Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Protectant Plus

I picked up a sample of Optimum Protectant Plus in trade and used it for the first time as a spot test. I may takes some pics next week with 303 and this side by side.

A few observations when I applied it:
    Color: yellow tinted cream
    Smell: leather like
    Sheen: leaves a dressy matte look. It is not shiny like some dressings but you can tell there is a dressing especially on low gloss surfaces.

Applications: I did not have a spray applicator so I applied to a towel and spread. Since it is creamy (not as watery like 303), it spreads more like a leather conditioner than some protectants like 303. It seemed to require a little buffing to even it out.

The product is apparently for leather and vinyl.

Next day:
    I drove to work and it was outside in the sun (had a shun shield) around 90+F. When I opened the door there was a strong leatherish odor (not like what I normally smell with my leather seats using 4* Leather conditioner). It dissipated quickly with the windows down but it was strong. I thought something was rotten for an instant.

I will see tomorrow what happens after being in the sun. I prefer the delicate 4* leather conditioner smell.

I am not a fan of shiny interior dressing (like natural using Megs QID or 1z) in part since the dash reflects on the windshield a lot and any dressing makes it worse(303, Mothers).

Verdict: Need to do a larger section of the dash to see if I like the dressed look it gives. The odor may be an issue for me. Any one experience the odor in a hot closed up vehicle after 9 hrs in the sun.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Protectant Plus

I used OPP for the first time the other day too. I didn`t get the strong odors you did.. or maybe my sniffer is off. I also think it smells a bit lemon-y or something. I used a meguiars foam applicator and spread it around with that as I didn`t use a spray bottle either and truth be told with something like this probably wouldn`t use a spray bottle.

The matte finish is real nice and overall I am pretty impressed with it.

I used to use 303 in the same manner (spray on a foam app).. but it seems I`d usually end up with more on the carpet or ground than on my app since it`s watery consistency let it roll off.

We`ll see how long it lasts. I really like 303, I just wish it was a hair thicker and not so blingy.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not smell lemon but almost a dish detergent smell. I agree you need to use a pad with 303 to minimize streaking (unevenness). It does not spray/spread on areas like dashes easily. I just get the pad primed and spread it around.

I had a sample of Mother Protectant too. It spreads nicely with a nice fruit scent that goes away quickly but too shiny for me.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    I used to use 303 in the same manner (spray on a foam app).. but it seems I`d usually end up with more on the carpet or ground than on my app since it`s watery consistency let it roll off.
    I really like 303, I just wish it was a hair thicker and not so blingy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I agree you need to use a pad with 303 to minimize streaking (unevenness). It does not spray/spread on areas like dashes easily. I just get the pad primed and spread it around.
    303 is much easier for me to apply from some type of applicator rather than trying to spray it on the surface to be treated. I happen to use a piece of terry cloth towel.
    One thing that many people do that is not right is apply the 303 and just leave it.
    303 is meant to be buffed after it is wiped on the surface. It then leaves a matte finish rather than the "blingy" look you refer to.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    303 is meant to be buffed after it is wiped on the surface. It then leaves a matte finish rather than the "blingy" look you refer to.

I realize this.. but it`s another step in the process that I can currently avoid with OPP. I can also treat/clean/protect leather all in the same single step with OPP. I know you can protect leather with 303.. but I`m not so sure about it`s cleaning and conditioning abilities.

Also as I said I spray 303 directly on a foam applicator to apply it to surfaces. The problem is that it`s so watery it often rolls off the applicator. I should probably try something with a NAP to it like a terry towel like you suggested. Though I can see that soaking in too much product (waste).

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a treated and untreated section of dash using Optimum Interior Detailer. You can guess which side has been treated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to update this thread by saying the effect seems to be long lasting compared to 303.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information