Post Thanks / Like

Getting a job at a dealership?

I was wondering what it took to get a detailing job at a dealership. Do they hire their own detailers or sub it out to another company? Do you have to have a lot of experience detailing before they hire you, or would they train you? Does this all depend on the dealership/company? I was just hoping to hear back from some people that have/are been employed as a detailer. Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting a job at a dealership?

i think the only requirement is you do a crappy job at detailing

Post Thanks / Like

They`ll train you but what you learn is of questionable value. You will not learn the finer things of detailing. You will learn how to grind out cars in little time using the wrong tools and products for the job. I`m sure that there are exceptions to what I`m saying but there is a reason so many people ask to not have their car detailed while it`s at the dealer ship. I`ve seen cases that were down right frightening.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Empire01 View Post
    I was wondering what it took to get a detailing job at a dealership. Do they hire their own detailers or sub it out to another company? Do you have to have a lot of experience detailing before they hire you, or would they train you? Does this all depend on the dealership/company? I was just hoping to hear back from some people that have/are been employed as a detailer. Thanks a lot!
    Every dealership is different...most all will have a detail shop to handle a limited amount of cars..for the bulk of the cars they turn it can be outsourced...Is this a good place to learn...IMO yes its a great place to get your feet wet learning the detail biz...they are always busy so there is plenty to practice on...if your just trying to get some buffer experience this could be a good place to start
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    They`ll train you but what you learn is of questionable value. You will not learn the finer things of detailing. You will learn how to grind out cars in little time using the wrong tools and products for the job. I`m sure that there are exceptions to what I`m saying but there is a reason so many people ask to not have their car detailed while it`s at the dealer ship. I`ve seen cases that were down right frightening.
    I know what you mean, My Dad and I were looking into buying a new truck.. we went to a used car place, and they had a taco that had just been detailed. I am an amateur and my truck looked 100x`s better than the taco.. They left cleaner all over the dash and bed liner, there were still stains and crumbs that could have been easily taken out IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Every dealership is different...most all will have a detail shop to handle a limited amount of cars..for the bulk of the cars they turn it can be outsourced...Is this a good place to learn...IMO yes its a great place to get your feet wet learning the detail biz...they are always busy so there is plenty to practice on...if your just trying to get some buffer experience this could be a good place to start
    This is what I was going for, I`m only 17 and new to detailing. I really enjoy detailing my truck, I`ll spend all day out there finding new stuff to clean. I was just looking for something to give me a little experience, then maybe I could go out on my own.

Thanks for the replies guys!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Que es un Taco? What is a Taco?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Que es un Taco? What is a Taco?
    Toyota Tacoma

Post Thanks / Like

One thing about it you could learn how not to burn a paint job and it would be on someone else`s dime.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    One thing about it you could learn how not to burn a paint job and it would be on someone else`s dime.

Thread Information