The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Cold weather detailing?

Just some random thoughts about cold weather detailing.

Anything above freezing allows a bucket wash, but it sure isn`t enjoyable. I no longer do it.

From 32 degrees to 40 is very marginal for the performance of most of the products I use. I seldom try to do anything but the interior when it`s below 40 degrees.

40 to 50 degrees seems to let most products work, but not always at their best. Smearing, streaking, long dry times are the most common problems I have.

50 degrees seems to be the turning point. Everything seems to work fairly good and the streaking, smearing, long dry times are greatly reduced. I can at least get the vehicles taken care of.

60 degrees is when it gets back to normal. Products work like they are supposed to and I`m comfortable.

Some of what I do to work under those conditions.

Do everything in the garage and heat the garage to the 60 degree temperature.

Wear rubber gloves when washing. Dry hands are much more comfortable in cold weather.

Use warm water for washing. Not only is it more comfortable, it seems to do a better job of cleaning.

My products are in the basement for the winter so they are always warm when I go to use them.

Vacuum and clean the interior while you are waiting for the garage to warm up.

If the vehicles are really dirty, I go to either a DIY spray wash or a touchless drive-thru to get some of the crud off.

My winter washing is done with Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, DP`s 4 in 1 or Optimum No Rinse. Water on the floor is not a problem. Once you develop a method, there is very little. None with the S&W.

I do try to keep the vehicles cleaned up and washing is not a big problem. My kerosene heater will raise the temperature in my garage about 20 to 25 degrees with 10 to 15 minutes of run time. A 20 degree day lets me work in the garage quite comfortably. If we get a break in the weather and have a day in the 40`s or 50`s, I take that opportunity to throw on another coat of LSP.
    I also use Dura Gloss Aqua Wax as part of my rinseless wash routine and I think that helps a lot.

I hope this long drawn out post make you as bored as I am.

In case you haven`t guessed, it`s 43 degrees and raining and I don`t really have much interest in going anywhere.
    Sure glad I can access DC again.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cold weather detailing?

wow that was a lot of reading Charles but good info
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad that it doesn`t get that cold here...other wise I would`ve had to read that.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I`m glad that it doesn`t get that cold here...other wise I would`ve had to read that.
    I`ll have Pockets read it later and thankfully I have a large heated garage here as well as a Pockets
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I close my business at the end of October and reserve that month only for repeat business. No new business after September for me. Only for my repeat customers am I willing to freeze my fingers washing their car in 50 degree weather. I charge $10 per hour more for each degree below 50 that someone wants me to come out and detail in. You just don`t get a whole lot done when your clay is frozen, your polishes won`t break down, and your cars won`t dry. It makes very little sense to try and detail when the weather just doesn`t allow your products to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good tips there Charles! I am not looking forward to winter at all.
    Scott

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I feel like it anything 40 or above I don`t hesitate to wash,glaze,seal,wax. However I do use warm water to wash the car/s.I`ve never had a problem at this temperature.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problems washing in the garage when its 50 to 55 F in the garage if I use warm water. That seems to be the big difference to me.

It is not the temp it as much as it is the wind and cool water that make it work in a garage at lower temps. Inside at 50 is better than outside at 60 especially if there is wind blowing.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

This is just an idea that might help those who still detail in the winter. I ran across this heater: DeLonghi DUH400 1500-Watt Utility Heater : DUH400 - Buy.com. I might get one myself; especially when I don`t have a heated garage. Also, the price is pretty good; $18.50 compare to $29 at Amazon.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pho_Tai View Post
    This is just an idea that might help those who still detail in the winter. I ran across this heater: DeLonghi DUH400 1500-Watt Utility Heater : DUH400 - Buy.com. I might get one myself; especially when I don`t have a heated garage. Also, the price is pretty good; $18.50 compare to $29 at Amazon.
    Not knowing your circumstances, a 1500 Watt heater may help, but to put things into perspective;
    The 1500 Watt heater will put out in the neighborhood of 5,118 BTUs of heat. The kerosene heater I use puts out 90,000 BTUs.
    Here`s a link to some information on how much area a 5118 BTU heater will heat.
    WikiAnswers - How much area will 5118 btu cover

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Not knowing your circumstances, a 1500 Watt heater may help, but to put things into perspective;
    The 1500 Watt heater will put out in the neighborhood of 5,118 BTUs of heat. The kerosene heater I use puts out 90,000 BTUs.
    I was thinking the same thing...I`ve not had many issues with cold weather detailing...but to heat a garage you need some serious BTU`s
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tips Charles!

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Thanks Charles for adding your comments. I guess I should have phrased my original post for amatuer/beginner detailers like myself. I forgot that you and many others have been doing this for years. Since the small heater is only capable of heating a very small area, my intention was to direct the heat to lets say the driver side door and work on that section. Move the heater to the next section and then continue. etc... Also, I am on a limited budget and have very little time(my wife and 1.5 yr old daughter pretty much takes up all my time). I mainly perform quick details than full details.
    Last edited by Pho_Tai; 11-13-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added more comments

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pho_Tai View Post
    Thanks Charles for adding your comments. I guess I should have phrased my original post for amatuer/beginner detailers like myself. I forgot that you and many others have been doing this for years. Since the small heater is only capable of heating a very small area, my intention was to direct the heat to lets say the driver side door and work on that section. Move the heater to the next section and then continue. etc...
    There was certainly nothing wrong with your information and I hope I didn`t give that impression.
    The main thing I wanted to point out was that those heaters are very limited in what they can do.
    Chances are you can do the section at a time procedure like you listed and you might even raise the overall temperature in your garage to a more tolerable level.
    What it really comes down to is whatever works for you. My heating system is very crude, but it works for me.

Charles

Thread Information