Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem in our shop.

This is for you shop owners out there who have employees. Ok, I came to find out that 1 of my employees decided to open our shop up for a full detail on one of his friend`s cars for $100 this past Sunday. He didn`t ask or even inform me that this was being doen, it was my landlord that informed me of this. Well my employee decided he would give his cousin 50 bucks of it for helping him, and he would pocket the rest. I talk to his cousin quite often and his cousin told me about the detail thinking thta I already knew about it, and that I wouldn`t care, well he was wrong. I am pretty pissed off, he hasn`t come out for work the past 3 days, claiming he was sick, how many people get too sick to pick up a damn phone and call. I talked with my employee earlier today kinda hinting around that I knew that he had done something to see if he would save himself and tell me about it, well he didn`t. He did bring some of his own supplies to the shop to use for detailing, but not everything that he used, I pay for the rent utilites and all of the other supplies. So I have a couple of ways I think I am gonna handle this, first is to fire him, second is to hold his supplies until he pays me the 100 bucks for the detail he did, or if he doesn`t do that, threaten to prosecute him, and have him arrested.

What does everyone think, I have never had to deal with a problem of this sort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    well Jack that really sucks that that guy did that, but your plan sounds good to me cause if I was you I would prolly beat the piss out of him cause thats just the way I am

Post Thanks / Like
    I would talk to him and see what he says. He may have truely thought that you wouldn`t care. Explaining to him why you DO care might allow the both of you to come to an understanding. Is he an otherwise good employee? How long has he worked for you? Just my .02 and I may be a bit too passive, but sometimes things can be resolved with a little communication. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ps You may have more luck posting this in the "professional" area as most of here are a bunch of DIY`ers or part time HACKS

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with EBPcivicsi, talk it over with the employee. If the employee is reliebale do the following. Set boundaries. Let the employee know what you expect, what is allowed and what is not allowed. Advise the employee of potential consequence for violation of the above. Also, put the above items in writing, discuss and have all current and future employees sign. Do not assume the employees know what you expect.

Be careful, not to open yourself up to any legal action.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totaly agreed. Comunication is always no. 1. When prosocuting the lower man always has the longer end of the stick. In america everyone loves the underdog. I`d just try and discuss it with him and get paid for what he used. If that doesn`t work I`d just fire him. Court will just be a waste of you`re own time and money for such a small stupid misshap.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    ps You may have more luck posting this in the "professional" area as most of here are a bunch of DIY`ers or part time HACKS
    For some odd reason I sort of take offense at that .

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of agree we all participate in both the General and Professional Forums.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

For some odd reason I sort of take offense at that .

Natty
    Natty, you`re certainly not included in the "most" group I was mentioning. Anyone who has the skills and stones to take a rotary to a black audi qualifies as a pro in my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell the guy you lost your key and consequently have to get new locks and ask for his key. That way he won`t have a copy made and rip you off after you`ve completed the plan below.

Have him do a couple of detail jobs for you and withhold his pay for those jobs.

Tell him about what you learned and that you are withholding his part of the jobs he did for you as payment for utilities and supplies and then kick him out.

Do not do violence to him. That`s wrong and illegal.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi

Natty, you`re certainly not included in the "most" group I was mentioning. Anyone who has the skills and stones to take a rotary to a black audi qualifies as a pro in my book!
    Thank you EBP but I must say there are plenty more skilled and very experienced non-pros here, many of whom I would prefer detailed my vehicles over some of the "pros" I`ve seen working at shops near me. No hard feelings.

Now my .02 on the original question. What your employee did was certainly wrong and the fact he attempted to hide it from you makes it even worse. Still, according to a trade rag I read one of the largest and most common problems in the industry is hiring and RETAINING qualified and reliable help. If your man meets those two criteria you`d almost be biting off your nose to spite your face by firing him. Recruiting a new person then training then developing a level of trust with that person will take time and effort and most likely will result in lost revenue in that time is money.

Based on the minimal history you`ve provided about this person I`d be inclined to give him a second chance. I would make it crystal clear what happened is totally inexcusible and inform him, in writing, that he is on some sort of job probation for 3 months. During this period tardiness, unexcused abscence or extracurricular activities can result in immediate dismissal. I would certainly ask for his key to the shop.

It is a tough call I`m sure. You know the person and your own situation so I`m sure you`ll come to a determination based on your business needs rather than a purely emotional first reaction.

Good luck!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Boss_429
    First, I guess I`m a "Hack", but will try to give a simple answer.

Anyhow, the first thing I would do, is beat him to a "pulp". J/K

Seriously, anybody can make a mistake........... Lord knows I`ve made my share of them over the years. Having said that, I would agree with what most have said here, and give the guy a second chance with a firm understanding of your concerns!

Of course, if that doesn`t work, you can always refer back to my previous suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d open a line of communication with your employee. Doesn`t sound you had set down specific ground rules where this incident is concerned...

As far as withholding his pay or having him do detail jobs for you then not paying him as someone had suggested here - I think that would only make the situation worse. You may be better off absorbing the loss in terms of supplies and lost revenue from the job he did for his friend, and letting him know exactly where you stand where this is concerned.

As far as the gentleman that stated the following:
    "if I was you I would prolly beat the piss out of him cause thats just the way I am" - - - That isn`t the way to handle the situation. If I was your employee and knew that you handled things like that, I`d actually manipulate some variables to get you to `beat the piss` out of me. Then I`d own your company... Seriously, I`d take an ass whooping - - - then I`d have a jury give me all of your money, your business, and even your dreams

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a moral issue not a money issue, I doubt you really care about the hundred bucks, but more about the morality of it. First off, does your company have written rules or is it just verbal. If he was unaware this was wrong then I don`t think you should fire him, but by him keeping this to himself makes it seem like he could know you wouldn`t be happy. If this is his only mistake I would work it out, if not get rid of him. Keeping his tools and asking for the hundred bucks sounds a little immature to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,

Has this employee been good and reliable in the past?

I`ll tell you a story and I will try to make it as short as possible but forgive me if it gets kinda long.

A few years ago when I was cleaning carpet there was this kid I worked with and he picked up the truck a little early one night ( we cleaned restaurant carpet at night) and wen`t over to his girlfriends apartment and cleaned the carpet. The boss found out about him doing this (a story in itself) and fired him immediately. This guy had worked for him for 2 years and had never called in sick, did his work, even had accounts request him personally because he did such a good job. Lets face it, its hard to find reliable people willing to work for $10 hr cleaning nasty carpet from 11pm to 6 am from 5-6 nights a week.
    Was the kid wrong to clean his girlfriends apartment? YES
    Did he do it out of some malicious intent? NO
    Had he been a problem employee in the past? NO
    The guy just did not think about his action. He did not think about the cost of gas, chemicals, propane, wear and tear, etc. He was just being a nice guy to his girl and in no way meant to harm his boss and his company.

The guy got hired by a competitor and my boss lost a lot of money trying to find an acceptable replacement. He even lost some account because "Jason cleaned better, Jason was nicer, Jason got all the stains out, Jason always moved the tables back", etc, etc.

Good luck in your situation, just make sure you make a rational and thoughtful decision.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Cut your losses, replace locks, terminate employee. Sets the tone that doing such activities WILL NOT BE TOLLERATED!

Having them do more work without pay is illegal. You cannot withhold pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information