Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Question

Just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL, it is white platinum tri-coat and was wondering what steps to take and what products to use to make the white shine as much as possible. I have always had darker cars in the past, never white.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question

I`m not certain what the "platinum" part of white is. Is it a pearlescent paint? IMO, that could make a difference on the possible recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does look "pearl" like, with metallic flake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eemj1051 View Post
    Just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL, it is white platinum tri-coat and was wondering what steps to take and what products to use to make the white shine as much as possible. I have always had darker cars in the past, never white.
    White=Smart Man

Post Thanks / Like

White - my reaction is that you got cheated out of a color.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I swear, they`re gonna have the 2011`s out next week!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

OK what products do you have or are you starting from scratch? Will you be working by hand or with a PC/Flex/Rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

I will be doing it all by hand, I have some Mequiars polish and wax, thats it as far as products, not much. Basically starting from scratch.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    White - my reaction is that you got cheated out of a color.
    Hey Al, Stuff it!!!
    Nasty letter to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I swear, they`re gonna have the 2011`s out next week!
    It`s about time. The suspense is killing me. I wonder what the new owners of Crysler and GM will come up with.

I will be doing it all by hand, I have some Mequiars polish and wax, thats it as far as products, not much. Basically starting from scratch.
    You could be a little more specific on what you presently own. Some Meguiar`s polish and wax could cover about 50 products amd more combinations than I`m smart enough to figure out.

Don`t get the idea that you can`t get good results with what you have just yet. Take a look at Jared Pointer`s truck here. It was done with an OTC product from Meguiar`s.
    You are going to read 90% process, 10% product many times here and it is very true.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

By hand.... Using Meg`s OTC products....

I`ll give you a list of what I would get.

1) NXT wash shampoo
    2) ScratchX (or SwirlX - i have heard good things about it)
    3) ColorX
    4) NXT 2.0
    5) About three packs of those Turtle Wax Ice Mega Microfiber towels I just found.
    6) Several packs of the Meg`s yellow foam applicator pads
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

As always, JP`s got you covered on the OTC route. The Meguiar`s NXT carwash has disappeared from our area, but if you can get it do. If not and you have a CarQuest (IIRC - that is the chain), pick up a gallon of the Duragloss carwash.

Also, most WM have the Mother`s Claybar kit. You will definitely want at least one of those. Don`t forget to cut it into 1/3s or 1/2.

If you want to do the online ordering route, the first product I would get would be some Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe. This is a wonder for a drying aid and can clean up some of the "bits and pieces" of gunk that get left behind.

Second - Poorboy`s Bug Squash for the really stubborn stuff.

Third - KAIO. This product is very easy to apply and remove by hand while still doing a good job of cleaning. CharlesW might point you towards PoliSeal, but I don`t have any experience with that product.

Fourth - LSP There are any number of options here, but I`ll give you two which IME will help to accentuate the pearlescent/metalflake paint. Poorboy`s EX-P or PwS. Yes, I know someone is going to say that the PwS might remove the KAIO, but who cares. It has done it`s job by cleaning the paint, and I think most agree that the protection of KAIO is rather short lived anyway.

There are hundreds of options, but you probably can get all of these from the DC store and Troy will take good care of you. Whatever you do, come back and let us know your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart is dropping the Mothers kit. They had it on sale for $8 as a clearance and only carrying Meguiars. It is a shame too since Mothers now has 2 bars (total 160g) and a mf towel but no cleaner wax. Advance carries it,

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

ONR
    Clay
    Inspect the paint and then do a test spot for polishing
    Duragloss 501 to clean
    FK1 1000p or Duragloss 111
    top with a wax if you choose, Souveran and P21s 100% both look good on white (I am sure there is a lot more but these are the 2 I would choose from what I have tried on my white)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Walmart is dropping the Mothers kit. They had it on sale for $8 as a clearance and only carrying Meguiars. It is a shame too since Mothers now has 2 bars (total 160g) and a mf towel but no cleaner wax. Advance carries it,
    That must be another of those "region by region" deals. When I was in, there were several (I didn`t count) on the shelf and not sign of "Price Rollback".

For the OP, if the Mother`s clays system is not in stock, can anyone give a recommendation on the Meguiar`s clay system? I guess I should pick one up and try it. Right now I`m clay rich.

Quote Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
    ONR
    Clay
    Inspect the paint and then do a test spot for polishing
    Duragloss 501 to clean
    FK1 1000p or Duragloss 111
    top with a wax if you choose, Souveran and P21s 100% both look good on white (I am sure there is a lot more but these are the 2 I would choose from what I have tried on my white)
    I`ve only used Liquid Suveran, how is Souveran paste on metallic paint? I`ve always had the picture of Souveran for the solid blacks and reds of the paint world. I know I`ve got some Pinnacle Signature that was supposed to be targeted towards light/metallic paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I think I will take MR. Cleans advice and look into ordering from the site. The few things I do have are old, might as well start out with new stuff for a new car. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information