Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Observation That I Made Today

I waxed my flat black BMW yesterday...two weeks ago I detail a full paint detail on it and put on WG sealant, its really been garaged since....Yesterday I used the S&W then waxed it up really good....I noticed right away that the car looked some what oily and hazy in the light...Today I could see the dust that had collected from a couple of around town drives and it still had the hazy look....So I washed the car in cold water with soap, dried it off then hit it with QD spray...The car is perfect today no smudges, oily, hazy look what so ever.....The one thing that I have found is this non-metallic paint is unforgiving of any mistake that you make.

My observation is that after you get done waxing a car a cold water wash and dry might be a good thing to take that oily looks away...then a QD finish for a perfect car...IMO
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting Obversation That I Made Today

I usally hit it with a QD`er to get the extra pop no hazing,If you don`t mind me asking which wax did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    I usally hit it with a QD`er to get the extra pop no hazing,If you don`t mind me asking which wax did you use?
    Nattys blue is what I had and the hazing is caused by the oils in the carnuba IMO.....really I think that wax and sealants have a cure time 24 hours ...during that time they are harden on the car and that`s what I think is the hazing and oily look that they are producing...the cold water speeds up that process...I looked at the car today and its really allot better, less dust is the frist eveidence of that.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    Nattys blue is what I had and the hazing is caused by the oils in the carnuba IMO.....really I think that wax and sealants have a cure time 24 hours ...during that time they are harden on the car and that`s what I think is the hazing and oily look that they are producing...the cold water speeds up that process...I looked at the car today and its really allot better, less dust is the frist eveidence of that.
    Beemer i kinda slowed down on waxes due to the oil contents which i beleived was causing my car to become a dust magnet. After the oils in the wax have cured does this help eliminate much of the car attracting dust.

I ask because i was using high quality wax and my car seem to hold the dirt/dust more then ever. Now that being said before i was into this learning process i was using NXT spray wax weekly, not even bird poop would adhere to the paint in the summer. i could just about remove the poop entirely it would just pop off.

That being said im glad you have ressolved the hazing problem. I would be interested to know if you find the car getting dirtier then usaul after using wax with high oil content?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Beemer i kinda slowed down on waxes due to the oil contents which i beleived was causing my car to become a dust magnet. After the oils in the wax have cured does this help eliminate much of the car attracting dust.

I ask because i was using high quality wax and my car seem to hold the dirt/dust more then ever. Now that being said before i was into this learning process i was using NXT spray wax weekly, not even bird poop would adhere to the paint in the summer. i could just about remove the poop entirely it would just pop off.

That being said im glad you have ressolved the hazing problem. I would be interested to know if you find the car getting dirtier then usaul after using wax with high oil content?
    After the wax the car looks great until it get dirty and then its a dust bomb...washing the car with cold water takes that away..big time...today I have driven the car around town and its not dusty all the much...a noticeable difference from the fresh waxed car

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting Observation That I Made Today

At this im working with sealants no wax for a topper to see if if i notice the difference. Thanks for reply

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise. I never really considered the water temp. before but it does make sense. I will try this next time I wax my car.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an intensely interesting thread. I had heard that waxes needed curing, but I never heard why.

If detailing for a customer, who wants h/her car completed in 1 day`s time, is there another way to speed up the curing (other than what Beemer already posted)?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

So do you think this same principal would apply with the EX?

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    I waxed my flat black BMW yesterday...
    You have a BMW that is really flat black like a 50`s rat rod? Wow that must look strange. I`ve never had the problem with oils in the wax showing, then again I do apply very thing. I tend to use sealants due to our harsh weather conditions which vary a lot. Glad you found a method that you like and works for you.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kenobi
    You have a BMW that is really flat black like a 50`s rat rod? Wow that must look strange. I`ve never had the problem with oils in the wax showing, then again I do apply very thing. I tend to use sealants due to our harsh weather conditions which vary a lot. Glad you found a method that you like and works for you.
    By flat black I mean non-metallic paint its one of the hardest finishes that I have ever worked with...this is also the second BMW that I have had in this color, so I have a bit of experience with it

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    So do you think this same principal would apply with the EX?

Richard
    Richard

I`m not sure about this but on my last black BMW I used EX and it always looked better the next day (cure time) then even better after the wash a week later or less...Truly I think its really the paint color that gives this oily / hazy look...only because I don`t see it quite as much as on other cars

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that clears things up a bit Dave. I too have found that sealants look better a day later after they`ve had time to cure. Maybe it is a black thing, I`ve had two black cars in the past and that was enough.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kenobi
    Well that clears things up a bit Dave. I too have found that sealants look better a day later after they`ve had time to cure. Maybe it is a black thing, I`ve had two black cars in the past and that was enough.
    It is not just "a black thing". I`ve noticed this on a cream-colored car (from the 1970s) and on my dark gray cars of old.

Charles

Thread Information