Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ipa wipe down tricks... Please post your experience

Hi everyone wanted to see what are some of the common practices with IPA wipe down. I`m noticing a lot of time spent wiping with IPA, then wiping with final inspection just to remove the haze that the IPA has left and I wanted to know if there`s a more effecient or better process over all. Please post your best practices...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipa wipe down tricks... Please post your experience

Quote Originally Posted by EMIN007 View Post
    Hi everyone wanted to see what are some of the common practices with IPA wipe down. I`m noticing a lot of time spent wiping with IPA, then wiping with final inspection just to remove the haze that the IPA has left and I wanted to know if there`s a more efficient or better process over all. Please post your best practices...
    Since you don`t say what you are trying to achieve it is hard to give advice but the fastest and most effective way to remove wax sealant grease and leave the surface ready for sanding for a repaint is Dupont 3900S First Kleen \This is expensive it is used by paint shops where time is money.

Something that works nearly as well and is less expensive is Dupont Kiwk Kleen 244S

If you are not doing touch up or repaint and just want to remove wax for whatever reason Isopropyl alcohol is cheap and will work but requires more time to remove.

I assume you are just doing a detail and want to remove wax for a new product in that case ISO is what I would use because it is cheap.

While using ISO change towels several times or you will be wiping the surface with a wax saturated towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I will add that I rarely use ISO because if I`m going to apply a new sealant and want to clean the surface I use a polishing pad an PB Professional polish and this will remove wax and any minor marring and prepare the surface for a LSP so ISO is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the IPA straight, no dilluting and I buy the 91% stuff from CVS.

I also use a waffle weave microfiber towel and spritz lightly. The key is to flip the towel over and buff to get rid of any haze left behind, and to use a very absorbant towel (for example, a waffle weave towel).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Emile and black bart, I`m was referring to using the ISA after M105 or OHC before I move on to 3M Machine Polish. My concern was that I was getting a fair amount of hazing after a straight ISA wife down. Maybe it was caused by the towel, maybe by the concentration ISA too high becuase not mixed with water or anything else to that sort.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a 50/50 wipedown and I do it fairly quickly. The mf gets a bit damp so that is an added aid in dissolving and supposedly removing.

BTW, I started this after I checked my paint using my Brinkman gun I noticed the paint look smeary. I applied some IPA and it was clear. Ths proved that a mf wipedown of a polish (m205 in this case) was leaving something behind. (Some may say something about mf towel absorbancy).

I think it made a difference in results but in any case it is peace of mind.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

with a little more research from prior threads I`m going to give dupont prep sol a try... It seems to cut through wax, grease, and anythings else that might be on top of the paint which can lead to gumming issues while compounding or polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I searched the various threads and from what I gather IPA is just rubbing alcohol???

Now just to make sure I bought some Rubbing Alcohol and it states that the medical ingredient is Ethanol Anhydrous 95%

Is this the right stuff to use??

I don`t want to melt away the paint!

Post Thanks / Like

you want isopropyl alcohol
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information