Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning inner wheel barrels

Posted here, there & everywhere....

What we have here are OEM coated, cast aluminum wheels from a 2004 GMC Sierra. They`ve seen 60k+ and 5 Ohio winters without ever getting a really thorough cleaning inside and out.

The outer wheels are in pretty decent shape with just a few defects in the coating where wheel weights have been attached. They clean up well and take a shine, they`re rarely left very cruddy for long periods. The inner barrels are a different story though.

Believe me, the pics are AFTER cleaning attempts! They were pitch black before!

My primary goal is to clean these up as well as possible and apply sealant and do `em once a year every Spring. The visible portions through the holes in the front detract a bit from the overall appearance.

In attempting to clean the inner barrel I first tried a generous dose of P21S Gel and let it dwell for an hour. I then scrubbed the surface crud with a wheel brush getting close to the results shown. Thinking I needed something considerably stouter I applied Purple Power APC full strength and let it dwell taking care that I didn`t get any of this nasty stuff on the front of the wheels. Not much improvement.

I then attempted a few other things in spots..... of everything I tried a Brillo pad produced the most favorable result with a TON of scrubbing. I also gave a PowerBall a whirl with Wenol red, Meg`s Mag & Aluminum Polish and other lesser products with the best results appearing near the openings where exterior cleaning may have kept them from getting as bad as the rest of the barrel. At this rate using the products and methods I`ve attempted thus far I might get some decent results if I kept at it for a week or so........ per wheel, probably! There`s gotta be a better way....

I`d appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions that might lead to some improvement. I don`t expect perfection after 5 years of neglect but I`d like to improve the appearance, at least what`s visible from the outside of the wheel.

Thanks in advance...... TL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning inner wheel barrels

Tar remover? Gasoline? Turpintine? Goo-gone? Dynamite? I don`t know maybe they are pitted? Anybody else wanna take a stab at it?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure these rims are not etched?

I`ve seen some pitting on rims like that over time...if not then

You might want to try a acid based cleaner...I would start with mixing that with water 50/50...make 110% sure that you do not get that on the outside part of the wheel...acid cleaner are very strong and can etch or stain the clear coat...most of the time that can be corrected just easier to be careful in the application process.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got pretty aggressive. So when you polish, are you getting any black coming off?

Here`s how I would attack it. I would start with an acid like - Four Star Professional Aluminum and Chrome Cleaner Keep the surface wet and make sure you coat thoroughly for about a minute and rinse thoroughly. This will clean out any brake dust from the pits of the wheel. Then follow up with some Meguiars`s 105 or similar polishing compound either by hand or with a buffing ball like this one Flitz Super 3" Mini Buff Ball

If you are getting black then there probably is no clear. In that case a good metal polish instead of the 105 would probably be best.

Lastly, I would put a good sealant on them to keep it from happening again.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used Spray & Rinse on race wheels that were much worse and with a little time and aggitation they came out perfectly clean ..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I`ve used Spray & Rinse on race wheels that were much worse and with a little time and aggitation they came out perfectly clean ..
    Agitation of the wheel or you?

Thread Information