Thread: Canopies

Post Thanks / Like

Canopies

OK, this is a question more for the mobile guys. Who here uses a canopy, and if so, which one do you use? If you have used different ones, which do you prefer and why? I live in North Florida, and I am going to start doing some weekend detailing. I have been doing it for myself and friends for about 2 years, and they tend to tell everyone that I am the best around (lol). Here it can be 70 degrees out, but on a sunny day, the paint will burn your hand

I`ve looked around at a bunch of different canopies, and they all look good. Which ones do you mobile guys prefer, if you use one at all? Which would be better, an 8x12, 10x10, or 10x12? I`ve pretty much narrowed it down to 2 or 3, including the EZ-Up and Quick Shade; for those who have used them, which has the easiest setup that one person could do alone?

Thanks in advance,
    Justin

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canopies

I got a e-z-up, 10x10 i think it is. Its easy to put up by myself. Get the bigger one if you can.

I would suggest getting some small velcro sandbags to attatch to the legs for those windy days.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I might throw in here.
    We have a Farmer`s Market with over 70 vendors each week during the summer.
    Most use EZ-Up canopies. There just might be a reason.
    I did ask one vendor and he mentioned that EZ-Up had various price levels and suggested the better ones for regular use.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    I did ask one vendor and he mentioned that EZ-Up had various price levels and suggested the better ones for regular use.

Charles
    Yea I was looking at their website, the prices range from $100 to $500. I know Sports Authority has 10x10 Quik Shades for around $70. I may get one of those to get me started, then upgrade later.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post

Charles
    Yes, after 20+ years out at car shows, EZ-Ups are the choice by most and do tend to stand up to various weather obsticles.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    Yea I was looking at their website, the prices range from $100 to $500. I know Sports Authority has 10x10 Quik Shades for around $70. I may get one of those to get me started, then upgrade later.
    I`ve had both and as the Quik Shades are a good buy they do not have the same quality as the EZ-Ups
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well just to give you another option, I bought 2 10x15 pop-up canopies about a year ago from Northerntool.com.

Although it`s nice to have the extra shade, these tents aren`t made as well as the EZ-ups and I really wouldn`t recommend buying one unless you plan on babying it. I learned the hard way that you can`t just muscle them up if they don`t want to go. The rods bend and break if you are not careful.

I bought 2 with the thinking that I could create a 20x15 shaded area when needed, which would be plenty of shade for most any size car or suv.

Troy

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    I would suggest getting some small velcro sandbags to attatch to the legs for those windy days.
    Here`s another thing I learned the hard way. It takes more than sand bags on windy days. It doesn`t take much wind to flip one of these tents. I usually use a couple 5 gallon buckets filled with water secured to the legs. That works on most days but even then, there are times when I need to strap it to the truck or jam the feet under a parking block.

Believe me, you tend to get nervous using a tent when there is wind involved because it could very easily slide and damage the car your working on.

Troy

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Here`s another thing I learned the hard way. It takes more than sand bags on windy days. It doesn`t take much wind to flip one of these tents. I usually use a couple 5 gallon buckets filled with water secured to the legs. That works on most days but even then, there are times when I need to strap it to the truck or jam the feet under a parking block.

Believe me, you tend to get nervous using a tent when there is wind involved because it could very easily slide and damage the car your working on.

Troy
    Troy you should also bungee them together to add extra stability
    The only problem when using heavy weight to secure them, is that if it is really really windy, the frames with just twist and bend as me how I know
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information