Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil in Carpet NIGHTMARE! HELP?!

Well...here`s the situation. I had a 5 qt jug of Mobil 5000 that had about 1 qt left in it leak onto the floor of my pass side rear floorboard.

I mean...it SOAKED the floor mat and some ran off of it and soaked into the carpet.

I took the car to a wand wash and vacuumed what I could, but there is still some in the carpet and floormat.

What would be you guys` suggestion for getting that out? I thought about spraying it down with a degreaser solution and vacuuming it out with my wet/dry vac.

Do you guys think that a shop with an extractor, etc would be able to easily clean this up?

Thanks in advance, Ya`ll!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil in Carpet NIGHTMARE! HELP?!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Rock77 View Post
    Well...here`s the situation. I had a 5 qt jug of Mobil 5000 that had about 1 qt left in it leak onto the floor of my pass side rear floorboard.

I mean...it SOAKED the floor mat and some ran off of it and soaked into the carpet.

I took the car to a wand wash and vacuumed what I could, but there is still some in the carpet and floormat.

What would be you guys` suggestion for getting that out? I thought about spraying it down with a degreaser solution and vacuuming it out with my wet/dry vac.

Do you guys think that a shop with an extractor, etc would be able to easily clean this up?

Thanks in advance, Ya`ll!
    The ole oil in tha carpet trick...1st thing I would do is get a bag of oil dry/cat litter and dump it all over said area.Then with your feet move oil dry/cat litter all around(kinda in a circular motion) Then vacumn,
    You will probally have to repeat these steps several times untill oily residue is gone.At this point shampoo carpets as usual.This is 1 time I would recommend using APC full strength
    Be glad it was New motor oil, or it really would have been a stinkin/dirty mess.Good Luck

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to try to resolve this yourself or have someone else try?

If the former? Do you have a carpet cleaning/janitorial supply dealer nearby?

If the latter, try calling a carpet cleaning company.

There are spotting products specific to cleaning paint/oil/grease (POG).

Post Thanks / Like

In that case I might start with some dish soap in hot as possible water...its a super strong degreaser and would lift the oil...you really have to rinse with clean water and lift with the shop vac to get dish soap out...Once you have the soap on the area, use a brush to really work the area up...

A good APC would do the same but I caution you on that one as some APC`s can discolor the nap in the rug...I would also suggest that you get on this ASAP so that it doesn`t stain the rug permanently
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe an APC since most of them have a degreasing agent in them.

Just read teh 2nd part of Daves post.

I agree
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also use "waterless hand cleaner" like Gojo. (Make sure it`s the creamy kind, not the stuff with pumice.) Rub it in, wipe off with a towel. Repeat as needed. Once all gone, I`d recommend doing a full shampoo with extraction to get all residue out as well as blend in the surrounding carpet. (You don`t want 1 really clean spot showing.)
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral Spirits first then soap and water after the mineral spirits dry.Do not soak carpet with spirits, just wet a towel with spirits and rub the spot and wipe dry with another towel .

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem...I had a gallon jug of canola oil on the table..one of my dogs jumped up and knocked it off as I was outside getting rest of the shopping...it soaked in fast.....

I broke out the extractor..i sprayed the area with a Citrus APC..ZEP I believe...then I extracted it....I then lifted the rug to get the pad area..I did the same..twice to get most oil out...I relayed the carpet ..BUT I covered the pad area with some plastic first

i then laid the carpet back down..spray ed the carpet and extracted 2 more times....

reason I covered the pad was it is very hard to get oil out of it..since it is very absorbent and porous..so what remained it it will eventually leach back into the rug..so I just cleaned as good as I could and covered it to prevent leaching..concentrated on the carpet...

once cleaned it looked great and no oil leaching back into the fibers from the pad...

the Citrus cleaner REALLY broke the oil down and got it all up

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    ...What makes this forum great is the people that can add hands on experience to questions asked. Meaning that its something they have tried and got desired results. Stating that you`ve heard, read or haven`t tried is not in most cases helping.
    One has to realize that giving advice on a forum like this without hands on experience can result in someone doing more harm than good to a car.

That`s just my take and again thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    In that case I might start with some dish soap in hot as possible water...its a super strong degreaser and would lift the oil...you really have to rinse with clean water and lift with the shop vac to get dish soap out...Once you have the soap on the area, use a brush to really work the area up...

A good APC would do the same but I caution you on that one as some APC`s can discolor the nap in the rug...I would also suggest that you get on this ASAP so that it doesn`t stain the rug permanently
    Can we assume that you have removed motor oil using dish soap?

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m surprised no one has suggested lifting that section of carpet and getting underneath it.

Yeah you can probably get by with just an extractor. But if it were me i would remove the door sills and front seat on whatever side its on, and lift the carpet up and get all of it.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d get a SHAM WOW that thing should absorb it all and you know it`s good cause it`s made in Germany

no really APC with an extractor should do the trick

now if Blinded was still around, he would use bleach (ok old DC inside joke)
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I still say oil dry for the initial mess......Sometimes you have to get a little medeval.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    I`m surprised no one has suggested lifting that section of carpet and getting underneath it.

Yeah you can probably get by with just an extractor. But if it were me i would remove the door sills and front seat on whatever side its on, and lift the carpet up and get all of it.
    Sounds like you and I would have the same approach. I would pull the seat, trim, and carpet. If it soaked into the padding, I would replace that section of padding as well. It would be easier that way actually. You would get it all and not have any lingering after smell. Plus, I you`ll never get it 100% with an extractor alone if it went though the carpet.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Sounds like you and I would have the same approach. I would pull the seat, trim, and carpet. If it soaked into the padding, I would replace that section of padding as well. It would be easier that way actually. You would get it all and not have any lingering after smell. Plus, I you`ll never get it 100% with an extractor alone if it went though the carpet.
    If it was a customers car and they were willing to pay extra? YES......My daily driver? NO I can`t even get around to giving it more than a spray wash at DIY much less yanking the skins/seats out. just clean it up best you can and throw 2 watermelon airfreshners under seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Can we assume that you have removed motor oil using dish soap?

Back when I started detailing I used dish soap a lot it was all I knew to use...I cleaned mats this way...Coming from a framing community there was a lot of greasy carpets.

You can assume that to be correct!

That`s why I suggested it
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information