The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet/Upholstery cleaner?

Meguiar`s APC+ has been my "do it all" product for carpet and upholstery for quite some time. For me, it seems to fall into the same category as Klasse AIO for paint.
    Recently I have read several posts touting various othe products and would kind of like to know what some of the advantages might be in trying them.
    The APC+ diluted 10:1 seems to do everything I ask of it and do it well. It has fabric brighteners and softeners in it, so I feel comfortable with it on upholstery and carpet. No dirtier than my vehicles get between cleaning, the 10:1 ratio seems to get things cleaned up fine.
    A $10 gallon of APC+ gives me 10 gallons of solution. One heck of a good price, as well.
    Anyone know of any problems with the stuff?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I am dying to try some APC+, but we can`t get it in Canada, and I haven`t got around to ordering anything online for a while because I am overstocked (so says my wife!)

Anyway, how does APC+ smell? And does it linger?

Someone on Autopia turned me onto Folex, but it`s not nearly as economical as APC+. It`s about $22 (US) a gallon up here, and you have to use it undiluted.

It works great on carpet stains though. A coffee stain that was at least 5 years old iin my car (I got it used) came out, and a 4 year old red wine stain that I have tried in vain for years to get out with all kinds of product came out in my living room.

It also smells ok, like a mild bath soap, and is easy on the skin (I apply without gloves). The smell disappears really fast too.

The only complaint I have is that it cleans too well. On my light coloured carpet in my house, everywhere that I have used Folex is a lighter coloured spot! :doh

Post Thanks / Like
    I love apc+, but since I discovered a product I purchase locally called k-50, I have not looked back. You mix it 1/32 and it costs $8 a gallon. I have used it to remove paint, blood, lipstick, milk, coffee, coke, grease, tanning lotion(don`t ask), ink, and some others things I can`t think of. I use it on vinyl, leather, wood, kitchen counters, showers, basically it will clean anything.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2wheelsx2
    1. Anyway, how does APC+ smell? And does it linger?

2.The only complaint I have is that it cleans too well. On my light coloured carpet in my house, everywhere that I have used Folex is a lighter coloured spot! :doh
    1. Doesn`t smell too great, but the smell doesn`t last long.

2. Do you think it cleaned the carpet that well or possibly took some of the color/dye out?

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    EBP:
    One of the things that keeps me interested in the APC+ is the fact it is supposed to have fabric brighteners and softeners in it. This is supposed to be important when a product is used on upholstery and carpet. I dunno, but it sounded good to me.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I been useing APC+ on carpets with different ratios of dilution and it has been nothing but great the smell is pretty good it smells fresh. I didnt notice any fabric color changes or anything it works well.

APC+= :band
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    EBP:
    One of the things that keeps me interested in the APC+ is the fact it is supposed to have fabric brighteners and softeners in it. This is supposed to be important when a product is used on upholstery and carpet. I dunno, but it sounded good to me.
    Yea, I agree, that was one of the main reasons I initially purchased APC+. I don`t know if what I am using has "brighteners" in it or not, but at $8 a gallon and 32/1 I can`t pass it up. So far I cannot tell a diiference betwen the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got APC+ for the first time yesterday. I have a really dumb question, is the ratio 10 parts water to 1 part apc? I want to use it as a degreaser as well.

I really wish I had Folex around here. Heard a lot of great suff about it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D
    I just got APC+ for the first time yesterday. I have a really dumb question, is the ratio 10 parts water to 1 part apc? I want to use it as a degreaser as well.

Bill:
    Sounds like a pretty legitimate question to me.
    APC+ is used at many dilution ratios. The proposed use dictates the mixture strength.
    As in the case with most all chemicals, follow the instructions that came with it.
    I think for use as a degreaser, a ratio closer to 4:1 is recommended.
    The 10 parts water to 1 part APC+ that I use seems to do the jpb for about anything I`m using it for. Most of my cleaning is not a major project. Doing my own cars means I do it often enough to not need strong cleaners.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    2. Do you think it cleaned the carpet that well or possibly took some of the color/dye out?
    Yeah, it`s definitely the carpet. The method I use is to spray on Folex, and then scrub with a brush or my finger, depending on how big the stain is. Then blot out the stain with a white cotton terry towel. The colour which comes out is always the colour of the stain plus some grey, which assume is ground in dirt, as my carpet is a light beige/creme colour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

When I contacted Folex a couple of months ago, I was told Target and some Home Depots are going to stock Folex. You can also, buy directly from Folex. I looked a the Folex Website, and Target is lsited for NY/NJ.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    My local Kroger has Folex :dunno Actually my old lady turned me on to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to Target recently, searched high and low, still no Folex
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information