Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I need advice on this engine

I am working on a show car Supra and need some advice. I`ve pretty much cleaned it up as much as it can be at this point. Next week sometime we are going to be replacing all the silicone hoses with new ones, so I`m not too concerned about those. My concern is with the polished pieces. I have used metal polish and the Eagle 1 wadding polish in the silver can (I forget the name). I also polished the chrome strut tower bar. Is there anything else I should do to this engine to make it look it`s very very best? I hadn`t done it yet in this picture, but I applied Wolfgang to all the painted pieces and surfaces of the engine bay. I need to reapply some CD2 to the hoses to increase the gloss, but I wanted to see how much of it we kept and what we replaced. I`m just trying to think of anything else I can do to make this engine win an award at a massive Supra show in Vegas at the end of the month. Here are some pictures. Any advice is appreciated.

The engine isn`t clear coated. Any other ideas to make the dull paint look better?

I`ve polished the chrome with everything I know how to use. Any advice from someone who has seen better results?

Really I am looking for the best bang for the buck when this hood is up. I want people to walk by this and stare in awe at the cleanliness. Nevermind the 800HP that the engine produces... :lol He won a trophy in 2001 for the cleanest engine at this show and I really want him to win it again.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need advice on this engine

Jngr...I would concentrate on some of the smaller details. You seem to have the majority of it looking top notch. I like to use those small craft sponges and a can of compressed air to remove dust and such from those hard to reach places.

How about trying to polish up the polished top of the radiator and the radiator cooling plate??? It seems to be an area that tends to strike you when you open the hood.

How about touching up the area where the hood stoppers are? I am sure that he has a small bottle of touch up close.

Just some small ideas. I think it looks outstanding so far.

Post Thanks / Like

The foam brushes are a great idea! Why didn`t I think of that??? I do need to hit around those hood stoppers with some QD and a tooth brush. There are some things that can`t be saved, but I think it still has some potential to be cleaner.

The radiator cooling plate and radiator are already polished. What would you use to make them even better? There is a stain that you can see on the cooling plate that I have no idea how to remove. I`d love to get rid of that.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a finer polish like Mother Billet?? I know that you used E1 wadding polish. I think that you will find something like Mothers will be finer and bring out the shine alittle more.

I noticed that mark on the cooling plate. That might be tough to get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a little consolation in knowing that no matter how much you polish aluminum it doesn`t have the potential to shine the way chrome or nickel does. After everything is said and done it is an open pore metal. You can clear coat it and get a pretty brilliant shine but raw aluminum only polishes so far. You can polish to your hearts content using various grit polishes and finish up using a jewelers rouge and buffing pad on a dremel, I`ve had pretty good luck using this on manifolds and alternator cases. You of course would want to cover anything else in the area, it will spatter. It looks pretty nice in the pictures.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas on the non clear coated surfaces? I tried wax and then I went for Wolfgang becaues of the heat. I don`t know if he is going to trailor the car or drive it to Vegas (I am hoping for trailor), but chances are the wax wouldn`t last long either way. Neither one really made a huge difference anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff I was talking about was for non clear coated surfaces. You can always take a look at a Zoops sealant kit (it closes the pores). It seals aluminum surfaces and makes it easier to not only polish but to keep it polished. I think you can pick these up through JEGS or Summit.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually refering to the painted surfaces, but that is good to know about the aluminum ones too.

You should come check the car out with me sometime, Gearhead. It is up in Highland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I was actually refering to the painted surfaces, but that is good to know about the aluminum ones too.

You should come check the car out with me sometime, Gearhead. It is up in Highland.
    I would love to.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

how might PB wheel sealent work... I know i used it on my intake and it seems to work good and steve said there should be a problem using it on paint...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... I don`t have any of that. How about DP wheel wax?

Post Thanks / Like

While it don`t come under the detailing category the thing that stands out to me in that picture is that battery I don`t like the red top but if the customer is going to use it tell him to get some black rubber covers and put on the terminals.

Post Thanks / Like

He has a cover for the battery that is being painted right now, so that isn`t a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great Anthony!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    He has a cover for the battery that is being painted right now, so that isn`t a problem.
    Then you are looking good that battery was the only thing that looks out of place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information