Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

$10,000 car wash

Not sure if this has been discussed before (I searched and it didn`t turn up anything).

FAZED - Videos

What do you guys think?

My initial thoughts were:

1) Why isn`t he using the two bucket technique or a foam gun?

2) For $10k, I`d expect the wheels to be removed to clean the insides and the wheel wells

3) Did it get washed again after claying?

4) That $6k Zymol wax is a joke

5) What about the interior and engine compartment?

6) Using a paint gauge was a nice touch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $10,000 car wash

Quote Originally Posted by TiredNGrouchy
    Not sure if this has been discussed before (I searched and it didn`t turn up anything).

It has, at length

FAZED - Videos

What do you guys think?

My initial thoughts were:

1) Why isn`t he using the two bucket technique or a foam gun?

I don`t. I use one large bucket with a grit guard and 2 sheepskins...No marrs/swirls here in over 4 months. Plus, look at the vehicles he`s working on...Do they look like mudrunners to you? Further, before I detail (clay/compound/polish) a car, the last thing I`m thinking about is minimizing micromarring. Why waste the time on washing when you can spend it polishing?

2) For $10k, I`d expect the wheels to be removed to clean the insides and the wheel wells

I`m not sure how practical that is on a super car (lug/bolt pattern). Plus, I think he has made quite the business for himself and it`s obvious that he has a following (www.miracledetail.co.uk), so I don`t think it`s hurting his practice.

My cars don`t, it`s a waste of time. Just a quick rinse and wipedown. Again, I like to spend more time on polishing, not worrying about what the boards think is correct

4) That $6k Zymol wax is a joke

Maybe, but I can think of plenty other products out there that are bigger laughing stocks in my mind. You could argue that "joke" statement if nobody bought the stuff, but, after detailing for a lot of high-end clients, many of their eyes light up when they find out the exclusivity of some of the products I use. It`s like a bragging point to their friends/colleagues ("My detailer uses $6,000 wax on my Maserati" --Call me superficial...I`d say it )

5) What about the interior and engine compartment?

Check the website.

6) Using a paint gauge was a nice touch

Wasn`t it? I don`t use one, but then again, never found a need. If I was working on an MC12 or a Bugatti Veyron, I`d sure as hell buy one. Did you happen to catch what it costs to "refinish" that MC?

PS - Great username...very fitting .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez

My cars don`t, it`s a waste of time. Just a quick rinse and wipedown. Again, I like to spend more time on polishing, not worrying about what the boards think is correct

Somewhere, the heavens are opening and angels are singing a melody.....

I think you nailed the other questions too, by the way. Wheter we think it`s worth it or not, obviously, some people do, and it`s hard to argue with that. The guy is doing some things right, even if you tend not to agree with all his detailing practices.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer

Somewhere, the heavens are opening and angels are singing a melody.....

I think you nailed the other questions too, by the way. Wheter we think it`s worth it or not, obviously, some people do, and it`s hard to argue with that. The guy is doing some things right, even if you tend not to agree with all his detailing practices.

Forget a page, I`m taking (notes) from his whole damn book .

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this before and it still amazes me how much he gets. But I guess when you are shelling out the kind of money these people are for cars $10K must be a drop in the bucket.

As far as the wax, with its "special carnuba" from Brazil...I mean most waxes have carnuba in it don`t they? I think it comes down to the percentages of carnuba in it. Zymols highest wax on their site which goes for $1822 for 22 ounces has 61% by volume. I am curious what percentage is in his wax.

Plus I think the English accent helps. I may have to try that the next time I go do a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan
    I have seen this before and it still amazes me how much he gets. But I guess when you are shelling out the kind of money these people are for cars $10K must be a drop in the bucket.

As far as the wax, with its "special carnuba" from Brazil...I mean most waxes have carnuba in it don`t they? I think it comes down to the percentages of carnuba in it. Zymols highest wax on their site which goes for $1822 for 22 ounces has 61% by volume. I am curious what percentage is in his wax.

Plus I think the English accent helps. I may have to try that the next time I go do a car.

The funny thing about that is carnauba, in it`s raw form, it a hard, dull, and brittle wax. It`s the oils and other additives that gives wax it`s gloss, so 61% by volume, in my eyes, would be a not-so-great wax. However, many don`t know the aforementioned info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez
    The funny thing about that is carnauba, in it`s raw form, it a hard, dull, and brittle wax. It`s the oils and other additives that gives wax it`s gloss, so 61% by volume, in my eyes, would be a not-so-great wax. However, many don`t know the aforementioned info.

Agreed. Here is the Zymol wax by Volume. I tried to find out how much is in Souverän but I couldn`t.

Typical waxes contain 3 to 5% Carnauba (not necessarily Brazilian No. 1 Carnauba) by volume. The greater the concentration of Carnauba the greater the level of protection and the higher the level of shine. Zymöl`s content of Brazilian No. 1 Yellow (and/or White) Carnauba in Zymöl standard waxes is:
    Creameâ„¢ 33% Yellow Carnauba

Carbonâ„¢ 37% Yellow Carnauba
    Japonâ„¢ 37% Yellow Carnauba
    Saabâ„¢ 37% Yellow Carnauba
    Volvoâ„¢ 37% Yellow Carnauba
    Concoursâ„¢ 47% Yellow & White Carnauba
    Italâ„¢ 35% Yellow & White Carnauba
    Titaniumâ„¢ 51% Yellow & White Carnauba
    Destinyâ„¢ 51% White Carnauba
    Atlantiqueâ„¢ 60% White Carnauba
    Vintageâ„¢ 61% White Carnauba
    Detailâ„¢ 38% White Carnauba
    Royaleâ„¢ 68%-70% White Carnauba

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As annoying as it is to see the same thread come up over and over and over and over again, I have to say this version of the "$10K Detailer" thread is quite refreshing.

Usually this thread is 100% about bashing the British guy. This thread is more a salute to him and his business savy. I like to read that because this is what I`ve personally thought about him the whole time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    As annoying as it is to see the same thread come up over and over and over and over again, I have to say this version of the "$10K Detailer" thread is quite refreshing.

Usually this thread is 100% about bashing the British guy. This thread is more a salute to him and his business savy. I like to read that because this is what I`ve personally thought about him the whole time.
    Well said, its true this thread noprnally becomes how big of an idiot he is. And honstley i think hes a genius, to be able to mkae thta much off an exterior detail (inside is extra) makes me very happy. I wish i could make that much. I really do trust me if i could charge it I would and im sure everyone else here would. Hell 5k
    As for the zymol wax dont discount them becaue of there price, yes some of them are aoutragous, for example the antiqulie (sp) at like 1400 bucks, however the carbon is a realy nice wax, i have tried it and loved the finish, as far as i was concerned it was a rival to sov. in price so when using it i expected the same level of shine and protection and was very impressed.
    And my finaly thought lol, the vintage. This is an intresting concept, free refils (yes you pay shipping and yes you get as many refils a year as you like, i have contacted them on a few ocasions.) This wax isnt viable to someone who is doing only personal cars or even a few cards on the side, however if you own a shop that is doing 2+ cars a day you go through alot of wax, so why not make a lagrer up front investemtn and have it pay itself off later. (and i know its a lot and you need alot of wax to make it equal in price to other waxes and yes you have to like it and they dont offer smaller jar sizes to try) I think its one of those produts that has to be a choice for the shop owner, I know if i get up to doing 14 wax jobs a week it might be somthing I want to try, however until that time comes i cant truly say.
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh i cant stand hearing about this guy anymore! Paul Dalton, the guy that brags about how he uses only the most expensive stuff.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneek
    Ahh i cant stand hearing about this guy anymore! Paul Dalton, the guy that brags about how he uses only the most expensive stuff.
    This is where most people get Paul wrong. He`s not bragging about how much he pays for his products. He is in fact marketing his services and trying to create value in the minds of customers and potential customers to support his high prices.

For instance, if you were buying a watch from me and I told you they were exactly the same except one is made of stainless steel and the other is made of white gold. They look almost exactly the same, but you would feel a higher price for the white gold watch is justified.

Post Thanks / Like

oh i don`t doubt it is a great marketing tool, i mean making the segment with Fifth Gear was also great marketing. Most people that watch Fifth Gear are car guys. Even if it got him one customer it was worth it for him, but it was a hit considering how its on every detailing+car forum.

I think how it is filmed kind of makes it look like he is bragging, i mean they jump throught the detail and all you hear is him mentioning prices.

The thing I don`t like about him is he says that the GT2 was perfect. I don`t know if it is possible to have a perfect car, I know he missed something somewhere. We all do, we are human. I guess if you don`t blow your own horn no one will, but i still kind of think that he is full of himself. Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

I understand were you commming from sneek. I know that when i first looked at it iw as like what a tool, then i thought about it and was like no i do the same, when i explain a detail to aperson they ask prices (normaly freinds) and you tell them not trying to brag or show off just becasue they ask. I do think the peice could have been done in better taste however what is done is done is done. I also think he is an arogant man, just check out his site, againo not done in good taste, but hey it works for him he makes al living which is mroe then lots so hey alll the power to him, arogant ot not hes doing somthing i know i would love to do, making a ton doing smothing he loves. Well these are just my 2 cents
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneek
    oh i don`t doubt it is a great marketing tool, i mean making the segment with Fifth Gear was also great marketing. Most people that watch Fifth Gear are car guys. Even if it got him one customer it was worth it for him, but it was a hit considering how its on every detailing+car forum.

I think how it is filmed kind of makes it look like he is bragging, i mean they jump throught the detail and all you hear is him mentioning prices.

The thing I don`t like about him is he says that the GT2 was perfect. I don`t know if it is possible to have a perfect car, I know he missed something somewhere. We all do, we are human. I guess if you don`t blow your own horn no one will, but i still kind of think that he is full of himself. Just my $0.02

Labeled as the "$10,000 Car Wash", I think he would have to justify that price, no? After all, it`s not all labor, is it?

Having watched the video a few times, I think it`s pretty clear that the interviewer (behind the camera) is on repeat saying, "Ok, and how much does that run?" Just the way he is answering makes it seems like it wasn`t his primary objective (he talks about the process and what the product does before the price).

Post Thanks / Like

I met a guy a guy from the UK a couple weeks ago at a customer`s house who says he has met this guy. He said he was nice. He also said that one of the reasons he gets $10K per car is because there is no competition in the area. It doesn`t have much to do with his process or his products. Lack of other choices have allowed him to set his prices wherever he wants to. I wouldn`t be able to charge 10K per detail, but I could go up another $50 bucks and still get it I would wager. I`m charging $40 bucks an hour and people are telling me that is a good deal when I quote them $160 for their messed up Camry. Around here people with half million dollar cars are cheaper than guys with twenty thousand dollar Hondas. He wouldn`t be getting $10K per car if he was in the US.

My house isn`t that big. It is about 2200 square feet. However, this house with my yard in the bay area in California would probably be worth 3/4 of a million bucks. Around here it is worth about 200. Value is totally relative on houses and it is the same for services. His work isn`t worth 10K around here, but maybe out there it is and we could all be making that kind of money if we marketed ourselves well enough in his area. All you have to do is match his services and take it up a notch. His marketing has a flaw in that he has told everybody his trade secrets. I wouldn`t be surprised to find out his lound approach to marketing has backfired on him and caused his market to get smaller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information