Post Thanks / Like

I`ve Recently Noticed

It seems like just recently I`ve seen a lot of people who are interested in becoming detailers. I certainly mean no offense in this comment but I often wonder if people realize how much work actually goes into being one who is recognized. The work is hard, I don`t mean in the sense that one needs to hold a Master`s degree but rather hard physical work with long hours and at times difficult customers. Of course one doesn`t need to start out with $10K in product and tools but the initial investment to really be successful is significant.

I assume that there are many amateurs out there just like myself. We are enthusiasts in every sense of the word and can without question turn out wonderful results. That said, taking those skills and refining the process into something where real money can be made isn`t something just anyone can do. I for one could not, my body has let me down and physically I couldn`t do it. To those of you that are professionals who make a comfortable living and actually enjoy your work, my hat is off to you. To those of you seeking to become such, I wish you well. Research the field well before you quit your "other" job, there is so much more to it than buying a few towels and a bottle of NXT. The fact that you are here, reading this, gives you so much the advantage.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve Recently Noticed

A couple of friends and I were discussing this last night actually.
    One conclusion we came to was;
    With the economy the way it is, lots of people who have done a nice job washing and waxing a car now "hang out a shingle" so to speak.
    Most of these are people who think a quick trip to pep boys/autozone and I`m in business.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agreed with GH on this. In the past yr or two, many wannabe detailers have pop up and doing business with no lic. or ins. and taking business away from me and other folks in the business for many many yrs. I now only PT in doing it but I do get about 5 calls a week from word of mouth and from other detailers I known for many years that don`t go on any forums. It hurts because these folks charge nothing for the work they do and hack up cars and give True Detailers a bad rap.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda fall within the category of amateur, delving into the professional realm. I`m a teacher, so I detail cars during the summer mostly by word of mouth, and I usually make a few grand each summer doing this. I am by no means a professional, however I do a very thorough job and attain excellent results. I don`t undercut anyone around me, so I`m earning my own business and charging accordingly. There aren`t many detailers around me, and I know for certain one of them is a complete hack (he does work for one of the largest dealerships around here), man does this guy suck. I saw a few new cars he detailed that the dealership delivered, and I can`t believe they sent them out looking the way they did. The only other major places are the Delta Sonics which detail cars on a conveyor belt...seriously. As GH said, I have done my research (since 1994) and have learned how to get great results by doing my own cars and by simply being a bit obsessive compulsive...

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing new. Every year I see new detailers come and go in our area. Some have elaborate set-ups and others plaster a magnetic sign on the side of their old beat up pick-up truck that has never been detailed itself. Within a year or so later they realize that it ain`t that easy to make money in this business and quit.

I saw a lot of guys coming in our store from the construction industry looking to start out in detailing this last year. Most of them don`t come back.

With the economy like it is, it`s only natural to see more of them than normal.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    To those of you seeking to become such, I wish you well. Research the field well before you quit your "other" job, there is so much more to it than buying a few towels and a bottle of NXT. The fact that you are here, reading this, gives you so much the advantage.
    The ones that come online and try to at least learn
    something like proper paint polishing and what products they should be using on what are the ones that will have a better shot at making it. I know I would have liked to have all this info available to me when I started.

Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, at least some of these folks are out trying to earn a living and not expect a handout living from the government....
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    On the bright side, at least some of these folks are out trying to earn a living and not expect a handout living from the government....
    Absolutely and I`m not trying to be overly critical in my previous post. I just sense by the way some of the threads are crafted that perhaps the big picture isn`t being seen. Anybody that is willing to work for their keep regardless of the field or their experience is Aces in my book.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    This is nothing new. Every year I see new detailers come and go in our area. Some have elaborate set-ups and others plaster a magnetic sign on the side of their old beat up pick-up truck that has never been detailed itself. Within a year or so later they realize that it ain`t that easy to make money in this business and quit.

I saw a lot of guys coming in our store from the construction industry looking to start out in detailing this last year. Most of them don`t come back.

While I agree there does seem to be more people starting there on detailing biz. it is certainly nothing new to me.I can`t tell you how many people over tha years have seen the cars I work on and say I CAN DO THAT!!! I have always been very willing to help anyone wanting to get in this biz.It is tha same story everytime. They come in all gung-ho and before the year is out they have figured out there is alot more to it than they ever imagined and they quit

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t seen many that come and go around here, but I agree 100% with what Gearhead said...

When I started doing this on my own, I had the thought that everybody knew I did detailing and it`d just come my way. WRONG! I had a good first few weeks because I had told a lot of people I knew that I was detailing on my own. Ever since it`s always been up and down, I have a few weeks when I`m really busy and then it can level off. Everything I`ve dealt with made me realize how difficult it can be to make a name for yourself.

I`ve been detailing for myself for nearly 3 years now, and I can say I`ve definitely built up a good client base and have some good connections, but I`ve got a long ways to go...
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post

I`m a laid off pipefitter.Detailing is just a hobby that I`ve always had but just recently started doing it for other people to keep my ship from sinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a sign of the economy people are out of work can`t find a job, so they do what they have to, to make ends meet...detailing / car washing is one of those that can make cash now!

I don`t blame them for trying...When I started it was just for fun, but the biz has grown into more than that for me...currently that cash flows helps us greatly and when its not in the monthly budget its felt in a lot of cases
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve also noticed this lately. With all the knowledge that can be absorbed through detailing forums one can learn a lot by reading over night. But, it still takes years to truly master the art of detailing IMO. There is just too much involed that cannot be learned with keyboard and mouse.

I worry that a lot of these new and inexperienced detailers will go out and hack up a high dollar car leaving the client with a very bad experience. Word of mouth travels fast and it gives detailers in general a bad name when things like this happens....a certain Lambo just came to mind.

EDIT: I do welcome and encourage people to learn detailing and even do it for money if they want. I just want people to know thier abilities so that they don`t get in over their head on a job.

Just my $.02
    Rasky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LikeaRock View Post
    I haven`t seen many that come and go around here, but I agree 100% with what Gearhead said...

When I started doing this on my own, I had the thought that everybody knew I did detailing and it`d just come my way. WRONG! I had a good first few weeks because I had told a lot of people I knew that I was detailing on my own. Ever since it`s always been up and down, I have a few weeks when I`m really busy and then it can level off. Everything I`ve dealt with made me realize how difficult it can be to make a name for yourself.

I`ve been detailing for myself for nearly 3 years now, and I can say I`ve definitely built up a good client base and have some good connections, but I`ve got a long ways to go...
    AMEN, Donn`t we all

Thread Information