Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The problem with other detailing sites

It`s sort of a given that a site ran or sponsored by a particular brand (or set of brands) will have a lot of discussion regarding those brands. Meguiar`s, Mother`s, Detailer`s Club are or were all examples of product-centric sites. Not that other products don`t get play, just that they don`t get talked about as much as other places. I can understand that.

And we still need more "I can pee farther than you" threads here. (J/K)
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I think every forum has their favorites based upon the people that tend to post. It probably is no coincidence that people with common product preferences may hang out together.

At Detail City, Poorboys is one of the favorites and you do not see the same discussion about products like Duragloss, Collinite, ChemiGuys, etc. as with some other forums. They have found other places to hang out.

I think any product discussion should be allowed but bashing products should be minimized to reduce the personal accusations that often occur when people strongly disagree about good vs bad products.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I think every forum has their favorites based upon the people that tend to post. It probably is no coincidence that people with common product preferences may hang out together.

I agree, but does it not also depend on the sponsors of each site and the availability to talk to people who actually work for the company? ie Mike Philips on MOL,
    Forest on Mother`s, Meghan, Dwayne etc from AG, me etc ....
    Birds of a feather often fly together but they don`t all sit on the same branch
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking Steve`s point a bit further. When you talk to Mike, Forrest, or Steve(P you are going to be one step less removed from the immediate source of information for those specific product lines. That is always a good thing as these people can explain completely the intended use for the product (why it was developed) as well as directions for use and troubleshooting any usage issues. This is obviously a valuable resource for newbies as well as veterans dealing with new products.

Troy carries a wide variety of products (a good thing), but I don`t know how much time he has to devote towards product testing. As a pro-detailer (here comes the assumption) he probably has products that are his "go-to" because "time is money". He is also a full-time forum owner/operator, Dad and husband; leaving only his "spare time" to experiment on his personal vehicles. And as many of us know, "learning" new products is time consuming.

AG`s product line is immense, and ever growing (another good thing). So much so that I doubt that there is anyone over there that can speak with extensive first hand knowledge about their entire line.

In closing, Troy runs a very nice forum. The "feel" of the City has benefitted from his direction. I know I spend more time here.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of various detail sites

For me, the various sites have a different atmosphere.
    All have lots of good information.
    The administrator or owner kind of sets the tone, but it is ultimately the people that post that truly make a site what it is.
    Being able to discuss and even disagree without resorting to name calling and threats goes a long way towards making a site feel comfortable to the users.
    Detail City is one of several that have that comfort zone.
    New members join, old members drift away.
    As the people change, the fourms change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Charles

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

CharlesW, I agree that the members make the forum, since by sheer numbers they will have the majority of the posts (although looking at your post count you`re doing your part ) but I think that specifically here at DC Troy and the current mod team has intentionally or unintentionally set a favorable "tone/atmosphere". (You can take that as a compliment )

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough just before clicking on here this morning I recommended this site to a new detailer in my area as the most helpful of all. The atmosphere is more homey and folks are more willing to help not just brag. I`m sure once he looks it over he will register due to the top leadership and good people here.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are too kind.

In regards to having first hand knowledge of all the products I sell, you are right. I have not used them all and I do have my go tos when I am detailing customer`s cars. That`s why it took me so long to try the Meguiar`s 105 and even the FLEX.

I learn about some of these products right along with you guys and only after I hear some praise do I try it for myself. If someone asks me about a product that I haven`t tried I draw on what you guys have said about the product.

A question I get a lot is: "What about product X?"

If I haven`t tried the particular product they are asking about then my answer is "You know I haven`t had a chance to get familiar with that product yet but it is very popular among our forum members and here are some things they say about it..."

So see I rely on you guys as much as you rely on me for advice sometimes.

I offer more brands than I really would like to but I do it to try and have what you guys want. I doubt I will ever be super knowledgeable about every brand but you can be sure the products I do recommend I will be a believer in.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get tired of the sites that only talk about the $700 waxes, and the $80 (16oz) tire dressings, and the glass cleaner that costs $22 for 250 mL (8.45 ounces)

Who the hell can afford to buy that and actually make money? Seriously? I know I refuse to even accept a sample of that overpriced crap. Process baby... not product.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    I get tired of the sites that only talk about the $700 waxes, and the $80 (16oz) tire dressings, and the glass cleaner that costs $22 for 250 mL (8.45 ounces)

Who the hell can afford to buy that and actually make money? Seriously? I know I refuse to even accept a sample of that overpriced crap. Process baby... not product.

+2 you go Tex

I think alot of people spend waaaayy to much time on a Daily Driver and then grossly overexagerate on what they got paid.Just so they can post some pics and get an atta boy green dots.

Basically all I deal with are Multi-Millionaires and I know they would give me this> if I told them:Oh yea this time your bill is $800-$1,200 and on top of that I didn`t even touch the Interior

If you really beleieve people are lined out tha door waitin on these $1,000 exterior only details, I highly suggest you put that pipe away pronto

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You would be surprised Flash. It really depends on demographics. They are out there I promise you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    You would be surprised Flash. It really depends on demographics. They are out there I promise you.
    Maybe your right(I really hope you are 4 my sake)

Memphis has always been 10 years behind the 8-ball so maybe by tha time i`m 55 we will have caught up

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not real familiar with other sites

I have only been on a computer since February 09

I am so use to dealing with Cut-Throats & Back Stabbers(local guys,thats how they roll here)That when I stumbled upon this site, it was a breath of fresh air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information