Post Thanks / Like

Safe brushes on wheels

I`m adding a boar`s hair brush (29.99) and Daytona Speed Master spoke brush (29.99) to my shopping list. I`m contemplating non-budget-breaking alternatives such as tampico brushes (4.95 and 9.95 respectively). Is tampico safe on clearcoat and painted wheel finishes? Or should I just pony up the extra dough?
    - Eric
    2002 BMW M3 `vert
    2005 VW Passat wagon

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safe brushes on wheels

pony up IMO you only live once and I`d rather spend your money on something real good than to waste it on something that you will replace with the real good later anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some research on tampico. Seems its made from a plant fiber, and while soft, can be abbrasive.

How about the Mother`s wheel brush? It`s a nice price, and I`m guessing some sort of synthetic material.
    - Eric
    2002 BMW M3 `vert
    2005 VW Passat wagon

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not always the bristles you need to look at, but the shaft to which they`re attached. Cheap brushes will have un-coated shafts which can scratch if not careful. Good brushes have plastic coated shafts. Well worth the money IMO.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using those Audi brushes that I recommended in your other thread for 3 years now and haven`t had any damage done to either set of my wheels. I bought several for friends and they love them as well.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

My take on it is the wheels are not as fragile as you think.
    Once you have them clean you will need nothing other than a soft brush and soap and water.

I have wheel cleaner that is several years old I don`t need it unless you detail other peoples neglected cars.

I bought a Meguiars wheel brush well actually I bought several of them at Big Lot`s for just a few bucks.
    I got them when Megs stopped making brushes.

You can use a rag or a $ 30.00 brush and get the same results and the wheel won`t know the difference.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the "detailers" (I think that`s the name) brush sold at WM for the last 3 or 4 years. The bristles are longish, soft, and flexible. The handle and "frame" is some form of semi-pliable material so when it gets bumped into a wheel it causes no damage.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
    I`ve been using those Audi brushes that I recommended in your other thread for 3 years now and haven`t had any damage done to either set of my wheels. I bought several for friends and they love them as well.
    Are those the long brushes that look like a spoke brush?
    Like this:

Do you use them on the face of the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    I bought a Meguiars wheel brush well actually I bought several of them at Big Lot`s for just a few bucks.
    I got them when Megs stopped making brushes.
    I picked up a couple of the small Meguiar`s body brushes at Big Lots when Meg`s discontinued them and while I`m not sure about using them regularly on the body, they seem to work great on wheels. The bristles even do a good job getting into the lug nut area.
    As I remember them, the Meguiar`s wheel brushes seemed a little too stiff to me.

Charles

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Charles, that`s the brush. I use it for the inside of the wheel for both sets of wheels. I also use it to clean the inside of the split spoke for my summer wheels. For the facing and lip I just use a terry cloth with soap and water.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
    Yes Charles, that`s the brush. I use it for the inside of the wheel for both sets of wheels. I also use it to clean the inside of the split spoke for my summer wheels. For the facing and lip I just use a terry cloth with soap and water.
    The ad copy says it`s flexible.
    Does that mean it can be bent to a 90 dgree angle and it will retain that shape?
    I presently use a spoke brush that I have bent to reach the inside of the spokes. It works good, but it cost a heck of a lot more than the Audi brush.
    For the inside barrel or tub of the wheel, I use one of these.
    They are only a buck or two, but I did have to go to Wal*Mart.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Megs body brush I don`t remember what it was called but it has a long curved Handel
    with a brush about 4 inches wide by 10 inches long. I`m guessing have not actually measured it.

It is extremely soft and since it has thousands of hairs I believe it is LESS likely to scratch than a mitt.
    Think about the physics of this for a moment.

I have been using it on my BLACK vehicles without a problem if it works on Black it works on anything.

Only complaint I have is it is heavy.

But faster and easy to use on a van or SUV than a mitt because of the long Handel give me more reach.

.In my above post I was just trying to point out to
    Deutsch Marques that it is not a must to spend 30 dollars for a wheel brush.

Body yes wheels no the brush isn`t as hard on wheels as some of the acid based chemicals that people spray on them.

Thread Information