Post Thanks / Like

touch up the chips on bonnet before or not?

Hey..

I`m just about to do a full detail on my Honda Integra Vti-r .. just getting the products in the mail this week.

Anyway, the car is 95 - so there are a few paint chips in the bonnet (but the overall condition of the paint is excellent). I got a bottle of touch up paint a few weeks ago .. colour matches fine.

I thought about touching up the chips (maybe about 10) - they all small white circles on the bonnet (white - the primer)..

I`ve got that Mothers chip repair system system so I was gonna try that with the touch up paint - if I do it right, you shouldnt be able to notice where I touched it up right? Like, there wont be all these lighter or darker patches where I touched them will there? (after putting AIO..4*UPP etc..).

Also, I have a small dent just behind my drivers door .. some fool put a trolley into it by the looks of it... anyway, should I get that fixed BEFORE applying the 4*UPP etc etc ... ?

Once I`ve put 4 or so layers of 4*, is there anyway to remove it say around that dent so I can fix it, then layer it back to the surrounding areas? or can you only do the whole car?

Thanks ... soz bout all the questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    The chips in your hood I`d leave you can try and touch up but what I have found is they seem to stick out more after. I`m not familar with the Mothers system you have so I`d at least try and see what you think.

The dent if you have the time and cash get it fixed, if not don`t worry about the UPP any body shop will take that off for you, when the work on the car.

If you do want to remove the UPP you can use polish or dish soap that will do the job.

Good Luck
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: touch up the chips on bonnet before or not?

Originally posted by aheyn
    I`ve got that Mothers chip repair system system so I was gonna try that with the touch up paint - if I do it right, you shouldnt be able to notice where I touched it up right? Like, there wont be all these lighter or darker patches where I touched them will there? (after putting AIO..4*UPP etc..).
    The Mother`s Touch up system is very likely the old Langka system.
    I have used both with mixed results. I do think you can do an almost invisible repair at times, but I don`t always achieve that result. Overall, I have been happy with it. One nice thing about it, if the result is not satisfactory, the leveling product can be used to completely remove the touch up paint you used. You can then try again. As with all good paint jobs, there is a talent required. So far, I don`t feel I have quite acquired that talent.

Charles

Thread Information