Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pressure washers

I`ve never owned a pressure washer (always borrowed someones), but have tossed the idea around in my head about getting one.

First, I don`t know how much I want to spend. I`d most likely use it for a variety of things (auto washing, undercarriage, boat washing, 4 wheeler washing, house cleaning, washing the driveway, etc). What kind of output should I be looking at for something like this? Gas or electric?

I have done a little reading via the search button at a few places, but since I am not familiar with them and don`t plan to use it as a mobile rig set up a lot of the discussion seems "above" me.

I`d like some suggestions, tips, opinions and experiences from some of you guys who know a little about them if you feel like sharing.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washers

"Subscribing" to this thread.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Haha - You got some Christmas money burning a hole in your pocket too?!?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we wanted something to assist our very poor water pressure here and went with a Husky electric from HD.. I think it was $200 and it has been worth every penny ... cleans fast and easier ... not too over powering where I would lose paint by mistake and also did quick work of the mildew in the concrete sidewalk ... Coastal Eddie would be your pro here, but when I told him of mine, he said it was perfect for my use ... now if you did commercial pwing then I`m sure a bigger more powerful machine would be needed ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Haha - You got some Christmas money burning a hole in your pocket too?!?
    Unfortunately no, but I do have some small tasks (including some you mentioned) where I think one might come in handy. But it seems everytime this comes up we wind up talking about units which will run @ $500 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    we wanted something to assist our very poor water pressure here and went with a Husky electric from HD.. I think it was $200 and it has been worth every penny ... cleans fast and easier ... not too over powering where I would lose paint by mistake and also did quick work of the mildew in the concrete sidewalk ... Coastal Eddie would be your pro here, but when I told him of mine, he said it was perfect for my use ... now if you did commercial pwing then I`m sure a bigger more powerful machine would be needed ...
    Is that the unit Pockets was using in one of the recent threads? The wand was red which I think is one of Husky`s colors.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a gas powered 6.5 HP, 2200 psi, 2 gpm for about 4 or 5 years.
    It is a Campbell Hausfeld commercial unit. I think it was on sale for about $300 at the time I bought it. I don`t even know if CH is still in the business.
    I pressure washed two houses, one garage, a very large deck and a pontoon boat with it. Did a great job.

Since then, I have never used it. Probably hasn`t been started in 2 or 3 years.
    It might be a good investment for you, but I probably should have just rented one.
    I have never used it on the vehicles. If I feel I need to pressure wash them, (rarely happens), I go to the DIY spray wash. The only thing I ever pressure wash on the vehicles would be wheel wells or under carriage.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ressure+washer

I got this one last year...... I`ve used it a few times and my Father in law has it now and he is using it to clean his decks in RI and storing it for the winter..

But then again i got it NIB for 300 so it was a no brainer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve owned a Craftsman gas powered one for years. 6hp, 2200 psi if I remember correctly. Haven`t used it lately, but I did a lot when I lived in Va. It was great at removing that mildewy stuff from vinyl siding & fences. Good for cleaning the driveway too.

Post Thanks / Like

Hhmmm. So far I am getting the vibe that I should skip the pressure washer (and buy a new gun).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a presure washer but don`t use it much on the cars but the deck and the fence look good - lol. Also the generator is nice when the power goes out. Two purchases I wouldn`t have made early on if I knew now how much I wouldn`t use them.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like you guys have pretty much quenched my interest there.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had one for a number of years and would not want to be without it. I seldom detail for money anymore but when I need a pressure washer I need one! Sidewalks, the eaves of the house, wheel wells, cleaning throw rugs, car mats, etc.
    My preference was a gas powered one, when I do the street sidewalk along the front of the house I don`t want to fiddle with keeping both a hose and and an extension cord from getting tangled up. 2200 psi and 2.5 gpm works for most everything I need it to. If I had it to do over I would get a larger one with 3500 psi and more gpm with a number of wands for different spray patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a electric that I have had for I think 16 years now it is a 1600 psi I like electric because I don`t need to put gas in it or change the oil or spark plug.

I rarely use it on the cars but it is priceless for cleaning the garage floor cleaning side walk drive way and for getting that green algae that grows on my out buildings that are in the shade and every year I have to wash them.
    If my washer breaks I would have a new one before the week was over.

It is not necessary to buy a high pressure one 1600 to 2200 psi no bigger you don`t want to strip the paint just clean it.

Post Thanks / Like

Pricey unit, but this is my favorite pressure washer I use regularly.

Kranzle USA 1.6 GPM / 1,600 PSI Cold Water Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer - K 1600

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hotsy electric pump diesel fired steam washer that I couldn`t live without. I used to use gas powered washers and got sick of pull starting and the noise. It was also 3000 psi..a little overkill for cars. A small electric washer would be my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information