Post Thanks / Like

Cleaner/Polishing Wax Combo with Duragloss

I recently used Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax and followed it up with DG 106 followed by 105 (two coats). I have washed and few times and utilised the AW spray. I am happy with the results but looking for other combinations that will provide better results. This is on a 2008 Dodge - Black Pearl paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaner/Polishing Wax Combo with Duragloss

Prep is always the key, so what is your regimen prior to applying your LSP

What is it that you don`t like about it where you are looking for better.
    Are you looking for wetter, deeper, glossier, ect ... That will help in making product suggestions.

If you have any pics, that would really help as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You might could try using a carnauba paste wax as a "topper".
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have any good picures. Basically I washed and dried then applied the Mothers by hand and buffed off. Then applied the DG 106 let dry for about 30 min., applied the DG 106 over the top of the 105 let dry for about 30 min. and then buffed off. It is a very smooth finish and seems to be holding up well. I just thought that I could get some alternative recommendations that would provide an even better result. Maybe another combination of products leading up to the DG that would provide a higher gloss. I haven`t ever clayed the vehicle since it was so new, so not sure that would make a huge difference.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post
    I don`t have any good picures. Basically I washed and dried then applied the Mothers by hand and buffed off. Then applied the DG 106 let dry for about 30 min., applied the DG 106 over the top of the 105 let dry for about 30 min. and then buffed off. It is a very smooth finish and seems to be holding up well. I just thought that I could get some alternative recommendations that would provide an even better result. Maybe another combination of products leading up to the DG that would provide a higher gloss. I haven`t ever clayed the vehicle since it was so new, so not sure that would make a huge difference.
    I`m totally lost here.
    Do you mean #601 Polish Bonding agent or did you use #106? That`s not a DG product that I have any knowledge of.
    If you used #601, it would be applied before the #105 not over the top of it.
    Since I`m not sure of your procedure, I can only tell you what works good for me with the Duragloss line.
    1. #501, Duragloss Marine / RV Polish to clean and polish the paint. #501 is a very good cleaner/prep.
    2. #105, Duragloss TPP (Total Performance Polish) as the LSP.
    3. #951, Duragloss AW (Aquawax) can be applied after the #105 has cured. I usually wait at least until the next day, sometimes until the next wash.

I do have #601 and have used it, but I really don`t think it is needed after the #501. If you have it and want to use it, it probably isn`t going to hurt anything, but I`m not sure it`s going to be much help, either.

Charles

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying that you haven`t ever clayed the vehicle since it was new, or you haven`t ever clayed the vehicle? If the former, depending on the environmental issues maybe it needs to be clayed again and maybe not. If the latter, then it would very likely benefit from being clayed.

What are you attempting to acheive with the Mother`s cleaner wax, then another polish/sealant (#106 - DG`s terminology is a bit contorted), followed by another polish/sealant (#105) x2. It seems that you are just doing the same thing over and again. I`ve never done this so I don`t know what is to be gained by this process.

What do you think could be better?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

There`s nothing wrong with Mother`s Carnauba Cleaner Wax, but I don`t think I would use it as part of the Duragloss process you are doing.
    The Carnauba wax content probably isn`t being any help to the bonding of the #105.
    The #105 isn`t helping the Mother`s CCW.
    Wax over sealants works. Sealants over wax usually don`t work good. There are exceptions to that statement, though.

Give the Mother`s to a friend that wants an economical one step product.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m still not sure what is going on, but I did find #106 on the DG site.
    #106 is the part number for a gallon of #105.
    Now I`m more confused than before. (Nothing new for me.)

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    I`m still not sure what is going on, but I did find #106 on the DG site.
    #106 is the part number for a gallon of #105.
    Now I`m more confused than before. (Nothing new for me.)
    I went over to the DG site to try to see the difference between 105 and 106 sure enough that is what I found. Had me confused also, as I found a picture of a gallon with 106 on the label. Just another example of DG`s often times confusing labeling. So as you surmised above, it must be #601, the PBA (Polish Bonding Agent). Which really makes much more sense in regards to the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I went over to the DG site to try to see the difference between 105 and 106 sure enough that is what I found. Had me confused also, as I found a picture of a gallon with 106 on the label. Just another example of DG`s often times confusing labeling. So as you surmised above, it must be #601, the PBA (Polish Bonding Agent). Which really makes much more sense in regards to the process.
    Yep, for some reason they add a digit to the gallon sizes. Their soap is 901, but in the gallon size, they call it 902.

I think he is talking about 601 as Charles mentioned.

I`m with jay. To see a big difference in the appearance, you will have to do more prep work before applying your protection.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - I totally botched up the numbers I must be dyslexic. I meant to say DG 601 Bonding Agent followed up with the DG 105 LSP. I think I will purchase the DG 501 and use that in place of the Mothers. I do have the DG 951 AW that I will continue to use as well. Sorry for the confusing post but thanks for the advice!!

Also I have never clayed my new vehicle, which I bought in December 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

...Also I have never clayed my new vehicle, which I bought in December 2008.
    I`m fairly certain (90%+) that it would be a beneficial step to include during your next cleaning session. Try the old baggie over the hand trick next time you wash and see if you don`t notice the roughness of the paint surface.

Maybe check to see if there aren`t some areas that need some correction and thus benefit from a dedicated polish. And then go back to your DG regimen. Black is a tough, but very rewarding color.

Thread Information