Post Thanks / Like

tire shine on windy days.....

Im curious as to how some of you Mobile guys deal with a light breeze that loves to just swoop up your dressing overspray and place it on the paint....

I apply shine to the tires by foam pad, but when i do my wheel wells I usually spray to get a decent even coat and to spray everything.

BUT when you spray the invetiable happens (overspray) and even the slightest breeze likes to blow the shine all over the paint and windows.

HOw do you guys cope with this? is there any other way to apply shine to the wheel well areas? I have big hands and they dont usually reach inside the wheel wells enough to apply them by hand.

So guys post up your processes and help me out a bit.

Thank you

Matthew

Detail Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: tire shine on windy days.....

I for one never shine the wheel well`s its never even and rarely looks good (my opinon) however I see a lot of my detailers doing it and what I tell them to do weather it`s the wheel wells or the tires it do it right after you prep the vec.that way you dont have to worry about the tire dressing blowing over the vec.you just buffed.

Post Thanks / Like

I apply mine with a painters brush...its gives me equal coverage as I go over the tires a few times. In the wheel wells I also use the brush for the spots closest to the paint and then use a spray for the portions farther in. However I do hold it as close as possible and I have not had a problem with the spray coating the car.

I do my tires right after I finsih polishing the car the way I ensure that if there is any dusting from the polishing process it will not land on my newly cleaned and dressed tires.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

stephan I do the exact same thing only replace your brush with a sponge and you have my process lol.

Maybe im spraying too much, the overspray from the dressing is very light. Its a solvent based dressing not water based.

Richard B I understand where your coming from if the wheel wells are in good condition or near new they dont need any dressing, but in some cases I do alot of older cars with wear and tear on them and I find Dressing helps "blacken" out the wheel well and makes it look cleaner.

thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Country View Post
    stephan I do the exact same thing only replace your brush with a sponge and you have my process lol.

Maybe im spraying too much, the overspray from the dressing is very light. Its a solvent based dressing not water based.

So are you spraying onto the sponge/applicator and that is getting onto the vehicle? Thats where ours differs...I open up the dressing and pour it into a cup. If you are talking about the overspray from when you are doing the wheel wells. Then what I do is on those days if I can`t get the bottle in close is I switch to a more gel type of a spray as opposed to an aresol...

Or I could be missing your point entirely...lol
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dress the wheel wells right after I finish washing, and the water is still on the car.

For the tires, I usually spray the dressing into a stiff bristle brush, then use the brush on the tires....
    (a stiff bristle tire brush)
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    So are you spraying onto the sponge/applicator and that is getting onto the vehicle? Thats where ours differs...I open up the dressing and pour it into a cup. If you are talking about the overspray from when you are doing the wheel wells. Then what I do is on those days if I can`t get the bottle in close is I switch to a more gel type of a spray as opposed to an aresol...

Or I could be missing your point entirely...lol
    No its when i spray the dressing directly into the wheel well area, I apply the dressing on the sponge by a open bottle or put the spray nossil directly into the sponge.

dress the wheel wells right after I finish washing, and the water is still on the car.

For the tires, I usually spray the dressing into a stiff bristle brush, then use the brush on the tires....
    (a stiff bristle tire brush
    I always thought that the dressing wouldnt stick to a wet surface. Does water based dressing stick to a semi wet surface in the well area? or do you dry up the well area with a towel or other method, then spray then dry off the rest of the vehicle?

Thanks

Matthew

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    I dress the wheel wells right after I finish washing, and the water is still on the car.
    Ditto. I also do the tires this way, If i`m using a waterbased dressing that is. Cuts 5 minutes off the total time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    Ditto. I also do the tires this way, If i`m using a waterbased dressing that is. Cuts 5 minutes off the total time.
    I do it, whether it be water based or solvent/silicone. I figure I wipe it away when drying, then the if any is left, claying/polishing takes care of it...
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

I do it, whether it be water based or solvent/silicone. I figure I wipe it away when drying, then the if any is left, claying/polishing takes care of it...
    wish i could do that here. its been over 100 here in laredo for the past month. and i have to hurry and dry the car as fast as i can. so i leave the tires for when i finish drying.

Post Thanks / Like

been close to 100 here as well with the heat index factored in. Filtered water system is on my list of purchased..... I hate running around the car to get it dried before the dreaded spots set in....

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hows the solvent based react with the water on the tires chris? Any spotting/blotches, Does it dry evenly? I might have to give it a try tomorrow.

Thread Information