Post Thanks / Like

how to get brake dust off the rims

i had this bmw that was not detailed for a long time.. could not get all the brake dust to get off the rims... tried all my polishes.. did not have my degreaser with me because since i moved to austin i have not had a reason to brake out the harsh stuff.. and austin with How GREEN everyone is around here i dont carry any harsh chemicals anymore.

any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to get brake dust off the rims

You need two things. A decent wheel cleaner and some brushes that will allow you to get into that tight area.

Also cleaners to lift stuff out of tight areas need dwell time. For something like that I would wet the rim and spray on the cleaner. let the set on the rim for a few minutes, then use the brush to get into the tight areas and rince.

As for APC be very careful some of those can stain the rims depending how strong they are
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i dont like using anything harsh on rims cause of the fear of staining them.

i usually dont even have to degreese anything here in austin at all.. cars are pretty clean here.. so just a wash and a good wipe down with a microfiber towel does the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donavin629 View Post
    yeah i dont like using anything harsh on rims cause of the fear of staining them.

i usually dont even have to degreese anything here in austin at all.. cars are pretty clean here.. so just a wash and a good wipe down with a microfiber towel does the job.
    A good stiff brush that looks like a paint brush will get into those corners. Poorboys spray and rinse would be a great cleaner for those IMO and make short order of the work
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

my process is three steps
    1. rinse off the wheels with pressure washer, remove as much dirt and dust as possible
    2. spray whatever your preference of wheel cleaner, let dwell and rinse thoroughly
    3. I use a foam cleaner car brite`s x-tra duty..foam up the wheels, let them sit. and use a detail brush , horse hair or synthetic type and wipe residue with micro fiber towel ....blow dry with air blower
    this sounds like a lot of steps , but once oyu get the steps down , you can do wheels in no time

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about BMW wheels but my regimine is
    for badly soiled rims

Rinse
    PB spray and rinse all 4 wheels
    then if real bad use daytona wheel brush
    rinse

That`ll do ya.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would work on one wheel at a time. The build-up of brake dust is probably going to require some dwell time. Keep the surface from drying by agitating with a semi-stiff brush and reapplying for a few minutes.

Poorboy`s Spray and Rinse is the strongest cleaner I would recommend using and should do the trick nicely with a little patience and determination.

As far as being green, don`t worry about that. A little alkaline based cleaner will neutralize it. Just don`t get it on your skin while your working with it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info guys i will give these ideas a shot... i used to run into this problem all the time when i was detailing in NJ.. but we used a pretty harsh degreaser at the shop to take care of it.. until on day one of the guys sprayed it on polished aluminum.. totally screwed the rims up.. so i try to stay away from harsh chemicals for the most part

Post Thanks / Like

nothing like some flashed up alum rims..................been there done that !

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donavin629 View Post
    thanks for all the info guys i will give these ideas a shot... i used to run into this problem all the time when i was detailing in NJ.. but we used a pretty harsh degreaser at the shop to take care of it.. until on day one of the guys sprayed it on polished aluminum.. totally screwed the rims up.. so i try to stay away from harsh chemicals for the most part
    Of course you want to use chemicals properly and using an acid or strong alkaline cleaner is not too smart on uncoated polished aluminum unless you plan to polish them out. Just because that happened shouldn`t keep you from using something like Poorboy`s Spray and Rinse in this situation. It`s the mildest of the heavy duty wheel cleaners and in some cases a strong cleaner is necessary. I would say caked on brake dust is such a case.

People view the use of a rotary polisher the same way. Because of it`s potential to harm paint, people are scared to use it or think it`s a bad thing to use on paint, but it is an essential tool in certain cases. Learning the proper way to use it is key. Same goes with chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like

Spray and Rinse will be FINE for regualr BMW wheels. (which those in pic are)

Trust me on this. I`ve got enough of em.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

ive used it to with great results. i dilute the solution also.
    Former driver (for now) of the Ultimate Driving Machine. Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD driver now.
    BMWCCA Member since March 2008. (still going strong)

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t use steel wool - lol. It`ll get the dirt off but it`ll take more than that off. Just be patient and use approved products and a little elbow grease those aren`t too bad.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Thread Information