Post Thanks / Like

Spring Detail... many questions

Ive had my TSX for about a year and a half now. When I first bought it I did a quick claying and then applied 2 coats of EX-P and 2 coats of NB. Since I have re-applied a coat of NB about every 3-5 months but I havent really stripped any of the product, just a spot polishing here and there.

The car is garage kept and only driven on sunny days (doesnt even see rain) so the paint is still in exceptional condition besides some random very light barely noticable marring.

This spring Id liked to start fresh and I have a brand new bottle of FK1 1119 (wax & detail pre-cleaner) that I would like to use. Do you guys think it would still be neccesary to clay after using 1119?

I plan on washing with 1119, then polish with PWS, followed by 1 coat of EX-P and 2 coats of NB.

Also I have a bottle FK1 300 hand poly glaze, where could I work that into my detail, after the EX-P?

Is it safe just to add a coat of NB every 3-5 months after my spring detail for about a year or so? I would only be waxing the car after a good wash but I wouldnt be stripping any of the old product.

Think thats it... sorry for the long post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spring Detail... many questions

To tell wether or not the vehicle needs to be clayed I would put a sandwich baggie over my hand and place my fingers on the paint. If your fingers feel nothing but smooth paint claying is not necessary. If you do feel contaminants on the paint, clay that section, then re-employ the baggie method to see if there is a change in the feel of the paint. Go over each every area with the baggie to make sure that a section needs to be clayed.

I would use the glaze mentioned after using PWS and before EX-P.

Depending how harsh the shampoo that you are using is I would think that an addition of a coat of NB would be well warranted.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

So do you guys reccomend I use the FK1 300 glaze before the EX-P or would I be better off not using at all?

If its going to affect the durability of the sealant Id rather not use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not personally familiar with this product or glazes in general but I would GUESS that it would be alright.

You could do a test strip on the hood to see if there is an effect and report back to us your findings?
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at FK1`s site and it really didn`t say too much whether or not it could be used under a sealant. If you are feeling adventurous you could give it a try and let us know how it holds up

Post Thanks / Like

to my knowledge a glaze under a sealant may not be a good thing because of the oils and fillers in some or all glazes, the sealant won`t bond as well imo.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inkedup View Post
    So do you guys reccomend I use the FK1 300 glaze before the EX-P or would I be better off not using at all?

If its going to affect the durability of the sealant Id rather not use it.
    Generally glazes wash off and they can`t be "sealed in" with a sealant. Some have corrective properties to them but most are just make-up for a car that hides imperfections rather than corrects them. Adding a sealant on top of them will work but a glaze will compromise how well that sealant works and I wouldn`t recommend it.

(This is generally speaking. I have not used the FK1 300 Glaze so I do not know it`s capabilities.)

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks for the info everybody.

I got the FK1 300 glaze as a freebie with a large order I placed a few months ago, just trying to find a use for the stuff.

Is there any glazes out there that can be used on top of a sealant and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inkedup View Post
    OK, thanks for the info everybody.

I got the FK1 300 glaze as a freebie with a large order I placed a few months ago, just trying to find a use for the stuff.

Is there any glazes out there that can be used on top of a sealant and wax?
    There are products out there that are called glazes but really aren`t so in those cases it`s possible but with most glazes they have too much paint cleaning ability which would most likely remove the sealant or wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess that raises two questions for me:
    1. "There are products out there that are called glazes but really aren`t"- what are they then?

2. "most glazes they have too much paint cleaning ability which would most likely remove the sealant or wax."- What good are they if they remove whatever protectant is on the car?

I am really confused now, I have a bottle of Meg`s #7 and they recommend applying #26 afterward and now I`m wondering if that is a good thing.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post
    Well I guess that raises two questions for me:
    1. "There are products out there that are called glazes but really aren`t"- what are they then?
    Some companies use the word "glaze" in the name of their sealant. Some will use the word to describe a paint cleaner which does not have hiding characteristics.

2. "most glazes they have too much paint cleaning ability which would most likely remove the sealant or wax."- What good are they if they remove whatever protectant is on the car?
    Again I am speaking generally here. There are exceptions like I mentioned above. Every glaze I have ever used was meant to be a one-step "quick fix" product. They aren`t intended to be put over sealants or waxes.

I am really confused now, I have a bottle of Meg`s #7 and they recommend applying #26 afterward and now I`m wondering if that is a good thing.
    Sorry to confuse you. That combination works well for car shows and if you plan on keeping your car out of the elements but that is not a very durable combo IMO. I am not discrediting Meguiar`s in any way. I am just saying that even in their own line there are much better products to use on daily drivers for durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used 300 FK1 pink hand glaze and 3M IHG and one other glaze....I have had no bonding issues with topping that with a sealant....its one of the many steps that I take in my details.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy.
    Beemmerboy, what would the bonding issues look like or what would I recognize as a bonding failure if I put the wrong combo together?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy.
    Beemmerboy, what would the bonding issues look like or what would I recognize as a bonding failure if I put the wrong combo together?
    That`s a great question and has been discussed here...I notice that the product starts to streak somewhat, looks like there is still something on the surface....sort of a faint looking streak...MOST glazes have a high oil content so laying something on that at times can create a bonding issues...I have made it a practice of taking off the residue of the glazes that I work with, using ice cold water in a spray bottle...this helps to harden the oils and allows for a better surface to lay the LSP
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I have made it a practice of taking off the residue of the glazes that I work with, using ice cold water in a spray bottle...this helps to harden the oils and allows for a better surface to lay the LSP

Do you use this technique when removing sealants and waxes as well?

Think Im going to give it a try

Thread Information