Post Thanks / Like

I Need Some Information Please!

Hi,

I just purchased an 2004 GMC Denali and I have a few questions as to keeping it clean.

Here is what I am using:

I use Zymol wash... (I have allready washed it 3x =)
    I mix one gal. w/ one cap Zymol and use a hand mit to wash.

I use a brush w/ the old wash to clean the wheels.

I have allready polished and waxed w/ Meguires products.

Questions...
    1. How often should I wax/polish?
    2. Should I stick to doing it all by hand?
    3. What should I use on the interior?
    4. What should I use to polish the wheels? (They are polished Allum.)
    5. Where can I get a good blower to dry it with?
    6. What other processes should I use to detail it?
    7. What should I clean the tires with?
    8. I is it ok to dry it w/ a Chammy or Towel? I`ve herd this may scratch the paint.
    9. What should I clean the glass with?

And any other information that would be helpful for keeping it clean and protecting the paint would be great!!!

Thanks guys.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    James,

Answer: Use the products which produce a result you like and are likely to use more often.

Now for the not so easy-off answers:

These are some general opinions, as there are several products for each.
    1) Depends, what is the driving environment, does it stay in a garage? What color is the vehicle. If you use a good quality sealant and your Denali is well kept, you can probably go as low as 4 weeks and as high as 12, you mileage may vary depending on product used. I use UPP and was every 12 weeks with no significant loss in appearance (black lexus, garaged)

2) Do it by hand as long as you are happy with the results. With a new vehicle and a well cared for finish, you should be able to avoid the machines for some time. If you end up with a lot of oxidation or water spots, you may not be able to achieve the results you want by hand. My recommendation is to stick to doing it by hand for now.

3) Interior - well there are many different products for different surfaces. Leather - platinum leather cleaner and the conditioner, for the dash and othe palstic surfaces, use a little warm water and a microfiber. If you have to remove some "stuff" I would recommend Meguiars APC+ very diluted or my personal preference Four Star White Lightning (can use it for upholstery, diluted for most surfaces, and the carpets.

4) I use Wenol polish, works well. Then protect with your favorite selant.

5) I dry with the Waffle Weave Drying towel, workes well.

6) For now a polish and sealant should get you by, but in the future you will want to have some clay and a few slightly stronger polishes/ swirl mark removers. With all this washing, you will get some marks, GM paint is good, but not the best. Buy lots of micro-fibers! Single best thing for my detailing improvement.

7) I use SImple Green or White Lightning, let it dwell, rinse and then wash with a brush and suds.

8) Yes and no. DEpends on the quality and the procedure. I have had very good luck with the Waffle Weave as mentioned above.

9) I use Stoners Invisible Glass (you can get it as Wal-Mart) and two micro-fibers. Use one for cleaning, then the other for drying. You will not get streaks with this method and a little attention to detail.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

PS ... all the above mentioned items can be purchased from the sponser, Dwayne will hook you up just fine.
    ------------------------------------------
    Matt - A part timer!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt,

Thanks for the reply!

Here`s more info on the vehicle.

2004 ONYX BLACK GMC Yukon Denali

And yes, it defaintly is Garaged! I have yet to park this thing in a parking lot...

When you say MicroFiber towels... You`re talking about the ones they have at AutoZone or Wallmart?

Thanks again

James.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MFs from Autozone and Walmart are of average quality. Better MFs can be purchased at premiumautocare or Poorboys.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven`t clayed yet I highly recommend doing that prior to your next wax/ selant app. you will see and feel an amazing difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by andriver
    The MFs from Autozone and Walmart are of average quality. Better MFs can be purchased at premiumautocare or Poorboys.
    Definitely invest in some good quality mf towels. I have the ones from Walmart as well as others. The ones from Walmart are good for things like the interior, door jambs, etc. but I wouldn`t recommend using them on the paint. I`ve also had bad experiences with them when trying to use them on windows. There is truly a night and day difference.....this is a case where you get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EP3
    Definitely invest in some good quality mf towels. I have the ones from Walmart as well as others. The ones from Walmart are good for things like the interior, door jambs, etc. but I wouldn`t recommend using them on the paint. I`ve also had bad experiences with them when trying to use them on windows. There is truly a night and day difference.....this is a case where you get what you pay for.
    Where is a good place to get high quality towels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good towels are available at several places on line. I like www.poorboysworld.com and/or www.pakshak.com You`ll get excellent service and helpful advice from either place. Email them and tell them you post here and you may get a discount. Good guys w/good products who give great service. So does Dwayne at Detail City!
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information