Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detail Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

Help New Car Smell

Have a 07 Toyota Prius and need to get rid of new car smell...Cannot use any cem`s in it allready have let fan run inside for a few days.

Jersey Devil Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help New Car Smell

well i wish i could get the new smell back so send it my way.... your best bet is a fogger type de odorizer

Detail Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought about that have a nice ozonater but than will have that smell in it for awhile think in going to run it for a few days with the A/C on and see what happens.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You`re the first person i`ve ever heard of trying to get rid of the new car smell.

As far as i know, the new car smell is caused by gases released from the new interior plastics and such. Someone correct me if i`m wrong. My guess would be to just keep the windows down and let it air out til its gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Peoole buy new cars for that new car scent. Have someone smoke in your car and that new car scent will be gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    You`re the first person i`ve ever heard of trying to get rid of the new car smell.

As far as i know, the new car smell is caused by gases released from the new interior plastics and such. Someone correct me if i`m wrong. My guess would be to just keep the windows down and let it air out til its gone.
    You are right the new car smell is called out-gassing its the new materials releasing the smell...how to get it out is not going to be easy...windows down would be a start....I would also see if you have a professional detailer that has a OZ machine...these can help to neutralize the smells...however you are going to have to wait for the newness of the interior to out gas naturally before the smell will go away completely

Are you allergic to the smell?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Detail Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

Beem,Not my car Customer bought vec on 5-26
    And part of the deal was to get rid of new car smell,
    there are times when we get this from people who are allergic to certain smells,I have a nice oz mach.but that will kill the smell but then will have the oz smell in it.As far as the out gassing every new vec.has it I just have to find a way to kill it.

What do you think of this

1. Run vec.with A/C on and windows cracked for up to 8hr.s a day for a few If this does not work I will.
    2.Use ozonater then run the vec. again for 8hr.s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Beem,Not my car Customer bought vec on 5-26
    And part of the deal was to get rid of new car smell,
    there are times when we get this from people who are allergic to certain smells,I have a nice oz mach.but that will kill the smell but then will have the oz smell in it.As far as the out gassing every new vec.has it I just have to find a way to kill it.

What do you think of this

1. Run vec.with A/C on and windows cracked for up to 8hr.s a day for a few If this does not work I will.
    2.Use ozonater then run the vec. again for 8hr.s
    Richard

What you are trying to do is remove the new smell and I don`t see that as possible in a short order...meaning that the plastics need to air out and using forced air (to me) doesn`t seem like it will work...I think its more of a natural process not something that can be rushed..as you are suggesting...Running the car for 8 hours at a time will take the smell out in the short order but it will come back I think....Are you at a dealership? and some sales guy promised this to the buyer?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Detail Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep At A Dealership And Yes Anything To Make A Deal,wish I Had The Time To Just Let It Run It`s Course But I Dont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Yep At A Dealership And Yes Anything To Make A Deal,wish I Had The Time To Just Let It Run It`s Course But I Dont.
    I know that car sales are down but for some sales guy to promise this seems a bit far fetched.

You can get oder-eliminators some are neutral scented but that`s going to mask the smell....this might be a solution in the short order.....truly I think your up against something that will be impossible to get rid of with out the luxury of time...IMO you can`t make new smell go away without it fading naturally....I would have the sales person talk to the customer and find out just what the reason is for this and see if there is something else that can be done..meaning is there a scent that can be put into the car that they can live with?

Hospital scent?

Sorry I feel your pain trust me

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    You are right the new car smell is called out-gassing its the new materials releasing the smell...how to get it out is not going to be easy...windows down would be a start....I would also see if you have a professional detailer that has a OZ machine...these can help to neutralize the smells...however you are going to have to wait for the newness of the interior to out gas naturally before the smell will go away completely
    I agree 100%.

The smell is going to be VERY hard to take out... You may try what everyone recommended but I doubt if it will remove it all... As everything gets settled in by the heat I guess you will have to wait and see...
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

Post Thanks / Like

God I love that smell...I tried so hard not to loose it when I got my new car...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My only suggestion is to roll the windows down and let it sit out in the heat for as long as possible. I couldn`t imagine letting it idle for 8 hours at a time could be good for it.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    You are right the new car smell is called out-gassing its the new materials releasing the smell..
    I didn`t know that...good post cool to learn new stuff...I will give you another purple rep point
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I didn`t know that...good post cool to learn new stuff...I will give you another purple rep point
    Thanks is was something that I learned here....its what causes that blue film on the inside of new car windows

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information