Post Thanks / Like

A few Questions: Need help/advice

*sigh* First off kinda sucks that the forums threads were deleted, and alot of the accounts were also lost recently.....there were ALOT of great threads that are now gone.

Anyhow, there are alot of expereinced/knowledgeable and helpfull members here, so im hoping you guys/gals can answer my questions.

First off, i have been using Meguiars products for quite some time now (Manily Gold class and the 3 step system), very pleased with the results too.

#1However, i was wondering if any of you could suggest or tell me the methods you guys use in order to remove light oxidation/scratces/spider webs and swirl marks. Alot of different people use numerous products, and have various techniques, so in regards to people who use Meguiars (im open to those who dont either! ) what do you find gives the best results?
    Meguiars Recommended for me to start with the Medallion Paint cleaner, and then finish with their NXT-tech wax product....your thoughts?

#2 I have also been applying all of my paint cleaners, polishes and sealants by hand too, but now i am searching for more efficient and less time consuming methods. I have zero experience with orbital buffers/PC`s.....so i am looking for something that is simple to use, cost effective and delivers outstanding results. Let me know what you guys use, and how you use it :-p

#3 Another question is rim polishing. What products have you found deliver the best results. Share your suggestions/stories...i am very interested to know.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
    Plm Bch, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and im also exploring my options of even higher quality polishes/waxes than even Meguiars can offer.

I`ve done some research and ive heard that P21S is an excellent product (although pretty pricey if you ask me). A few friends of mine assure me that S100 products are equally as impressive with significantly less cost.

I also know quite abit about Zaino and its awesome results.....but the thing is the Zaino process requires alot of time (numerous coats, curing etc...) so synthetic is not what im looking for.

Share you suggestions in regards to TOP notch, high quality premium grade products.

:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike - I am a newbie at this game myself so I don`t have much experience to draw on, however, lack of knowledge has never precluded me from speaking on a subject before - why start now?

Seriously, on #3 - I bought a little black sheepskin half mitt from griot`s overpriced garage. It`s great for rim washing. If you`re still looking for help cleaning them before polishing them, worth considering.

Now I`ll shut up and listen for a bit ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dalmore: I was reffering mainly to rim polishing rather than the actual process of cleaning and removind dirt/grime/brake dust.

hehe, any input is always welcome, so don`t worry about sharing your thoughts even if you beleive your a `newbie.`

The reason i ask is b/c i am considering purchasing Meg`s rim polish, however, i am in the constant search of top quality products that produce execellence....not just `good` results.

:beer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to cut time, its possible after you have prepped the car 1 big time. You do not need to use an abrasive every detail or wash you do. If you were to use an abrasive for your wax or sealant, its general VERY fine and light. General just a cleaner

Detailing takes time and effort, its not 1 coat and your done, (cleaner wax )

Althought NOT Meguiars, I recommend Poorboys Products. The products are great by hand, can be used in the sun, and are relatively cheap / easy to use.

If you just want to do occasional washes and maintenance, go with a sealant.

Here are the Poorboy`s products I recommend:
    SSR1 + 2 - Swirl Removers, that actually can be used for prepping the surface

ProPolish - A Polish for MANY things

Polish with Carnauba - Good polish that you can use to clean and prepare the surface for a sealant or wax

Good Combo`s:
    EX-P / PP - Clear and Durable setup that makes Metallic Paint Sparkle
    EX / PwC - Warm Glow that is deep and rich
    PwC / EX / S100 - Melting water paint!
    EX-P / PP / Natty`s wax - Clear and Bright Paint

You need to prepare the surface for those defects / blemishes, and it takes time.

Hope I could answer most of your questions! :bye

Post Thanks / Like
    Woob, thx for the reply.

Don`t get me wrong bud, before any polish, wax or sealant is applied the surface is meticulously prepped. Hose down, scrub with soap (i use Meg`s car wash liquid), dry, then (if needed) claybar. I have never used `quik detailing` gimmick products either, so dont worry.

Also, i do own my own Mobile Detailing business, so i can appreciate the long time and hard effort thats needed when prepping/detailing a car. I just want to broaden my horizons, and get feedback about various tools/products and techniques.

What im tryin to say is that i make sure the surface is as un-contaminated as possible before i begin to polish/wax it.

Can i ask why you are adoment about NOT using Meg`s products too?

Also, i got off the phone with Meg`s Technical assistance asking them about their PC/orbital buffer, when the guy mentions its like $225!

Thats pretty steep in my opinion, hence, i asked which models you guys use and are pleased with....keeping in mind that i have no experience in mechanical buffing, and i want to keep this as cost efficient as possible.

Thanks again, keep the ideas coming.

:-p
    Last edited by BaDm0theR; 03-04-2004 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Meguiars products are GREAT! However the ease of use from Poorboy`s stuff is amazing, and the fact that Steve helped me out alot throughout my decision making. It I were to order Meguiars products, they would be from the Body Shop / Detailer line that would need the use of a PC or rotary.

Their PC is 240 because they rename it. Many of the members agree, its just a repackaged PC 7424

Rotary: Dewalt / Milwaukee / Makita
    Orbit buffer: ALOT of PCs, as they are very well liked and known.
    Some others: Cyclo (rare and dangerous...) and some other orbit buffers

I would keep reading / posting on Major details in the Professional section. People have different variations for their own processes. But it takes time.

Hope I could help! :jump

Post Thanks / Like
    My reply will sound like an echo but here goes.

I am totally sold on Poorboy products for every detail. If you go to his website www.poorboysworld.com you will find his phone number there. I recommend you call him and ask any question you want. Steve has many years experience as the owner of a body shop and detailing business. He knows what`s up. He`ll steer you striaght at every turn and if you try to buy something he thinks you may not need he`ll tell you so.

I also recommend the Porter Cable 7224...or is it 7424??? whatever... random obital polisher and I also have a Makita rotary. What the heck is the number.....9227 sticks in my head....not sure.

Hope this helps.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Porter Cable 7424 Kit From CoastalTool.com - BEST KIT on the market! 6" Backing plate + 6 CW
    Dewalt 443 Random Orbit - Some say it works well, not very popular

You might be able to find a PC 7336 and just get accessories. As it has a 6CW

Rotory;
    Makita 9227
    Dewalt 849

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave the rotaries to the pros .. go with the 7424 from Coastal Tool .. and get the pads

Here is a good link for buffing info

Buffing Info

I use the Menzerna polishes because they have no fillers and its easy to see your results.

Once the surface is preped .. try the new Meguiars NXT .. Ihave used it and its not Zaino but its close to the Klasse twins.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I would def say go with the PC 7424 for the polisher - i just got mine in earlier this week!!

I have heard of some people using Poorboy`s Professional Polish for their wheels and obtaining great results although i have done that before.

If you want to stay in the meg`s line, i would say Swirl-Free Polish or the more aggressive Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Although I use Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by their Final Polish - Absolutely oustanding results - the best I have ever used.

Hope that Helps!!
    1998 Acura 3.0Cl - Clean, just how I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Big thumbs up to all those who put in their helpfull input

A question that still remains is what are/is the best type of wheel polish, based on your experiences.

Thx again.

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Thread Information