The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Dirty Van Meets S&W

About a week ago, I posted some pictures questioning if my Montana was too dirty for S&W.
    Quite a few people seemed to think that with plenty of product and plenty of MF towels I would be OK.
    After another week of salt, sand, snow spray, brine solution accumulation, I gave it a try today.

1. At first I wasn`t at all comfortable doing the worst areas, even with lots of S&W. After doing the areas behind the wheel openings and not noticing any drag or resistance in removing the S&W/dirt, my comfort level became such that I didn`t have any second thoughts about the project.

2. It took about 8 oz. of S&W to do the entire vehicle including the wheels and tires, but not including the windows. I know the S&W is used on the windows by some, but I prefer a window cleaner. S&W will do a decent job of cleaning tires and leaves a matte look which I prefer. I would usually use Bold and Bright for the tires, but I was too lazy to go back in the house and get it.

3. I used 12 MF towels for the body and two cotton terry towels for the wheels and tires.

4. I also applied some Aqua Wax and that used 2 more MF towels. Add in the one MF I used for the glass and I had enough for a washer load.

5. It was 28 degrees outside when I started my kerosene heater in the garage. It was about the same in the garage, but it was 12 degrees outside at 6:30 this morning so things weren`t too warm. After 10 minutes of running the heater the air temperature was 45 degrees and I did the windows while letting the heater continue to run.

5a. 45 degrees was plenty warm for me, but the warmer it got, the better the products worked.

5b. When it reached 55 degrees, the S&W was much easier to wipe dry. 45 worked, but it took a couple of passes to not leave any streaks.

5c. Next time, I vacuum and clean the mats while I let the temperature reach the 55 to 60 degree range. Things worked enough better that it will be worth the wait for me. It probably only took another 5 to 10 minutes anyway.

6. Having once used the S&W under those conditions, I wouldn`t hesitate to do it again. I didn`t notice any marring, although on the white it wouldn`t be real obvious without a close inspection.
    Of course the clean up will probably last about 5 blocks, but at least it made me feel better.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirty Van Meets S&W

Charles, with the van that dirty do you think a large supply of S&W kept in a chemical pump sprayer would be a better applicator given the size of some vehicles. It has crossed my mind due to the fine mist setting you can achieve with some sprayers. Maybe its overkill, but at 8 oz. per wash, you`re gonna need some more.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Charles

I have used S&W on some real dirty cars, much worse that what you posted last week...although I don`t have the temp problems you have, I can`t attest to how it works in those temps....However I have not found anything better than a good bucket wash than S&W...
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post
    Charles, with the van that dirty do you think a large supply of S&W kept in a chemical pump sprayer would be a better applicator given the size of some vehicles. It has crossed my mind due to the fine mist setting you can achieve with some sprayers. Maybe its overkill, but at 8 oz. per wash, you`re gonna need some more.

Erik
    I buy the stuff by the gallon, (Don`t have a convenient place to keep a 5 gallon container or I would be buying that size.), so I have plenty on hand. Usually 2 or 3 gallons.
    Using a 32 oz. spray bottle gives me plenty since I only S&W my own vehicles. Hey, it`s a mini-van. I think the pump up sprayer would be somewhat of a nuisance for me to store, move around, and carry to and from the garage all winter.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you had good results. I am a S&W fanatic. Now you know why I use so may towels when I do a S&W wipedown. It just makes it safer.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    I buy the stuff by the gallon, (Don`t have a convenient place to keep a 5 gallon container or I would be buying that size.), so I have plenty on hand. Usually 2 or 3 gallons.
    Using a 32 oz. spray bottle gives me plenty since I only S&W my own vehicles. Hey, it`s a mini-van. I think the pump up sprayer would be somewhat of a nuisance for me to store, move around, and carry to and from the garage all winter.
    I just got a five gallon container recently it wasn`t as cumbersome as I thought it was going to be, it fits nicely just under one of my shelves...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles you are becoming a brave man

Glad you gave it a shot over 5 years ago
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Charles you are becoming a brave man

Glad you gave it a shot over 5 years ago
    Back at that time if someone had given me 5 gallons of a "waterless" wash, I would never have used it on the vehicles. Over the years, it has become the most used product I own by a large margin. Can`t imagine how I would keep up with the cleaning of the vehicles without it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll have to agree with Stephan - I got a 5 gallon Bug Squash, and it fits nicely on my shelf as well.

Glad you took the plunge and used the S&W on a real test!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean Van Meets Iowa Roads

The van stayed clean for a little over a mile, relatively clean for about 8 miles, and by the 15 mile mark, it was as dirty as when I started on it Wednesday.
    Oh well, this way I will have a chance to see how the 4 in 1 does on a dirty vehicle.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures?

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Pictures?
    The pictures I posted a week ago would be pretty representative of how the van looks right now. In fact it might be even dirtier.
    As far as pictures after the S&W, no, I didn`t take any. It just looked like any freshly washed White Pontiac Montana mini-van. Certainly nothing special.

Charles

Thread Information