Post Thanks / Like

Question The dash mat......yes or no?

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to install a dash mat on my 06 Toyota truck? I know that they do use adhesive velcro pads, so I am kind of reluctant to stick anything on a new dash that might be a pain to later remove (talking about the velcro that sticks on the dash itself--not the mat). If I take good care of the interior, detailing it regularly using uv protective products on the dash, would there be any reason to get a dash mat? Does anyone have any input either postitive or negative on dash mats? I mean, do they really serve a function?

Thanks.

Jack in WC

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The dash mat......yes or no?

If you take care of the interior there`s really no need to get a mat. 303 Aerospace protectant will keep your dash protected from the UV rays. There`s really no "bad" about the dash mat, it`s just probably not that attractive.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Jen has said. I would only use the mat to cover a damaged dash.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE 1
    I agree with what Jen has said. I would only use the mat to cover a damaged dash.
    I did just that on an old Buick where the dash was self destructing. Plus + It did make it look nicer and there was no glare from the dash of course.

Minus - It was amazing how much dust that thing would hold (cough cough).

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlift
    I am wondering if it would be a good idea to install a dash mat on my 06 Toyota truck? I know that they do use adhesive velcro pads, so I am kind of reluctant to stick anything on a new dash that might be a pain to later remove (talking about the velcro that sticks on the dash itself--not the mat). If I take good care of the interior, detailing it regularly using uv protective products on the dash, would there be any reason to get a dash mat? Does anyone have any input either postitive or negative on dash mats? I mean, do they really serve a function?

Thanks.

Jack in WC
    Not knowing where you are located, (WC means water closet to me ), the mat is probably not a necessary thing. Some Southern states have a lot more sun problem than Iowa, but my Chevrolet Astro Van was 14 years old when I sold it and the dash was still like new. The vehicle was outside most of its life and had 303 used on it about every 60 days.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

The last one I had was an original DashMat brand mat. It smelled like an old burlap sack since the day it was new and never did go away. My father put one in his truck and I was riding with him not to long ago. I had this faint smell that was reminicent of the one I had. This is reason itself not to put one in.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

The last one I had was an original DashMat brand mat. It smelled like an old burlap sack since the day it was new and never did go away. My father put one in his truck and I was riding with him not to long ago. I had this faint smell that was reminiscent of the one I had. This is reason itself not to put one in.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

i have a dashmat in my truck. for some reason, i swear it makes the interior feel cooler in the summer. perhaps the dash isnt able to absorb & radiate off heat from the windsheild?

another reason that people like dashmats is that it eliminates glare on the windsheild from a shiny dash. i never noticed this glare until i drove the truck with the dashmat. its very helpful in that respect.
    -Carly

Post Thanks / Like

I vote against the unattractive mat.
    Use a good cleaner and protectant on the vinyl dash like God intended.
    1991 NSX Blk/Blk
    2005 Civic Si
    2003 Xterra SC < Sold!
    2006 NBP EXP Honda Element AWD

Thread Information