Post Thanks / Like

Question Is there a DIY for how to Tint Car Windows?

I have a 1994 Acura Legend LS Sedan and I live in New York and I am interested in tinting my own car windows. I am pretty good with my hands and I would like to give this a try if it is not too hard/difficult. Is there a DIY for how to Tint Car Windows? Does anyone know what tools are involved and where can I buy the tools to tint my own car windows. Also what brand and kind tint to use and where to buy it. Does anyone have or know a link that has this information. Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a DIY for how to Tint Car Windows?

www.tintdude.com

Tinting isn`t easy to do, even if your good with your hands. Finding materials/tools ain`t easy either. I don`t think there are many DIY kits even out there. Honestly, leave it to a professional in this instance. Depending on your area, tints may be pretty cheap

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had 16 cars in my life time and the first 6.... I tinted my own windows.

I was a teenager when I first started so $$$ was an issue. I remember going to the auto parts store and buying the tint by the feet and it was much chaeper than taking it to shop.

Honestly, it only got easy after my third car. I made lots of mistakes at the beginning and one time ran the blades down my back window....while totally forgetting about the rear defroster lines. Needless to say, I had to get a new rear window. DOH!!!

IMO, you would be better off just taking it to shop. My last 5 cars were done by pros.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Don`t even try it yourself, let the pros do it. you will be happier and it will be cheaper in the long run. I think that you need years to do this before you can do it right. I have tried several times and ended up just getting frustrated and throwing away the tint. the pros know how to "heat shrink" the tint, etc. i watched the guy do my toyota and it does take a pro.

only thing i would suggest to you, if you do decide to have it done, clean the inside of your windows really good before you go. i don`t think that really spend a lot of time super cleaning your windows before applying tint. luckily, mine were spotless. especially if there is residue on them from tobacco, etc. go for a high quality film. I got the solargard metallic. but, they say that it can cause problems later with satellite radio reception (planning on getting Sirius pretty soon...don`t know how that will work out.)

Jack.

Thread Information