Post Thanks / Like

testing waxes/polys

How would some of us novice detailers conduct our own product testing of waxes and sealants? Shine is easy to see right off, but I am just as concerned with durability. How do I tell when UPP or EX has worn off my finish? They both have polys and they protect even though they don`t always bead. The carnuba in EX is mostly for shine and beading, right? Someone mentioned once that Gold Class, for example, has some polymers in it, so even though after a while it no longer beads, but it still protects.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Let`s be fair, within enthusiasts, who does really care about durability? I can`t wait more than 2 weeks before I do something to my car, either another coat of wax, or a complete strip off and apply of something new.

It`s been said tho, that Klasse lasts longer, not that I haven`t striped it also after a couple of weeks.

:kneel
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I for one care and I say that not everyone has the time to strip down their finish just for the heck of it. I would like to maintain a nice finish for a couple of months anyway and know that my finish is still protected if I can`t get to a full-up, strip-down detail. I keep my vehicles clean (QD`d, vaccumed, windows clean, trim and tires dressed), but PC`ing is time consuming and I have to plan half to a full day for that. Sometimes it`s hard to find. The other stuff I can piece-meal through the week.
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    So, that`s what you should do, AIO, a couple of coats of SG and a coat of CW when you have the time.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Boss_429
    rt,

I`m certainly one enthusiast that cares about durability. Being that I have to drive my vehicle everyday, through snow, sleet, freezing rain, salt, sand, and a host of other things during the winter....... and then come home and park it in the driveway......... no garage to park it in, or clean it.

Anyhow, as for duraility........... it`s probably impossible to tell without specialized equipment (gloss meter.... etc.). Still, if my paint is sheeting AND it looks a little dull a day or two after I wash, and QD it, I consider the protection gone. Not scientific, but it`s all I have to go by.

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO + SG seems to have good durability.

My wife`s car (93 Toyota Corolla) is parked outside. It has 2 coats of AIO + 3 coats of Klasse SG. After 7 weeks, it still beads and sheets. After I wash the car, I use a Sonus or PUGE and the car looks pretty good. This is in Central Valley, CA where it`s hot with plenty of sunshine.

My car (96 Toyota Corolla) is parked inside with AIO + SG + UPP. After 6 weeks, it has lost some slickness but not its shine. I use PUGE after I wash. The car has gotten lots of compliments.

I strip, clay, clean, "wax" both cars 2 to 3 times a year.

From what I`ve read on this forum and others, Klasse seems to last somewhere around 5-6 months, maybe longer. UPP is said to last around 4 months. Ziano is supposed to have excellent durability, but I haven`t used it. EX claims 6-9 mths, but users are still testing. All of the above are said to be excellent applications. BUT, that said, durability will vary alot from place to place and changes in application methods, climatic conditions, and driving habits, so your "mileage may vary."

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I`ll have to continue using the trusted "calibrated eyeball" method. No biggie, I use that method on most everything anyway!:crazy
    Lt Pewter

Thread Information