Post Thanks / Like

So how do I actually clean my leather seats?

I`ve coated white leather and nothing seems to be able to clean it except for water, towel and tons of elbow grease...that is the only way that even removes a little of the grime and its just a painstakingly long process. I don`t have a PC so I`m down to using my hands.

I`ve tried using Lexol, Woolite, and 1z and nothing works... Using the aforementioned products, I would wipe my seats with them with a VERY generous amount and let them dwell for ~5 minutes and then I scrubbed it sing those cheap $1 scrubbers for maybe another 5 minutes and absolutely nothing happens except that my interior now smells of the cleaner I`ve been using...

I`m pretty sure the seats are dirty because I`ve had the car for 2 years and I`ve done nothing to clean them....

On the other hand, how do I know if I`m actually removing grime vs. removing the dye of the leather?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So how do I actually clean my leather seats?

Leatherique
    Best stuff on the market IMO

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Your seats must appear dirty or you probably wouldn`t have this concern, right?
    One thing that has always concerned me is what the cleaner does to the leather or its coating.
    A dedicated leather cleaner is what I use now, but I have used Woolite/water at 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite with good results.
    I clean my seats at least monthly so they are never very dirty.
    On coated leather and vinyl, I have used 303 Cleaner followed by 303 Protectant, Poorboy`s Natural Look, the Woolite mix followed by 303 Protectant.
    I personally have never used a brush for cleaning leather or vinyl. Never felt I needed to. I happen to use terry cloth towels since I have a lot of them. A MF towel should work just as well.
    I get the towel pretty damp, but not wet enough for water to get into the seams of the upholstery. Just gently wiping gets the area pretty clean and actual "scrubbing" with the towel is rarely needed in my vehicles. The vinyl on the boats does need some scrubbing due to the shoe traffic on the seats.
    One thing that many people don`t take into account is the fact that the cleaning agent needs a little time to loosen the dirt before it can be wiped away. One quick swipe may not do it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadaloo View Post
    I`ve coated white leather and nothing seems to be able to clean it except for water, towel and tons of elbow grease...that is the only way that even removes a little of the grime and its just a painstakingly long process. I don`t have a PC so I`m down to using my hands.

I`ve tried using Lexol, Woolite, and 1z and nothing works... Using the aforementioned products, I would wipe my seats with them with a VERY generous amount and let them dwell for ~5 minutes and then I scrubbed it sing those cheap $1 scrubbers for maybe another 5 minutes and absolutely nothing happens except that my interior now smells of the cleaner I`ve been using...

I`m pretty sure the seats are dirty because I`ve had the car for 2 years and I`ve done nothing to clean them....

On the other hand, how do I know if I`m actually removing grime vs. removing the dye of the leather?

Is this all the leather seats in your car or just the drivers / most used seats that are dirty?

I`m asking this for a reason, I wonder if the seats that are most used have some fine cracks in them from use and that might be appearing as dirt when its breaks in the color and exposing the true color of the leather underneath....My BMW driver seat is this way but its 9 years old....The Leathique is a great cleaner, very long in the process but it will lift anything that is in the leather out...If you where removing the dye from the seat it would be white in color or the color of the seat
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I have leather seats and I use the Connolly Hide Care Leather Products. They have a cleaner and a leather conditioner. Connolly is the company that made the leather for Jaguar seats prior to Ford`s ownership of Jaguar. So it would seem that they know how to care for leather.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    I have leather seats and I use the Connolly Hide Care Leather Products. They have a cleaner and a leather conditioner. Connolly is the company that made the leather for Jaguar seats prior to Ford`s ownership of Jaguar. So it would seem that they know how to care for leather.
    Slight hi-jack here.
    Jaguar leather was probably not coated leather prior to the Ford purchase.
    Is it coated or uncoated under Ford`s direction?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Slight hi-jack here.
    My 2003 is not coated, but I have wondered the same thing about the new models. I need to take mine to the dealer to fix the auto-leveling headlights so if I remember to I`ll ask this question.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Slight hi-jack here.
    I think it might depend on the model, I know my friend`s X-Type is coated...

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in another forum but this is what the autombile eather manufacturers say -- not the ones that sell leather conditioners or protectants.

GST Leather (makes a lot of the coated leather in cars)

Use a mild cleaner.
    Choose a mild soap and use water to clean your automotive leather interior. Or use a damp rag or sponge to clean the surface and concentrate on small areas at a time. Don`t saturate the leather with water.

Use a leather conditioner.
    There are many fine products available that can improve the softness and texture of your automotive leather interior. While we don`t recommend any one in particular, we suggest you drop by your local auto parts store for their advice.

Use professional detailing services.
    If you`re like us, you spend a lot of time in your car. Periodically visit your local automotive detailer. They carry products designed specifically for your automotive leather interior not available to the general public.

However, I do find the last comment about seeing a professional detailing. I think I will ask GST to clarify this.

Eagle Ottawa Leathers (another major leather supplier, seems to specialize in aniline (uncoated) leather)

Before cleaning leather upholstery, vacuum it to remove dust. To clean leather, simply use a clean, soft and lint-free cloth dampened with lukewarm water and mild soap. Use a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what they mean by "soap" so would Dawn work? or do they mean hand soaps? or laundry detergent like woolite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadaloo View Post
    I wonder what they mean by "soap" so would Dawn work? or do they mean hand soaps? or laundry detergent like woolite
    Woolite diluted to 1:7 or 1:10 is what most use as a mild soap. Dawn is not.

Thread Information