Post Thanks / Like

Misleading / funny ads

Was handed a flyer from a local "detailer" here in SoCal.. (hope he`s not here!)

The flyer says (in part)..
    "I do not use electric buffers so you will never see streaks or swirl marks in your paint. All work is done by hand".

!!!!!!!
    I just can`t imaging NOT using some kind of buffer!
    Thoughts?

And another from another flyer (not the same company), under the "exterior detail":

"Oxidation removal using clay bar"

And..

"Vacuum & Extract Carpeting"

Are they going to remove the carpet from the car?
    That`s how I see it. And everyone can throw away their rotary`s and PC`s....all you need for oxidation is a Clay Bar!!

I thought they were funny,,,,Maybe it`s just my sense of humor.
    Mark S.

"You may now return your stewardess to her original upright position"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Misleading / funny ads

Just found another one. I have been doing research to discover what other detailers are doing to promote and advertise their business. Unfortunately people like this (in PA), make all of us look like idiots:

"I detail cars, truck, suv`s, vans u name it i clean it. I detail cheaper than alot of places. its 75.00 for any car or small truck and for big trucks and suvs 90.
    I hand wash all vehicles, claybar the entire car for an extreamly smooth and shinny finish. then i hand wax the entire car then spray wax the vehicle. i then clean windows and polish wheels and spray shine the tires. then the interior, i start by using a spray cleaner to clean the dash, cup holers, wipe everything down then i vacume the vehicle and start the scrubbing any stains or dirt in the carpets and seats and floor mats. then i armor all everything and clean the windows and if you have leather seats i condition the seats. call xxxxxxxx at xxx-xxx-xxxx for any question or to setup your appointment. "

Notice your car will be "shinny" after he`s done, and that he cleans the cup "holers". lol.
    Mark S.

Post Thanks / Like

I see this stuff all of the time. Its just too bad any illiterate punk with a microfiber and some Armor All can call himself a detailer and create a bad name for real professionals.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

these are tough times ... even Walmart is laying off help and they have to do something
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbug1 View Post
    Was handed a flyer from a local "detailer" here in SoCal.. (hope he`s not here!)

The flyer says (in part)..
    "I do not use electric buffers so you will never see streaks or swirl marks in your paint. All work is done by hand".

!!!!!!!
    I just can`t imaging NOT using some kind of buffer!
    Thoughts?

And another from another flyer (not the same company), under the "exterior detail":

"Oxidation removal using clay bar"

And..

"Vacuum & Extract Carpeting"

Are they going to remove the carpet from the car?
    That`s how I see it. And everyone can throw away their rotary`s and PC`s....all you need for oxidation is a Clay Bar!!

I thought they were funny,,,,Maybe it`s just my sense of humor.
    here is a biz. card a customer gave me that someone left on his ride.(Reginald`s stay clean mobile detailing) his slogan states tha following . quote..."When it`s finished. It`s stay clean"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    these are tough times ... even Walmart is laying off help and they have to do something
    Maybe WallyWorld gives out there recently laid off employee`s tha following: For your severance package you may take a trip down the auto isle and get as many products that can fit in wash bucket Good Luck... Happy Easter to all...

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here`s one for you from craigslist:
    TRUTH about AUTO DETAILING

I picked up a card the other day that advertised auto detailing. On the card it said "Oder Removal".

Also found another card where the guy said he removes "SUNLIGHT SCRATCHES"
    HAHAHA
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Here`s one for you from craigslist:
    TRUTH about AUTO DETAILING

I picked up a card the other day that advertised auto detailing. On the card it said "Oder Removal".

Also found another card where the guy said he removes "SUNLIGHT SCRATCHES"
    HAHAHA
    That`s your post on Craigs list isn`t it Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of advantage to advertising through Craigslist, but it has to be done right. That is why I use the HTML ads that I use. Like that post says, anyone with a jar of wax and a wash bucket can run around calling himself a detailer, but there is an art to it that most people totally miss. Personally I don`t care if an artist is insured, licensed, or otherwise "official" as long as they produce quality art. I`ve hired several photographers in my day who are simply enthusiast photo buffs with a great eye and a skill for the art of photography. That is all I really require. However, if I think I`m hiring a professional and he shows up with a cell phone camera and a couple props he found in his mom`s basement, then that is another story. lol That is pretty much what you get these days with most of the "detailers" advertising on Craigslist. I`ve tried to tell this to the detailers I train. I even wrote up a little article on my blog about it. You have to put pictures of your before/after work so people know what you are all about. Running your own business requires more than the grunt work of actually doing the job. You have to be marketing/advertising director, accounting manager, and sales manager. A hundred and twenty words on a free classified ad is a start, I guess, but it isn`t going to get anybody very far. lol The best part about them is that they make my ads look REALLY good. You gotta love it when the `competition` looks that bad. My business actually increases when guys like that show up when I`m advertising.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent an email to the person from the top post, who said he does not use an electric buffer. I wanted to know why, and then how he would correct any paint problems without one. I used my old black Saturn as an example, and told him that it had not been done in almost 2 years, since I moved to CA from PA.

his reply: "It can be done without a buffer. People in California do not want the swirl marks left by a buffer. (BOLD is my emphasis, not his).

So,
    1), electric buffers leave swirl marks, and
    2). If you live outside of CA, swirl marks are OK! lol
    Mark S.

Post Thanks / Like

My competition=Jerrycleanbright.com

Post Thanks / Like

Should have asked for some before and after, but then he would have just pulled some pics from someones website

Thread Information