Post Thanks / Like

? about cleaner/wax.

I searched a little bit but have not come up with a definitive answer. I have a black 1987 ford ranger in fairly good condition. Mom gave it to me. It was maintained pretty well. The paint is still good, clear seems ok too. I recently did a full detail, clay, polish, wax. All Adam`s products. My question is this. The truck sits outside 24/7. Is there a particular cleaner/wax that could be recommended that I could apply once a month? Mainly low maint., good cleaning ability, and proper protection. This is my daily driver, so I`m not looking for show quality results, just something to extend the life of the paint. Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions.
    J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy`s polish w/carnauba

Boss_429
    J.D,

I couldn`t agree more with EBPcivicsi! PWC would be a fine choice. If you need to pick something up locally, I would go with Mother`s cleaner wax, or Meguiar`s cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I have ordered PWC and can`t wait to try it. I can`t seem to get enough of the Spray & Wipe. Thats by far my favorite QD. Again, thanks.
    J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats JD PB`s products are awesome - but... just an FYI

S&w is not a QD
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    Congrats JD PB`s products are awesome - but... just an FYI

S&w is not a QD
    It`s better than a QD...imo.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously doubt if you even have a clear coat on that truck !
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like
    groebuck,

thats wierd, because on the bottle it says waterless wash and quick detailer, oh well, it still works for me.

patrick,

you`re probably right about the clear, because whenever I wax, seems like a lot of black on the pad.
    thanks all for the comments.

J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by J.D.
    thats wierd, because on the bottle it says waterless wash and quick detailer, oh well, it still works for me.
    It might be more correct to say that S&W is not just a QD. It can be used as a QD, but it doesn`t have any gloss enhancing properties that many people look for in a QD product. It also has much better cleaning properties than typical QDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    awd330,

that definitely makes sense. but do you feel that it is ok to use as a regular maintanence type of product everyday for light dust removal?

J.D.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    J.D.

Just a thought...If you are going to be applying a product every month, you may not need a cleaner wax product. Your basic liquid or paste wax may prove sufficient. If you decide to go the cleaner wax route, I think that the Mother`s and Meguiars products are excellent off the shelf options to consider. I don`t have Steve`s PWC, but I believe I`ve read somewhere at this site where the EX had some cleaning properties. I can vouch for the EX in looks and ease of application and removal.

As far as S&W, I definitely wouldn`t consider it a traditional QD. It is a very nice cleaner and can clean most anything. But...it does not add any shine or slickness to your paint. Add some QD to it though and you might just have the best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by J.D.
    awd330,

that definitely makes sense. but do you feel that it is ok to use as a regular maintanence type of product everyday for light dust removal?

J.D.
    I mix Spray and Wipe and Meguiar`s Final Detail in a 3:1 ratio for use as a daily detailing spray. This gives me almost all of the cleaning power of S&W with some of FD`s gloss enhancing properties.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it everyday or very close to daily. I don`t mix it with anything and I`d swear it enhances gloss.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    PB is just that good - I use it too most every day but I was told it`s not a QD in the sense that it does not enhance /protect the wax/sealant like say 4*UGH or PB`s QD+.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mr. Clean and awd330 for the suggestions. I do have to agree with JimS though, I do seem to get a pretty good gloss from the S&W when I use it for light dust removal. Doesn`t seem to attract much dust either. By the way, I should mention that I use the S&W on my garaged black s/c`ed 2000 4runner. That might make a difference too I think.
    I know, I started this thread about my Ford Ranger, but that one sits outside all the time. Sorry for any confusion. The 4runner gets the P21S treatment. Just thought I would mention it. Thanks all for the replies.
    J.D.

Thread Information