Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tiny black dots all over my car

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryDetail View Post
    -4 minutes if the clay bar is still in packaging.
    -5 minutes if you need to refill your clay lube bottle.
    -10 minutes if you have to have a few words with the client before hand.
    -and 15 minutes to pee , then come back and start the process!

yea.... it gets tricky

LOL...15 minutes to pee, you could have done three cars in that time...get a bottle, it will save you some time.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Try alittle pb bug squash on the spots if you have some if not just start claying. If I remember right the clay will take off the actual fungus then a brown spot will be left. if this happens use a chemical polish like PB`s Pro Polish

Stoney88
    Post Thanks / Like

It is brake dust. I have had it on my white truck. Regardless of what you think I use a wet sponge with comet and go in one direction on entire vehicle works great and do a complete polish, wax and glaze afterwards. The comet is only cleaning the clearcoat and will not affect the paint.

Brake dust is produced from the friction during braking. Brake dust is disbursed into the air, and onto the paint finish of all vehicles. In recent years the formulation of brake pads have changed from asbestos material to metal or metallic material. Actually, these new "metallic" brake pads are tiny particles of bare metal compressed into the mold of a brake pad. During braking the brake pad is compressed against the rotor. Since both of these materials are made of metal, brake dust is now in the form of metal shavings that adhere and embed into the paint finish. Since all vehicles have metallic brake pads, there is no vehicle that can escape brake dust contamination. It cannot be removed using "current" cleaning methods
    all vehicles now have metallic brake pads, therefore every vehicle on the road is infected with brake dust
    serious damage occurs when left untreated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pogo123 View Post
    What color is your car, and do you park it near mulch? If so it could be artillery fungus (cannon fungus).

Artillery Fungus information from Henry`s Housework, a Maryland pressure washing company..

I had this problem with my wifes white car that was parked next to our house where we had mulched around the shrubs. I ended up replacing the mulch with a different product.
    Wow! That stuff sounds nasty!

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevno6 View Post
    It is brake dust. I have had it on my white truck. Regardless of what you think I use a wet sponge with comet and go in one direction on entire vehicle works great and do a complete polish, wax and glaze afterwards. The comet is only cleaning the clearcoat and will not affect the paint.

Brake dust is produced from the friction during braking. Brake dust is disbursed into the air, and onto the paint finish of all vehicles. In recent years the formulation of brake pads have changed from asbestos material to metal or metallic material. Actually, these new "metallic" brake pads are tiny particles of bare metal compressed into the mold of a brake pad. During braking the brake pad is compressed against the rotor. Since both of these materials are made of metal, brake dust is now in the form of metal shavings that adhere and embed into the paint finish. Since all vehicles have metallic brake pads, there is no vehicle that can escape brake dust contamination. It cannot be removed using "current" cleaning methods
    all vehicles now have metallic brake pads, therefore every vehicle on the road is infected with brake dust
    serious damage occurs when left untreated.

I don`t think you`ll find too many people on here willing to wipe their car down with Comet. A clay bar is much more effective and safer that using an abrasive cleaner like Comet.

I highly doubt that the spots in question are from brake dust particles
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Wow! That stuff sounds nasty!
    Yeah, funny story about that stuff. It took me a while to figure out what it was (I thought it was road tar), and the giveaway was that it kept reappearing even when I hadn`t driven the car, and only on the side of the car that was facing the mulch. Anyway, I removed all the mulch and used lava rock instead. Next Spring my neighbor comes over with a truck load of free mulch that he got somewhere and asked me if I wanted some. I said no thanks, and started to tell him about artillery fungus shooting all over my car. Now realize that they already think I`m a little off since I wash and wax my car constantly, but he was looking at me like I just arrived from Mars! I can just guess what he told the rest of the neighbors!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information