Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations???

Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

I have a 2001 MDX in the color of Mahogany. For the past three years I have used Zaino with good results. But it does have some drawbacks. Don`t get me wrong, it shines great, but I don`t find a real richness to the color. Up close it looks faded despite 40+ coats. Also, linear scratches aren`t hidden at all with Zaino. Z5 has no effect on them. Scratches probably a result of winter snow and ice.

The winter washing scratches I usually remove in the spring with Griots Machine Polish 2 and 3 which seems to do a fine job, then reapply Z2 and Z5 with ZFX. I think I would like to try something different this year. I want a deep rich wet look to the color. Is this only achieved with a wax top coat? And what affect will it have on dust accumulation? I live on a dirt road and the area in general is dusty. They use dirt on the roads in the winter and not salt. The dust accumulation is not that critical since I hand wash it 1-2 times a week in the spring through fall. Despite what you may have heard, Zaino does attract dust big time! Once it`s on the vehicle it doesn`t blow off.

So what does everyone recommend for scratch removal to polish to wax top coats? What works best for say a $100 or less?

I`d appreciate all your insights.

Boss_429
    MaineMDX,

I would say that color is "dying" for the look of a fine carnauba. There are a lot of products that you could use that fit your budget. Poorboy`s polishes, and sealant/waxes would certainly work great. Pro Polish, SSR1, PWC or EX, topped with Natty`s would make that color "POP"! Meguiar`s has a number of good products. The Meguiar`s #26 carnauba would look great on your MDX, especially over some Meguiar`s #7 Show Car glaze, or Professional hand polish. Meguiar`s new NXT over a Glaze would also work well. P21S/S100 over a good glaze would also look fantastic!

If dust is a factor, then a product like 4 Star`s Ultimate Paint Protection might be a good selection.

Shop around for a while, look at some pics, and read some more threads before you decide.

Keep in mind, that the products I mentioned here probably won`t live up to the durability of the Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Detail City MaineMDX!

I`ve detailed my neighbors` burgundy colored MDX (not sure if that is the same as mahogany) a few times. My favorite product combo on that car is Poorboy`s SSR2, Polish with Carnauba, and Natty`s Wax. The Natty`s Wax topper gives the color a very rich look, and it is also exceptionally dust resistant for a carnauba wax.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by awd330
    :welcome to Detail City MaineMDX!

I`ve detailed my neighbors` burgundy colored MDX (not sure if that is the same as mahogany) a few times. My favorite product combo on that car is Poorboy`s SSR2, Polish with Carnauba, and Natty`s Wax. The Natty`s Wax topper gives the color a very rich look, and it is also exceptionally dust resistant for a carnauba wax.
    I was close.................... huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    I was close.................... huh?
    Yep.

Thread Information