks good simple and to the point

Tassadar...we`re looking into silk screening some shirts, embroidery is nice for a few, but too expensive to make 100`s
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Is Simple Green Simple?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those look great!!! :headbang

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rockpick
    Those look great!!! :headbang
    :yeah
    That style of shirt, (Polo), doesn`t seem to me to be what would look good with some of the T-shirt graphics you see a lot of. IMO, for a business impression, you made a good choice.
    One question. Aren`t these for you to wear while you are working? A $140 detailing work shirt seems a little expensive.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings fellow detailers;

Mike, glad you`re happy with your shirts...

Having said that...... :jump ......... I must now post with my personal experience. No disrespect meant here whatsoever...

I used to wear real nice polo shirts with my company name on them. After completely destroying them and sweating like a hog non-stop - I`ve now opted for comfortable cotton T-shirts...

They get very dirty. This can`t be helped in our line of work. Besides the nasty stuff from the autos (interior and exterior) getting on our clothes - the chemicals we use invariably end up on them...

At $25 per shirt this can get very expensive...

Since I have the tendency to dive right into my work - often, at the end of the day - my shirts are a disaster...

I now pay less than $10 per shirt... And I go through about 10 of them a year...

Again, no disrespect intended.... Just another viewpoint here...

Regards,
    Onthespot (Western NC)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread !!!

Researching as we speak !!! Thank you !!!

DC !!! Big thumbs up !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: here you go sonny !

Originally posted by detaled by hans
    Seems like you`ll be hitting on the 50 cent tip crowd ...... ever wonder why they call it the "GOLD COAST"

Good work is not cheap. Cheap work is not good.
    Hans: I dont really follow your train of thought, and i am not sure how familiar you are with Palm beach and its influential/well off residents...but i can tell you that from my experience (based on the high caliber clients i target) that i get tipped very well the majority of the time.

Not only that, these `old folk` that you speak of so sterotypically all appreciate a person who has a hard/strong work ethic, pays attention to detail, and most importantly treats his clients with respect.

Regardless of age, people recognize you MORE for what you DELIVER and how TREAT them (This is what im proud of the most), rather than flashy promotional clothes you wear to advertise your business. My shirts are supplementary to my line of work.

I bought and designed these shirts with 2 things in mind.

1. Deliver a CLEAR and DIRECT message of what my business is about
    2. Deliver an aura of professionalism

Originally posted by detaled by hans
    Like to see Mike`s work shirts in couple of weeks .... detailing cars in polo shirts ain`t no party [palm beach weather for the upcoming week... low 80`s.] ..... basically you strut your company shirt while your strolling for suckers ...ooops i mean clients .....
    I bought these shirts strictly for presentation and professionalism, they will NOT be used while i actually perform the details...so rest assured they will be in PRIME condition months down the road. Keep in mind too, that this is a calculated business investment that i made...spending a ridiculous $140 (as you suggest) would have been simply foolish).

I am also aware of the blistering heat/humidity, so with that said, it would be pretty d@mn difficult to work in them within temp`s above 75 degrees.

And lastly, what are you trying to imply by saying that i am `strutting my company while looking for suckers?` :ticked

Nuff said.
    Last edited by BaDm0theR; 03-14-2004 at 09:28 PM.
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    :yeah
    That style of shirt, (Polo), doesn`t seem to me to be what would look good with some of the T-shirt graphics you see a lot of. IMO, for a business impression, you made a good choice.
    One question. Aren`t these for you to wear while you are working? A $140 detailing work shirt seems a little expensive.

Charles
    Thanks for the support Charles.

As mentioned above, these arent going to be worn while i actually detail. And also, these arent $140...mine are roughly $25 a piece.

It was Hans :beat: who felt that i should buy shirts for $140, to which i replied that this makes zero financial sense when considering business expenses....and flat out a waste of money.
    Last edited by BaDm0theR; 03-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.
    -Mike

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by onthespot
    Greetings fellow detailers;

Mike, glad you`re happy with your shirts...

Having said that...... :jump ......... I must now post with my personal experience. No disrespect meant here whatsoever...
    I used to wear real nice polo shirts with my company name on them. After completely destroying them and sweating like a hog non-stop - I`ve now opted for comfortable cotton T-shirts...

They get very dirty. This can`t be helped in our line of work. Besides the nasty stuff from the autos (interior and exterior) getting on our clothes - the chemicals we use invariably end up on them...
    At $25 per shirt this can get very expensive...
    Since I have the tendency to dive right into my work - often, at the end of the day - my shirts are a disaster...
    I now pay less than $10 per shirt... And I go through about 10 of them a year...
    Again, no disrespect intended.... Just another viewpoint here...

Regards,
    Onthespot (Western NC)
    No disrespect taken bro, like i said before....im always open to feedback and suggestions from everyone (as long as its constructive, hehe...and yours is).

I don`t plan to actually work in these shirts (as i mentioned in a reply above), its more of a profesional/presentational aspect in which i decided to get them. I only bought 3 too.

Regular and simple white t-shirts may very well be the next step for me, and i think you on the right track by utilizing them

Polo/Formal shirts = Deliver professionalism, used for marketing myself and my services

T-shirt: more usable for application and physical work of detailing, w/out worrying about damaging or messing them up.

Thanks for your input, and i wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

Last edited by BaDm0theR; 03-14-2004 at 09:24 PM.
    -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Yes you are dealing with a lot of elderly and retired people who don`t see well and the design is a bit small....otherwise it looks good simple and to the point

Tassadar...we`re looking into silk screening some shirts, embroidery is nice for a few, but too expensive to make 100`s
    -Mike

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike your logo blown up on the back of a white t-shirt (silk screened ) would be a good way to promote yourself while working

Hans..have anything constructive to add :dunno :nono
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike:
    Based on your title line "Detailing Shirts" I got the idea that you intended to wear them as detailing shirts. My bad.
    Also, I don`t really think Hans meant anything too derogatory about the choice or price of your shirts.
    One thing you have to keep in mind is the difference in financial means for people often is reflected in the way they look at price/value. One of my best friends wouldn`t think of using anything other than a $70 or $80 Cross pen and I`m sure his shirts cost $50 to $80. He really isn`t a big shot, that`s just what he thinks is a good value.
    Not being a professional detailer, (and being in the lower level of financial means), I look for the $3 tee shirts that are left over at Target when a fad ends. They work good and fortunately, I usually don`t even know what the writing on them means.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries Charles,

You deserve a :beer for doing a fantastic job of lightening up the situation.

i may have taken what Hans said to offense when i really shouldnt have.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    BaDm0theR
    Great choice of shirts and your logo.
    I think the style and the simplicity is very professional.
    If I was promoting a business I would do exactly the same thing or even a step up to a button down shirt with long sleeves ... since it is cold most of the time here in PA.
    I know when I am out in public I am not overly impressed with tee-shirts because everyone wears them.
    You only have one chance to make a first impression
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do some of you have your phone number on the shirts?? "HEY, HOLD STILL WHILE I COPY DOWN YOUR NUMBER!"

Our shirts have our logo, name and biz description (mobile auto detailing). Other than using them to cover my nipples and spare tire, our shirts are for identification. They also play a part in the company image.

I can see a number on your truck, biz cards but I don`t like them on shirts. I think it looks too busy.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Superior Shine
    Why do some of you have your phone number on the shirts?? "HEY, HOLD STILL WHILE I COPY DOWN YOUR NUMBER!"

I can see a number on your truck, biz cards but I don`t like them on shirts. I think it looks too busy.
    Superior Shine: After doing some leg work and research, i too concluded that adding a number on the shirt just doesnt look good. Not to mention that telephone numbers change, and i dont know of anyone who has jotted down business info off of a shirt.

This is not to bash any of you individuals who have placed their #`s on their shirts, its all preference i guess.

But with many factors up for consideration, and several weeks of design and re-design, i must agree with what Superior Shine has said.

Oh and btw....are you the same Superior Shine from the Meguiars forums? Because i saw a thread of the 745 BMW, and how you proceeded removing those atrocious dealer swirl/spider marks....you are simply incredible my friend.

My hat off to you, great work my friend.

-Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information