Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just outta curiosity?

Hi everyone! How`s everyone doing? I Gotta question for all you guys that are detailing for a living? With the economy the way it is. Has business slowed down for you guys at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just outta curiosity?

85% of my clientle get ther cars done once a month. however probaly 25% of the85% have cut back to every 6 weeks to 2 months. I have alot of wealthy clients who have lost alot of money. I beleive people are just in freak-out mode.People w/regular jobs are all waitin on pink slips. It is very depressing.So far this year my biz grotwh rate is flat. but, I`m very greatfull for that.I have been in biz(full time) since 1981 I have seen about 5or6 recessions. but none like this where it is a global recession. Recession is when your neighbor loses his job,depression is when you lose yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Down here is the same. The oilfield industry is really big and it really slowed down. Luckily I`m working everyday. I was very fortunate to land a contract doing law enforcement vehicles for a couple of nearby towns. I also have a contract for 4 cessna 172`s that require dry washing regularly. I consider myself very very lucky that i`m working on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjr View Post
    Down here is the same. The oilfield industry is really big and it really slowed down. Luckily I`m working everyday. I was very fortunate to land a contract doing law enforcement vehicles for a couple of nearby towns. I also have a contract for 4 cessna 172`s that require dry washing regularly. I consider myself very very lucky that i`m working on a daily basis.
    From what I here Texas has the srongest economy in the nation.I also have noticed oil consumption is down. Unemployment=no driving/no buying I hope this all goes away soon. scram,beat it recession. we are all tired of you now. WOW you do cop cars? awesome do you get to drive them? I have a cust in charge of the burlington/northern police(railroad) he gets his police jeep done twice a year (its always filthy) I get to pickup/deleiver so I can play with all the radios,lights&sirens when I get home with it.In Memphis they have the convicts do tha detailing(I would like to see there technique)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
    Recession is when your neighbor loses his job,depression is when you lose yours.
    Exactly!
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
    From what I here Texas has the srongest economy in the nation.I also have noticed oil consumption is down. Unemployment=no driving/no buying I hope this all goes away soon. scram,beat it recession. we are all tired of you now. WOW you do cop cars? awesome do you get to drive them? I have a cust in charge of the burlington/northern police(railroad) he gets his police jeep done twice a year (its always filthy) I get to pickup/deleiver so I can play with all the radios,lights&sirens when I get home with it.In Memphis they have the convicts do tha detailing(I would like to see there technique)
    Lol Yeah the vehicles belong to a federal agency. I got roughly 153 patrol units and 33 k-9 units between 2 towns each unit is authorizied for washing once a month. I am trying to land the contract for a 3rd nearby town. I hope I get it. That would add 63 more vehicles.Aside from them I do heavy equipment degreasing and pressure washing plus truck washing. I tried doing pro detailing for a while and loved it,but alotta guys do it plus I found some people dont like paying once the work is done so I decided to specialize in fleet vehicles the works easier more constant and you dont get stiffed lol .Personally I enjoy working on aircraft alot more thats my specialty,but gotta go where the work is.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjr View Post
    Personally I enjoy working on aircraft alot more thats my specialty,but gotta go where the work is.
    I hear that. Fleet work definitely has it`s pluses and minuses. I`d rather do that for steady work than take on dealer work especially with how shaky they are these days.

As far as planes go, more power to you. Please post pics when you do them. We all would be very interested to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

My steady customers have slowed down some...so what I did was adjusted my prices down to make it more palatable to their budget...I also have told them so and why I am doing this, everyone has liked the idea and stayed steady...when things take back off I can readjust again...it keeps a steady follow of cash coming in...its not as much as I want but its better than nothing, or having there cars three or four times a year vs maybe once.....I`ve cut some processes to save some time..my customers know me very well and trust that what a deliver is top quality, that`s why they come back!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    My steady customers have slowed down some...so what I did was adjusted my prices down to make it more palatable to their budget...I also have told them so and why I am doing this, everyone has liked the idea and stayed steady...when things take back off I can readjust again...it keeps a steady follow of cash coming in...its not as much as I want but its better than nothing, or having there cars three or four times a year vs maybe once.....I`ve cut some processes to save some time..my customers know me very well and trust that what a deliver is top quality, that`s why they come back!
    All it takes is a little deodorant or a breath mint dave.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post

so what`s wrong with a little tuna breath
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    so what`s wrong with a little tuna breath
    Both of you should be in bed at this point...

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Both of you should be in bed at this point...
    true
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    true
    I`ll call you in the AM Steve...need to get my spring order in...cha-ching!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that. Fleet work definitely has it`s pluses and minuses. I`d rather do that for steady work than take on dealer work especially with how shaky they are these days.

As far as planes go, more power to you. Please post pics when you do them. We all would be very interested to see them.
    I had the local M/B dealers account from 1983-1989 did around 100-125 cars a month for them @125ea. changed owners and before I new what had happened they realized how much I was making and cut me out (in house) I was young and it was tramatic. 3 things happened @ that point in life 1) I will neeevver put all my eggs in one basket. 2) I had met alot of M/B owners over that 6 years, they became my clients not all but alot. and number 3) still makes me smile. The very first car the dealer did 4 themselves tha guy drove it thru the car wash bay concrete wall KARMA It wasn`t so much they cut me off, it was the way they did it. 6years w/1/2 dozen minor complaints and than 1 day they said we will no longer need your services.........OUCH.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information