Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Detail = How Many Coats of Wax

Let me clarify I was just asking about the wax steps but my full detail includes - wash, clay, cleaner wax followed with NXT or DG 105 (now I am confused on the order I thought the cleaner wax -- Mothers with Carnauba was supposed to go on first and then the LSP went on last - isn`t NXT OR DG considered a LSP)? Sometimes after claying I`ll use Meg Color X or UC. I don`t have a machine so I do everything by hand which takes some time. I clean the fender wells, door jams, inside and outside windows, dress the outside rubber, polish rims and chrome. I also do a full interior detail, vacuum, shampoo, dash, door panels, cup holder’s console, etc. It has taken me 4 hours to do all this thoroughly with the help of my son on the last couple of details. Most of time I am spending the majority of my time cleaning excessively dirty interior, crazy tar, oxidation or extremely dirty rims. I haven`t been doing this for a long time, but I feel that I do a good thorough job and my customers have been happy and sending me referals. I need to eventually get a PC but for now I just do it by hand. Any suggestions on some other types of polish/wax I can use to get better results by hand please let me know. I appreciate the critics!
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you do a lot more than you initially let on. NXT or DG 105 are both synthetic sealants, and per manufacturer recommendations should be applied to clean paint. By applying a "cleaner wax" (i.e. carnauba content) you are possibly interfering with the sealants ability to "cling" or bond to the paint by leaving behind a wax/oil residue from the Mother`s.

In layman`s terms - I`d find a polish that doesn`t contain any kind of wax or added protection or I would find a different LSP (last step product) such as a wax.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

So a color X or UC would work? Soon I am going to invest in a PC accompanied with some PB products. I am really curious to see what the PB products can do for me especially the SSR products and not to mention the Natty. Thanks for the advice.
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

Color X leaves behind some sort of protection as well. I think it is synthetic. In any case, it is probably a better base for a sealant than the Mother`s carnauba cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other recomendations that would work well before a DG or NXT or maybe a better combination and LSP all together.
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know how some of you guys make money. I really don`t. I did a "full detail" with some corrective paint work over the long weekend. It was a $200 job at LEAST. I have a Porsche coming up for exterior only with a minor correction of a light scratch on the fender. I quoted $200, but I am taking my time on this one. I want it perfect, or at least as close as I can get.

I`m doing a cheapo for a neighbor this weekend. Wash, dry, wheel cleanup (they`re bad), and maybe some clay and compound on the front bumper and hood. If I had a spray wax, that`s what I`d do.

Since I get to pick my clients, I get to charge what I want. If I was in business doing this, it would be quite different I think. But for those of you doing 8 hours of work for $150, how do you justify it? How can you pay your insurance, capital costs, consumables, etc., and have any profit at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    But for those of you doing 8 hours of work for $150, how do you justify it? How can you pay your insurance, capital costs, consumables, etc., and have any profit at all?
    That`s $18.75 an hour. In this area, that`s a pretty decent paying job. Factor in some folks probably do this "under the table" and it looks pretty good.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    That`s $18.75 an hour. In this area, that`s a pretty decent paying job. Factor in some folks probably do this "under the table" and it looks pretty good.
    I agree that on paper $18.75/hr looks pretty good. Until you start looking at medical insurance, dental, SS, detailing insurance, consumables (these wash, polish, and wax supplies aren`t cheap!), fuel costs, etc. I`d have to think that by the time all that is factored in, you`re looking at about $6-$8/hr.

Fortunately, this is just a hobby for me and won`t be profitable, but for those trying to earn a living at it, it`s got to be tough. You`d probably need to turn $200-$250/day for 5-6 days a week just to really make it worthwhile in most areas.

More power to you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes do my buddy`s cars for well below what I should get paid. I guess I get paid the difference in ego stroking and word of mouth. From the last two buddy`s cars I`ve done for $150 for 7 hours of work, I`ve gotten 4 other jobs from it that paid much better. Sometimes you take a hit to get some back later on, especially if it`s a side gig.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CARTfan View Post
    Sometimes you take a hit to get some back later on, especially if it`s a side gig.
    Exactly. Or if I have a buddy who`s in a tight spot, I`ll hook them up. It always comes back to you in the long run.

I have a couple "clients" that let me test out new products and techniques on their cars. So I charge them enough to pay for my supplies and let it go at that. They usually get a wash/dry, and whatever it is I`m doing.

You`d be amazed how many willing folks there are to get a wash/dry and carpet shampoo, or trim restore, or fresh sealant for $25.

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

as it stands now im doing similar pricing ..

for me a whole interior shampoo detail, exterior wash, clay, polish, wax, windows full premium package im offering for $165.00 for roughly an up to 8-9 hour job. and with a polish i generally only apply one coat of wax. ***this most likely will be increased to $175.00 soon as i get a few more buff jobs under my belt*** and 175 is still cheaper than most shops in this area to my knowledge.

this to me is more than enough in my earnings as i base everthing on between $20-$25 hourly labour for my time.

and if i was only to do exterior with clay i charge around $90.00 without touching the inside.

i could charge more but i will wait until i get more skilled with my PC polisher.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information