Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Why not spray waxes?

When the subject of spray wax comes up, people tend to immediately dis them.
    Why?
    Why does the method of delivering the product to the surface have any negative effect?
    Spray it on, pour it on an applicator and wipe it on.
    What difference does it make?
    One of the most durable sealants around, (Klasse SG), is often used in a WOWO system and for some reason,that`s acceptable. Granted many/most apply it with an applicator and then wipe it off right away, but some apply it as spray, spread it with a MF towel and then wipe it off. Exactly the same way I think a "Spray Was" is used.
    If Klasse SG can be used that way, why can`t other sealants be used that way?
    Don`t tell me the product has to be thick to work. Optimum Opti-Seal, Zaino Clear Seal, and Ultima Paint Guard pretty much dispel that myth.

FWIW, I`m not real sold on the so called bonding of sealants with the paint anyway, but that probably deserves a different thread.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why not spray waxes?

Isn`t is more like a glaze?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what kind of `spray wax` you are talking about. A QD with a shot of wax in it is a lot different than something like Souveran Spray Wax. Personally I love Souveran Spray Wax for motorcycle detailing. It is a really quick way to give it an awesome shine. Wolfgang had a Spray Sealant for awhile that did the same thing. I`m not sure that I would use it on an entire car simply because that would be a spendy wax job, but on a small painted surface I love it.

Now for larger vehicles I am still using 4 Star Spray Wax. I bought five gallons of it some time ago and I`m still working my way through that supply. I love using that as a quick shine after I wash the car and don`t really need to put another layer of wax on, but would like to give it a little boost. I don`t really put a whole lot of faith in the protection or durability of any spray wax, but if I can get a little appearance gain to float me for a week before I have time to wax it, then I`m all for it.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with you CharlesW. I am going to try some several spray waxes because they are awesome- just not for every single solitary application.

I use several QDetailers and it always looks like new money- I`ll bet the spray wxes are even better- different but better. NOT as good as a complete clay/sealant/polish/wax thing. I only know that the full meal deal detail is not an everyday- or even everyweek thing- ( 4 me) once every three months- 1X a month if I`m board- even for my everyday driver-

Sprax waxes- and QDs (which are different) are what makes the everyday NON professional detailers (like me`s)world go round- There`s tons of nice car chemicals out there.

OTCounter stuff is killer-the mailorder/industrial detail supplies are usually a bit better and less expensive since you can buy it in bulk. I think the thing with the OTC stuff is you just gotta find stuff that is good because some of it is not very good. If you read enough- you`ll figure out which ones the pros will use-but getting back to the thread- I think for a guy like me anyway- spraywax is the way to go- with a major detail 3 times a year-spring summer and b4 winter like now. Good topic dude.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Isn`t is more like a glaze?
    From the Autogeek ad copy for Klasse HSG:
    "High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic."
    Yeah, they call it a glaze just like Zaino calls their sealant a polish.
    The Klasse is definitely a LSP and I don`t consider true glazes to be LSPs.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

i think some of the OTC spray waxes (like Mothers) are better than some of the gloss enhancing detailers and cost less.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    It depends on what kind of `spray wax` you are talking about. A QD with a shot of wax in it is a lot different than something like Souveran Spray Wax.
    A "Spray Wax/Sealant" not some QD with some wax added to it. A true wax or sealant in a liquid form that would be sprayed on the surface to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I don`t really put a whole lot of faith in the protection or durability of any spray wax
    But why don`t you?
    Do you really think Klasse won`t have as good durability if it is sprayed on, spread with a MF and then wiped off immediately with a MF?
    Why would the results be any different than pouring some on an applicator, spreading it around and then wipe it off immediately with a MF?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

While it is not advertised as such I consider DG-AW to be a spray on sealant and it lasts for longer than what most of us will go without detailing again.
    So can this be put in the same category as the spray wax.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    i think some of the OTC spray waxes (like Mothers) are better than some of the gloss enhancing detailers and cost less.
    Probably, but I`m not talking about using the spray version like a QD. I mean a true spray sealant/wax.
    I still don`t see any reason a good sealant couldn`t be sprayed on and wiped off with excellent protection and durability as well as gloss enhancement.

I keep referring to the Klasse because I know some people use it that way.

It`s the same product whether you apply it with a MF applicator, a foam applicator, an old rag, a PC or spray it on.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    While it is not advertised as such I consider DG-AW to be a spray on sealant and it lasts for longer than what most of us will go without detailing again.
    So can this be put in the same category as the spray wax.
    Yes, I think so, but I guess I`m not getting my point across.
    As soon as you mentioned a spray on product people looked down on it. Even your comment is slightly defensive about the DG-AW.

Is it because good spray waxes have not been offered or promoted?
    Or is it because there is some inherent reason a spray sealant/wax has to be considered an inferior product?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    A "Spray Wax/Sealant" not some QD with some wax added to it. A true wax or sealant in a liquid form that would be sprayed on the surface to apply.

But why don`t you?
    Do you really think Klasse won`t have as good durability if it is sprayed on, spread with a MF and then wiped off immediately with a MF?
    Why would the results be any different than pouring some on an applicator, spreading it around and then wipe it off immediately with a MF?
    Well, carnauba isn`t all that durable in a paste or liquid form anyway, so to dilute it to the point it can be sprayed on has got to diminish durability even more. I don`t use waxes for durability. I use them for looks and fully expect to need to reapply at least every other month to keep the protection going. I don`t look at waxes and sealants as being in the same category when it comes to protection and would have a whole lot more faith in a spray sealant before I trust a spray wax.

Klasse SG is a very unique product in that it is possibly the only product I have ever used personally that is already thin enough to be put in a spray bottle. I`m not convinced application that way would be easier or better than just wiping it on, but it certainly is a technique that could be explored for sure. I haven`t had any reason to deviate from the wipe on, let dry, wipe off method of using that particular product, so I`ll leave the experimenting on application of it to a more curious detailer.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    Klasse SG is a very unique product in that it is possibly the only product I have ever used personally that is already thin enough to be put in a spray bottle. I`m not convinced application that way would be easier or better than just wiping it on, but it certainly is a technique that could be explored for sure. I haven`t had any reason to deviate from the wipe on, let dry, wipe off method of using that particular product, so I`ll leave the experimenting on application of it to a more curious detailer.
    Interesting.
    For some reason I thought I remembered you being one of the proponents of the Wipe On Wipe Off method of Using the Klasse SG.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think so, but I guess I`m not getting my point across.
    As soon as you mentioned a spray on product people looked down on it. Even your comment is slightly defensive about the DG-AW.

Is it because good spray waxes have not been offered or promoted?
    Or is it because there is some inherent reason a spray sealant/wax has to be considered an inferior product?
    Not sure I can answer that but it would be my guess that some who talk it down have not tried a product like AW.

I`m not one who follows the heard and I use a lot of AW I like to mix it with FC&S that way it cleans, adds protection and awesome gloss all with one application.
    Since my back surgery I find myself looking for faster easier way to keep my vehicles looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    For some reason I thought I remembered you being one of the proponents of the Wipe On Wipe Off method of Using the Klasse SG.
    no no no no no no.... I was the loudest protester of that cut corner method. I finally stopped yelling at the tide and figured I`d let people get whatever results cutting corners on science gives them. I apply it, let it dry for at least 45 minutes, and then buff it off with the two towel technique (damp towel followed by dry towel). That has always produced stellar results and I haven`t had any reason to change that up. Limiting the time the sealant has to bond with the paint just doesn`t seem like an effective way to gain durability to me.

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i am wondering if anyone has fully paint corrected a vehicle and ONLY used a spray on wax .... im wondering if the spray on wax holds up better as a prior application opposed to waxing with another product and then using some misc spray wax just as a booster which is basically what it is for ...

one of these times i think im gonna try polishing a car and just using a spray on product and test the results i get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information