Classy Touch Mobile
    Post Thanks / Like

Professionals: Detail Interior or Exterior First?

Just was wondering if there was a general consensus among you guys as to what to detail first. I`ve always started with the engine door jambs first, then wash, then exterior, then interior. But I`ve heard different things about what to start on first. I think my main concern with this has to do with cars that have heavily soiled door jams. I like to do these first and I can see this affecting a freshly detailed interior if I was to do them after the interior. Please give an explanation as to why you like your method. Any and all help appreciated, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professionals: Detail Interior or Exterior First?

Quote Originally Posted by musicawal View Post
    Just was wondering if there was a general consensus among you guys as to what to detail first. I`ve always started with the engine door jambs first, then wash, then exterior, then interior. But I`ve heard different things about what to start on first. I think my main concern with this has to do with cars that have heavily soiled door jams. I like to do these first and I can see this affecting a freshly detailed interior if I was to do them after the interior. Please give an explanation as to why you like your method. Any and all help appreciated, thanks.
    If I am going to do the engine that is always first...its a messy job and if anything gets on the outside of the car it will be washed off next..wheels, tires and wells....then the door jambs and trunk run off area...again these are messy areas to clean in some cases...its pre-wash so I am not conrened about the outside...if any water gets inside the car and some time dose...no biggie that`s coming after the wash is done......the whole car is then washed and dried...Once that`s done I focus on the inside and complete that with the mats on the out side drying...this also allows time for the rugs on the inside to dry if you shampooed them....you can pass on the windows on the inside of the car at this time

Then I start the paint and finish that to the point that the sealant is on the car and curing...while that cures...I do the tires, rims, wells, jambs, trunk if needed...then finish up removing the sealant...windows are cleaned inside and out...this allows you to focus on just the window so that you get it streak free and really clean...and a finial wipe down with some QD to make sure that the car is 100%

P.S.

Fast way to clean the jambs....get your APC and a few brushes, the water hose on a low flow no pressure is needed here...wet the jamb, spray in some APC...use the brushes to agitate and then rinse and move on they can air dry for the time, because I`m going to polish them later in the detail
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the proceedure I follow on most every detail I do. Been doing it this way for 16 years.

1. Clean wheels, tires and wheel wells
    2. Degrease Engine
    3. Wash Exterior (starting at front and finishing up on front especially during bug season)
    4. Pressure rinse exterior & door jambs
    5. Clay and dry at the same time
    6. Detail interior
    ---- a. Quick vacuum
    ---- b. Clean sections at a time going front to back
    ---- on both sides so when you are done cleaning,
    ---- all seats are moved all the way forward
    ---- c. Thorough vacuum from back to front
    ---- d. Condition leather, rubber, vinyl & plastic
    7. Paint correction (buffing & polishing)
    8. Finish detailing engine
    9. Polish wheels
    10. Condition trim and dress tires
    11. Apply LSP
    12. Clean windows and final detail of dash and console area
    13. Remove LSP
    14. Double check everything

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always did interiors first...reasons:
    a) I was clean and wanted the interior to not get wet from my feet or dirty from polishes that got on my clothes.
    b) if I was going to shampoo carpets and seats, i wanted the most amount of time possible for them to start the drying process

then...engines if needed
    then wash entire vehicle
    then dry
    then get a drink and use the bathroom
    then exterior work
    then check the interior and recheck windows
    then look for small details
    then QD
    then collect $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior First:
    Scrub down interior
    Dress interior
    Glass
    vac
    shampoo
    Exterior:
    Start on shady side of car first
    Wheels, Wells, tires
    Clean engine and dress
    wash car
    dry
    I dress wells and tires before or after I dry, just depends
    clay
    polish
    wax
    jambs
    glass

sure I forgot something??
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I need to shampoo the carpets, I`ll do them first. Other than that, I have a pretty good routine set up by now that works very well for me. I start on the wheels and wheel wells, go to the exterior from there, and finish up with the interior.

**EDIT: I just read that the title was targeted at professionals. Please note that the information included in this post was not from a professional, but merely a detailing enthusiast.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always done the exterior first but on a few occasions I`ve changed it up. If I have a vehicle that needs quite a bit of shampooing I`ll do the interior first and then move to the exterior. Or if it`s a hot day and I`m starting the car in the afternoon I`ll start the interior and move to the exterior as shade permits (I won`t work in sun unless it`s 100% inevitable).

Troy your routine sounds almost identical to mine except that I usually clay while I wash and I start in the drivers area and move around to the front passenger on my interiors
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This must be a trick question. Personally it depends on conditions. If its a dark colored car and it is early in the morning I get the paint work done. If it early afternoon i get the interior done then when the paint has cooled i do the paint work. I like to make sure that carpets have an opportunity to dry during the heat of the day.

My process in most cases is vacuum, engine, wash vehicle while car is drying wheels and wheel wells, Paint work, while sealant is curing I concentrate and clean one section of interior at time. Meaning I clean shampoo carpet and vinyl and dress then move to next area of car so that i don`t have to come back.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both at the same time for me. I have a helper so while i`m working on one side, he`s working on the other.

Thread Information