Post Thanks / Like

How to clean the door

I would do a search for this, but I really don`t know what to search! I`m sorry if this is a dupe.

My husband takes care of our car, but he`s deployed now, so it`s up to me. I`m sorry if I sound SO stupid!

I`m trying to clean my doors of fingerprints and all that and I bought Lexol. I used it with a cotton cloth (that diaper stuff at Advanced Auto Parts), but it doesn`t get the stains off. When I went to AAP, they gave me brush detailer thing, but they don`t seem abrasive enough. I couldn`t explain to them what I needed, so I figured I`d take a pic...

What can I do to get that stuff off? It looks so gross.

THANK YOU!

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean the door

You need 2 simple items

1. Some All Purpose Cleaner
    2. A basic microfiber towel (you can use cotton too)

The All Purpose cleaners are terrific for this kind of thing. They are also great around the house. Look into the APC+ product from Meguiars or the one from a company here called Poorboys`s World. Or even the Optimum company`s Power Clean. You mix the product about 10:1 with water so a little goes a LONG way.

The microfiber cloth is just a nice, very soft, cloth. You an pick them up either online, at your local auto store, or even at Wal-Mart. The quality does vary though as you can get some nice ones from the detail vendors, but some basic ones at the local stores aren`t too bad.

That All Purpose Cleaner will take that stuff right off in seconds. You do NOT want to use abrasives inside the car.

(If you really can`t get any of the automotive all purpose cleaner, some 409 will work but that kind of thing can be a bit harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! I was thinking I needed some fancy cleaner that`s just for a car that I overlooked all the all-purpose cleaners I have already.

I`m wondering if Magic Eraser (Mr Clean) will work then. I don`t see why not.

Thanks again! I can`t wait to try it tomorrow.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Household cleaners vary in strength and I personally feel that 409 is somewhat harsh. In fact, some companies recommend against using it.
    Fantatic seems to be a little less harsh.
    Using the APC with a terry wash cloth or towel will clean most areas up pretty good.
    I don`t use the Magic Eraser, but I think I have read where it also is somewhat harsh.
    Don`t get too carried away with scrubbing the area hard. Gentle usually works pretty good.
    I recently cleaned up a VW belonging to the wife of a friend and the armrests appeared to have some type of coating over the vinyl and it was wearing off. I had never seen that before and I don`t know if it happens to other vehicles or not. Like I said, be gentle.

And welcome to DC!

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply and the welcome

So, how do I know which is too harsh and which isn`t? Any particular ingredients I should be looking out for? Brands would be great, too.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic worked on the vinyl in a boat for me for a lot of years.
    Chances are pretty good that you even have some.
    Also, I think giving an APC some dwell time to work on the dirt/stain before you start wiping it off is worth doing. Sprey it on and wait a few minutes. Like 2 to 5 minutes. Don`t let the APC dry before you wipe it off or you will need to do it again.

Charles

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

You an always take some 409/Fantastik/similar and pour it into a plastic container with some water and use it that way. Maybe mix it half and half. That should cut it down to something reasonable. You don`t "have" to use the fancy cleaners we do, but they do have some benefits.

Honestly, I`d be willing to bet that if you got some of the better professional APCs we use, and used them around the house, you`d prefer them. And they work out to be a LOT cheaper. My APC is about $35 a gallon. Around the house I would use it at 20:1 or 10:1. That means my 1 gallon of APC would make at least 10 gallons of cleaner and as much as 20 gallons. For $35. What do you spend for your household cleaners? And some, like the Poorboys APC are biodegradable. That`s the direction I`ll be going with future APC purchases. I don`t buy household cleaners any more.

Post Thanks / Like

An easy and safe solution would be to try a Woolite 10:1 or 8:1 solution. It isn`t very aggressive, but it is very safe. If that doesn`t work, you could step up to an APC mixture. I would try that first. It`s always best to try the least aggressive method first. Good luck!

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i just use a small interior only set of mf towels, soap and water in a bucket

and i use simple green anti bacterial cleaner all purpose diluted 50-50 of course . and usually they all come off when i use my interior sponge .. and then i go over with the mf towel after wetting the whole door then dry it with a clean one and then i apply the 303 protectant for the money shot ...

Post Thanks / Like

go back to advanced auto and get some tuff stuff cleaner.

22 OZ, Tuff Stuff Multi-Purpose Upholstery Foam Cleaner, Deep Cleaning

and a towel. this should do it. you don`t want to be to agressive with vinyl. or it will be runied/stained for good!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to clean the door

Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    An easy and safe solution would be to try a Woolite 10:1 or 8:1 solution. It isn`t very aggressive, but it is very safe. If that doesn`t work, you could step up to an APC mixture. I would try that first. It`s always best to try the least aggressive method first. Good luck!
    Came here to say this. Woolite & water is a great all around interior cleaner.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

to Dollar Store, Pick-up a bottle of Awesome.

back home, pour Awesome in a Bucket(just enough to cover the bottom of Bucket)then add some warm water(it will suds up like )fill-up bucket about 1/3 of the way, its to heavy tryin to lug a 5-gallon bucket around that is full=about 40lb`s

Get you a mit & drop in bucket.get the mit out of bucket and ring out most of the product back into bucket.Then wipe door panel(or what ever else is funky)Come back with a terry cloth towel and wipe clean...As a matter of fact you should already have a towel laying Nearby

I`m sorry I don`t have a Ratio factor to give you, I always just eyeball it

I just sent a up to GOD, for your Husband and his Unit to have a succesfull Mission & a Safe return Home

Oh Yea I almost forgot, TO "Tha Family"

"DON`T" Spray this product directly on anything other then FloorMats/Carpets and even then you don`t want it to sit to long

Post Thanks / Like

99cent fingernail brush from AAP works wonders.A mesh bug sponge works good too.

My apc costs 15 a gallon and I use it all over the house and car

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, thank you so much, everyone! I need to write all of this down b/c I need to read it over and over to make sure I do the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
    I just sent a up to GOD, for your Husband and his Unit to have a succesfull Mission & a Safe return Home
    I really, really appreciate that. It means a lot

Thread Information