Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Steps that I should take?

Hey Everyone,

Bought my first place a few months ago, so now I finally have somewhere that I can wash my car by hand. After my first hand wash on my 2007 Acura TL Type-S I noticed the obscene amount of scratches and swirls... Probably from my crappy wash and all the autowashes i`ve driven thru...
    I`ve got the Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl, so of course it shows everything.

I`ve been searching and reviewing other threads, and I think I have my plan worked out, looking for some confirmation that I`m on the correct track. I`m starting with nothing, so I`m going on a bit of a detailing shopping spree... Here`s what I`m dealing with, mostly swirls, but a pretty decent amount of scratches, they are all very fine like in the first photo.

So here`s my plan...
    After reading around, it seems the Poorboy`s stuff is the way to go, the fact I can put it on in the sun is a huge advantage, as my garage is far too small to work in.

Wash - PB SS&S
    Clay - Pinacle Ultra Clay w/ PB S&G
    Polish is where I`m not sure, and maybe it`s just trial and error.
    Polish - PC 7424 w/ PB SSR1 w/ white pad or PBSSR2.5 with orange pad. Maybe start with the SSR1 and move to SSR2.5 if needed?
    Glaze - PB Black Hole
    Sealant - PB EX w/ some QD at the end.

So what do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Anything else to think about before I get this process going?

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steps that I should take?

Do you already have all these products? Are you willing to purchase more if different recommendation come? Do yiu have plenty of high quality micro fiber towels? (the plusher ones with no tags, and preferably made in Korea, not China). PBs has somde nice clay but only on the PBs site. You may want to use the white pads with the 2.5 too. Have plenty of pads also, Ill recommwend 4 each of the following: orange for sever correction, white for lighter correction and polishing, black or gray (depends on who is selling them what color they call them), use for final polish and liquid LSP=LAST STEP PRODUCT. Use PBs Spray and Wipe as lube, but S+G may work too. I use S+G after a wash when the vehicle is still wettish as S+G helps some how with the drying. Try it youll like it in that situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL View Post
    Do you already have all these products?
    Nope
    Are you willing to purchase more if different recommendation come?
    Sure, it`s only money right? I`m happy to take anything under consideration. From my various searches it seems a large fraction of people like the PB`s stuff, and I like that i can apply in the sun.
    Do you have plenty of high quality micro fiber towels? (the plusher ones with no tags, and preferably made in Korea, not China).
    Also no, I`m having a hard time figuring out how many, and what kind of MF`s to get. Autogeek has about 20 different kinds (just a bit overwhelming). I`ve got a couple of the Cobra WW drying towels in my car so far, but that`s it.
    PBs has somde nice clay but only on the PBs site.
    I`m flexible on the type of clay I buy, wasn`t able to find a glowing review for any specific one from most of the members, seems to be varied.
    You may want to use the white pads with the 2.5 too. Have plenty of pads also, Ill recommwend 4 each of the following: orange for sever correction, white for lighter correction and polishing, black or gray (depends on who is selling them what color they call them), use for final polish and liquid LSP=LAST STEP PRODUCT.
    Here`s the PC kit i`m starting with. Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car BufferI`m hoping that`s enough pad`s to get thru a single car detail, I would agree that I might need more, as part of the deal in buying this stuff is that I keep my wife`s car looking as good as mine.
    Use PBs Spray and Wipe as lube, but S+G may work too. I use S+G after a wash when the vehicle is still wettish as S+G helps some how with the drying. Try it youll like it in that situation.
    I was thinking of using the PB QD+ for when drying, then the S+G for the clay lube, but does the spray and wipe work better because it`s doing some cleaning while claying? Obviously wouldn`t replace a needed hand wash. Then after the LSP using QD+ again to finish it out. Should I just skip the QD+ and use S&G for after wash and after LSP? Then use S+W for clay lube?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bostonpete View Post
    I like that i can apply in the sun.
    Just remember you have a black car. Yes you can use most of the pn line in the sun (which is great for me).... BUT if the paint is too hot to hold your hand on for a while it`s too hot to use product on.

IMHO I would add pb natty`s red after the sealant then qd+

I LOVE the way it looks.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would use S&W for clay lube. You`ll get a little extra cleaning capability.

Use S&G when drying and after your LSP.

Use QD+ to help boost your LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    BUT if the paint is too hot to hold your hand on for a while it`s too hot to use product on.
    Very good point. I will definitly keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    IMHO I would add pb natty`s red after the sealant then qd+
    I think I`ll start with getting it looking good, then work on getting it looking like

So here`s what I`m thinking I`m going to need. It seems like a lot of stuff, but I guess you need the right tools to do the job correctly. And if I`m going to spend the time, I`d like to do right the first time! But it`s also possible I`m going a bit overboard.

Keep in mind, I am starting at square one here.

So here then I think are my steps and items needed.

PB has a wash bucket special (only have one bucket now, so probably good for my 2-bucket wash).
    Comes with Bucket, grit guard, Wash Mit, WW MF towel, PB SS&S wash.

Some PB S&G for drying. (with the WW MF towel in the above kit).

I checked in on the PB clay bar, and they have a clay kit with 8oz bar, S&W and MF towel, seems like a nice deal.

Then the PC 7424 kit w/ LC Pads
    Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer

PB SSR 2.5
    PB SSR 1
    PB Black Hole Glaze
    PB EX
    Probably starting with SSR1 and going up to SSR2.5 and down again to SSR1 as needed (and per some of the other threads).
    Then finish off after the Sealant with some PB QD+

Add in a bunch of MF towels for drying, polish, buffing, etc...

Wow, I think that`s it, am I missing anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Iwould add the Nattys Red or your prefered carnuba as a topper, the depth and clarity is well worth the investment. Also buy some top quality MF for the paint, cheaper towels are ok for the grunge work.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`ll start with getting it looking good, then work on getting it looking like

So here`s what I`m thinking I`m going to need. It seems like a lot of stuff, but I guess you need the right tools to do the job correctly. And if I`m going to spend the time, I`d like to do right the first time! But it`s also possible I`m going a bit overboard.

PB has a wash bucket special (only have one bucket now, so probably good for my 2-bucket wash).

I checked in on the PB clay bar, and they have a clay kit with 8oz bar, S&W and MF towel, seems like a nice deal.

PB SSR 2.5
    PB SSR 1
    PB Black Hole Glaze
    PB EX
    Probably starting with SSR1 and going up to SSR2.5 and down again to SSR1 as needed (and per some of the other threads).

With those steps it should look

Enjoy, and remember pics are required!!

Good luck and have fun with it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

When you order the QD+ be sure to order a fine mist sprayer, a little goes a long way with that product.

By the way, I used basically the same products and methods on my wifes Acura black pearl paint with excellent results, you should be very happy when its done, please post pics!

Post Thanks / Like

PB SSR 2.5
    PB SSR 1
    PB Black Hole Glaze
    PB EX

Sounds like a solid plan. The only thing I would change is that I would use Red instead of EX, but that`s personal preference. It will look good either way. Welcome to your new addiction!

As mentioned, pics are required!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    Sounds like a solid plan. The only thing I would change is that I would use Red instead of EX, but that`s personal preference. It will look good either way. Welcome to your new addiction!

As mentioned, pics are required!
    Yea, i ended up adding some Natty`s blue to my order from all the positive reviews that I read about that here, I`m not sure how that compares to the Red, but I`m sure it will look awesome. Hoping to get it all sometime this week and with some decent weather next Sunday will work on it then. I will definitly post my results!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, i ended up adding some Natty`s blue to my order from all the positive reviews that I read about that here, I`m not sure how that compares to the Red, but I`m sure it will look awesome. Hoping to get it all sometime this week and with some decent weather next Sunday will work on it then. I will definitly post my results!
    Blue looks very good too. I think you will be very pleased. Looking forward to the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

me too! u are on the rite track bostonpete.
    1988 Volvo 244DL w/ GL wheels dark red
    2003 Volvo XC70 ash gold metallic
    getting the car dirty is half the battle, washing is the fun part

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you use at least the 5.5in pads anything larger with a PC and you won`t achieve much correction. As far as towels, pick up some of the 530`s from Autogeek, (the gray with black trim) they work great!

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s one of my finishing photo`s.

I put the rest of them here
    http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...me-detail.html

Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information