Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Full Detail = How Many Coats of Wax

Just curious to see what everyone else does on a general full detail that isn`t advertised as paint correction. I am doing full details for $125/$150, which takes me about 4 hours with two people (son). I usually wash, clay, Mothers witih Carnuba followed with NXT 2.0 or Duragloss by hand. Actually the last two I have done they paid me $140.00 beceause they felt like they owed me more. Hense I raised my price to $150 for cars and $180 for Suv`s, etc. It doesn`t correct much but so far most of what I am doing is newer vehicles. The customers have been estatic with what I have been doing and probably dont` even understand cob webbing, swirl marks, etc. I don`t think I could add too many more steps and still make enough money to make it worth my while. I was just curious as to what other people do that aren`t into paint correction here?
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Detail = How Many Coats of Wax

I usually did two, but it really just depended on how long the rest of the vehicle took. I had mine priced pretty low to begin with, so I couldn`t spend a lot of extra time on the vehicles without turning extra profit. By the way, I only ever advertised one, so no one ever got cheated out of a coat of wax.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

For technicality`s sake, I`d reverse the order of your carnauba and NXT 2.0. What are you doing "correction wise" after the clay step? I noticed you mentioned you weren`t doing much correction wise - just curious as to what you`re doing that is taking 4 hours and costing $150.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, I`m a hobby detailer so I don`t know what the traffic will bear or what the customer expects from a professional, but...

What you are doing sounds like a basic wash & wax.
    In that case, I would use a one step product and use one application.
    It could be hand or machine applied, but I think a DA would do a little better job of cleaning the paint and would even remove some marring.
    Again, just my opinion, but I don`t think I would clay if I wasn`t going to do any polishing/paint correction.
    The time needed and the price would seem to be a little much for that process.

One thing I would consider doing is cleaning the windows inside and out even if you aren`t doing the interior. People really notice the windows whether they are clean or dirty.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing this for awhile, and 97% of my clients don`t see beyond the shine. What I do is remove any of the deeper scratches or at least hide them and then just make sure that I have adequate protection, for the most part the customer isn`t going to be looking for swirls or cob webbing if the paint is nice and shiny. I think that your prices are competitive.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO $125-$140 is too low of a price to give a vehicle a "full detail". It is "xxxxxxxizing" the industry, so when a "professional" advertises full details starting at $200 which is a decent starting price for the labor involve and talent and skill needed the potential customer says " I got a guy that will do it for $xxx" Then you have to into explaining the difference and you get what you pay for. The flip side to that coin is raising your price to reflect the labor and talent involved but not being able to deliver a quality product.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerndetail View Post
    I have been doing this for awhile, and 97% of my clients don`t see beyond the shine. What I do is remove any of the deeper scratches or at least hide them and then just make sure that I have adequate protection, for the most part the customer isn`t going to be looking for swirls or cob webbing if the paint is nice and shiny. I think that your prices are competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPRODTLR View Post
    IMO $125-$140 is too low of a price to give a vehicle a "full detail". It is "xxxxxxxizing" the industry, so when a "professional" advertises full details starting at $200 which is a decent starting price for the labor involve and talent and skill needed the potential customer says " I got a guy that will do it for $xxx" Then you have to into explaining the difference and you get what you pay for. The flip side to that coin is raising your price to reflect the labor and talent involved but not being able to deliver a quality product.
    So, $150 is a fair price for a basic wash & wax?
    I`m not picking on what shuddleston is doing or the quality of his work, but.....
    No polishing or paint correction, no vacuuming or interior detailing.
    Wash, clay and one coat of a cleaner wax followed by an application of another wax/sealant isn`t exactly a "Full Detail". Like I said, it sounds like a basic wash & wax and there`s nothing wrong with that, but I would find it hard to justify more than his original prices for what would be 1.5 to 2 hours work.
    Wash - 45 minutes
    Clay - 15 minutes (Which I wouldn`t do if I wasn`t going to polish the paint)
    Mother`s - 20 minutes
    NXT or DG - 15 minutes

Maybe I`m not seeing the whole picture, but that isn`t a "full detail". That`s a maintenance wash & wax with claying thrown in.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I know here, $200 is not a "decent starting point." You`d be pricing yourself out of work. And at $150, at least around here, you`d better be doing a full out detail (paint correction, interior, engine bay, etc.)

I have to agree with Charles - there`s a difference between a detail and a wash and wax.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I charge $30 per hour. My "full detail" minus any paint correction generally takes 5-6 hours and costs between $150 and $180.

That includes complete clean, shampoo, and protect the interior, wash, clay, seal the exterior paint, treat trim, clean and detail wheels, apply wheel wax, dress tires, vacuum trunk, clean all jambs, and degrease and dress engine bay.

There is a ton of work involved in my full detail.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Premium View Post
    I charge $30 per hour. My "full detail" minus any paint correction generally takes 5-6 hours and costs between $150 and $180.

That includes complete clean, shampoo, and protect the interior, wash, clay, seal the exterior paint, treat trim, clean and detail wheels, apply wheel wax, dress tires, vacuum trunk, clean all jambs, and degrease and dress engine bay.

Quite a bit of difference between "wash, clay, Mothers witih Carnuba followed with NXT 2.0 or Duragloss by hand" and "clean, shampoo, and protect the interior, wash, clay, seal the exterior paint, treat trim, clean and detail wheels, apply wheel wax, dress tires, vacuum trunk, clean all jambs, and degrease and dress engine bay".

And Premium, IMO your price is too low.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t notice there was no interior work, I charge $50 per hour with the average detail taking 3 hrs. If you plan to do any quantity of work you really have to balance your time while not sacraficing quality. For the most part your average client wants there car cleaned, not knowing anything about paint correction and for the most part going blank when your explaining the process with them. A properly cleaned "detailed" car (inside and out)goes a long way with just a machine polish and a coat of wax,imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also reverse the order and use the 2.0 first, followed by the carnuba. The NXT is a synthetic sealant so it should be allowed some time to bond to the surface. 8 hrs. to overnight. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I think not everyones definition of a full detail is the same.
    Also different areas have different economies which allows for a difference in prices for the same service.
    Thats why say a bagger at Vonns in SOCAL might make $10 a hour and a bagger at Publix in SW Florida may make $7.00 a hour both doing the same job.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Premium View Post

this sounds just like my details except when I am not doing paint correction I run a single pass with PWS on my cyclo so I always do clay the paint and also clean and dress wells and do windows inside and S&W outside windows.My paint corrections also include a polishing of the exterior glass before being spray&wiped. I too charge $30 per hour whether or not I am doing correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    this sounds just like my details except when I am not doing paint correction I run a single pass with PWS on my cyclo so I always do clay the paint and also clean and dress wells and do windows inside and S&W outside windows.My paint corrections also include a polishing of the exterior glass before being spray&wiped. I too charge $30 per hour whether or not I am doing correction.
    I did neglect to mention a few steps in my full detail process, but I am sure you get the point. I do clean and dress the fender wells, remove bugs and tar, clean windows inside and out, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information